Cleveland National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mike Mike Motorbike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    radbrad- maybe we'll cross paths. I'll be on my 1090R, if I'm ambitious enoguh I'll take that road down to Clinton Keith from Ortega, then head up nate harrison grade to Palomar. Not sure what time I'll be starting though.
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Lots of ice, snow and mud at the top of Nate Harrison a few days ago
  3. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    hmm, probably not then. I still have a bum knee and ankle from my bike trying to rip my leg off in wreck the week of Thanksgiving.

I appreciate the heads up, maybe I'll just enjoy puttering around on road the whole time.
  4. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    Happened to find radbrad, even though I got a late start in the afternoon. nice meeting you! I also got this nice photo of the sun setting 20200106_171256.jpg
    breakdirt916 and radbrad511 like this.
  5. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thot I'd pass along that the Maple Springs gate at the end of Silverado Cyn was open yesterday 1/12/20. Very crowded out there so be careful - especially on the blind corners.
    Honda-50 and breakdirt916 like this.
  6. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    20200113_154314.jpg
    Rode up Maple Springs and down Bedford into Corona today. Wanted to make a loop around to Tenaja and take that road back to Ortega, but ran out of daylight because I procrastinate.

I was surprised at how much snow/ice is left, which is to say I was surprised to find any at all. As I was making my way down the Bedford side, a helicopter was buzzing around low in the general direction of where Maple Springs joins up with Main Divide and Harding Truck Trail. Hopefully nothing terribly serious happened, I passed by a hunter shortly after seeing the helicopter and my mind has a way of going to worst case type scenarios

I tend to avoid going to places like this on weekends, I've almost become a grill ornament on too many idiot's jeeps, SUVs, and trucks.

Only a few were out today, but of all vehicles I came across someone in a Scion toaster car a fair way up Maple Springs. Long live weekday rides!
  7. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    20200120_154006.jpg 20200120_140021.jpg

Beautiful day up there Monday afternoon

Attached Files:

SoCalAdventure and jnyrav like this.
  8. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    I'm glad they opened it again, I was annoyed to get to the Maple Springs gate on Thurs. morning to find it closed for several days because we were expected to get a little rain that night. My fault for not checking the road status in the morning, but still frustrating. Was worried they would keep it closed for what felt like another lifetime.
  9. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    Mountain lion attacked a 3 year old yesterday around 4:10pm...air lifted out with non life-threatening injuries. Lion was euthanized due to threat to public safety.

I was out adjusting the clickers on the YZ at Trabuco...tons of choppers out there

[​IMG]
    KICKNBACK, SoCalAdventure and ianmp like this.
  10. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad the gate is open! Prob going up Thursday to Elsinore to have lunch and back over. It'll be the first off-road for my '20 450L and my first since I sold my '07 450X.
    jnyrav and HBSURFDAD like this.
  11. SoCalAdventure

SoCalAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning Jan 19 turned out to be one of those days when you know the weather is going to be amazing. After a small shower Thursday evening the trails were likely to be in near perfect condition. So my buddy and I made plans to ride the canyon road out to the beginning of the trail head in the National Forest to see of the access gate was open. The NFS website said closed but they have a habit of not updating the website. Plus being a 3-day weekend for many the NFS likes to open the trail.

It turned out to be a good call. The trail was open.

Oh - note to self, on the way out I gassed up the XT225. Wanted to get an estimate on fuel economy based upon my adventure riding style. 68 MPG. Not too shabby. Likely worse when we play hard on the trails but I tend to make up for it by being an easy cruiser on the pavement.

Anyway - the trail up Maple Springs to Saddleback Peak was in amazing shape. Still a bit damp in a few shaded corners. Plus a little seepage in some areas.

But the real thrill, at least for us in So Cal, was when we hit a few sections with Snow! Yes, even here in south Orange County we see the snow line drop to as low as 2,000 feet a few times in the winter. However this was holdover snow and ice from December and all of it was above 3,000 feet. We did get into some thick ice sections closer to the summit at 5,000. Short in length but enough to make it interesting.

Really glad I listened to the instructors at the MC safety class. No issues in the snow and ice. Bummer we didn't stop for photos in these sections. Next time I will. See @ianmp managed to snag a good snow photo.

3/4way up. First summit at Main Divide / Harding Truck Trail (MTB / Hiking only)

[​IMG]

At the summit. Yes, that is a very tricked-out Honda Grom. Complete suspension rebuild, new exhaust, ECM, fender, lights, seat, etc.

[​IMG]

Made a new riding buddy, Alex and his CRF450L
    [​IMG]

Of course it isn't a ride if you don't stop for coffee and the fantastic homemade cookies at Silverado Market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great half-day of riding. Brought the bike home, grabbed some lunch, and the rolled out the power washer! Baby needed some love.

Ride on REVER: https://a.rever.co/rides/1618705

Bike is going to get some down-time for service next few weeks. Lube swing-arm. I plan to clean and paint the swingarm while I have the wheel off for a new rear sprocket. Replacing front sprocket, new chain, ordered a new upper chain guard (original was missing when I bought the bike), of course oil change, spark plug, and now at 7,000 miles adjust the valves. Probably repack / lube steering.

Enjoy and ride safe.

JP

PS: I live in south county - always looking for another local ride. At least when I'm not out on one of my bicycles. :-)
    bigtodd likes this.
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Nice that you stopped at the Market, it's always a good idea to support the local community, even if it's just a few bucks for coffee and cookies. I try and always stop for a coke or gatorade on the way out of Silverado or a beer and a sandwich at the Cafe.

Let's make it a thing ... ride the canyon - stop at the store!
  13. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Polluting the forest with the fresh smell of 927
    SoCalAdventure and breakdirt916 like this.
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Tried to ride Thomas Mountain Rd today from south to north on the mighty 1290 but was turned back by wet ice at around the 6200' level. I didn't want to try picking up 550 lbs on wet ice. Certainly rideable on a smaller bike as it was only around 50 yards long. May have been OK on the 1290 but the road climbs a little more and I wasn't sure what was ahead. But it was a pretty ride and temp's were around 60 up there. On another positive note, the Sugarloaf Cafe is open again Thursday - Sunday. And has been for a year but I didn't know 8^(. Over the last couple decades, it seems it's been closed as much as open. Not cheap but they bake their pies on premises and the coconut cream was excellent. https://www.thesugarloafcafe.com/ Located right at the top of the best part of the Palms to Pines section SR 74.

Thomas Mtn icy road.jpg

Attached Files:

SoCalAdventure and RonSJC like this.
  15. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    Not so sure this is CNF, but I've been wrong before. Either way I'm gonna need to look into these pies.
  16. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    It is Cleveland National Forest - the part that's east of I - 15
    breakdirt916 and Honda-50 like this.
  17. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    506AFA74-5C66-4126-A33C-51C7773A389F.jpeg
    CNF is huge
  18. SoCalAdventure

SoCalAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. SenorCollin

Oddometer:
    Not like it matters, I was looking up the pie place and on the map and it said San Bernardino Nat'l Forest. Not sure how far away the location in that picture was from Sugarloaf Cafe, I've never explored that area so I'm not familiar. It's unfortunate that the place isn't open on Tuesdays, I guess I'll have to do without pie tomorrow unless I find it elsewhere.
  20. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Take it with you eat it on top of the mountain problem solved
    3C621A59-1A0F-45E1-A609-51F44E5BADDD.jpeg