Cleveland National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mike Mike Motorbike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. TFC

TFC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It was a nice ride. Started out a bit chilly - lots of clouds/fog on the west side all the way to the top. I call this Gorilla in the Mist:

CB3D2531-C130-42AE-8ABC-EADED03982AA.jpeg 0528E9D6-BF45-4307-B0BA-B7D4D04F68EC.jpeg 2C351079-40E7-49A7-80BA-670A8C26C51C.jpeg
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  2. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Ah dang, I wish I had checked in on the forum Friday night to see your tag; totally would have joined in. Looks like a good ride.

Are those the new Dunlop ADV tires? How do you like them?
  3. TFC

TFC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep! Dunlops. This was really my first/only ride on them, so jury is still out. Definitely don’t have anything negative to say. Also I’ve never worn out a set of tires on a gs, so there’s a lack of experience too. Uh, they’re black? Haha

4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    My crew down in SD are loving on them. They are fantastic road tires, and the off road traction of the front tire is especially good. I have yet to see fellow GS riders in the sand with them though. I will probably look for something a little more aggressive off road.
    The best GS tire I've had yet is the Karoo Streets. The streets are good rubber, can take them all the way over to the edge of tread on pavement. And very good in sand up to 6 or 8" deep. Which is as much as most GS riders are willing to ride. Karoo Streets are an awesome everyday everywhere tire for most.
  5. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    I will be quizzing you on their performance at DV.

Interesting, my fellow 790 ADV riders are hating on the Karoos. The 790R comes with them from the factory, and everyone says they're shit on wet pavement and their off-road performance isn't good enough to justify keeping them when you can switch to any number of true 50/50 tires with better wet pavement traction and sand performance. This was actually a big factor in me choosing the Mitas E07s for my next set of tires which I'll be running for the DV Noobs rally and the WARPED rally.

I have had my eyes on the Dunlop Trail Max since they were released, as the engineers who designed those tires are the same ones who designed the Falken Wildpeaks I run on my Tacoma, but I decided I needed something with a little more aggressive tread for the upcoming spring off-road riding season.
  6. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that every rider will have a different opinion on tires due to different skill sets and throttle habits. A skilled rider on crappy tires will far out ride a mediocre rider on the best of tires. Throttle clutch and balance can have as much or more to do with traction as the tires. And often times when we start falling down we want to blame the tires instead of the skill set. Several of my 1200 riding buddies can ride circles around me on TKC 70’s while I’m on EO7’s or K60’s. Tires matter. But not as much as skills. So keep this in mind when you hear tire reviews (and bike reviews).
    My praise of the Karoo Streets are based on high speed touring, hard canyon carving, and participating in several off road training class, including how to ride in desert sand. We don’t get much rain here, but when we do it gets SLICK on the roads. I haven’t lost the rear yet but then again I don’t push the corners until it dries out again. My son commutes in Seattle year around though and loves the Karoo Street in the endless rain. He has similar riding style to me too.
    I’m stoked to see a few dozen reviews of the new generation of ADV tires. There is some very cool stuff hitting the streets.

As always, YMMV.
  7. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, it could be that the Karoos work better on the heavier ADV bikes? The 790 is fairly light when it comes to the "big bike" ADV segment, at only 450 lbs. But I will admit that the 790 tire thread is filled with 790R owners who insist on treating their bikes like a dualsport dirtbikes instead of middle weight ADV machines, so their opinions could vary widely with my idea of what a tire needs to do. Wet weather performance is important to me, because like you said, when it rains in SoCal it's slick. And I'm not going to let a little rain stop me from riding to work.

So many tires to try now that I have a bike with a 21/18 wheelset.
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I doubt the 790 crowd goes triple digits regularly like many CALIFORNIA GS riders as well.
  9. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    There are too many Starbucks to stop at for any GS to get up to speed
    breakdirt916 and theGrinch like this.
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    If you use Dynamic mode, it gets right up to speed ...
  11. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    since maple springs was closed for rain, and it didn't rain Trabuco was my only mid afternoon dirty spot

[​IMG]

mud hole is being dug back up...kids still aren't staying off the side trails...weather was good tho!
    theGrinch likes this.
  12. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    :evil:ricky
  13. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It's all about the two wheel set life. In my case I went from 1 set of tires every 2 months to going on 4 months now. Plus switching over isn't that hard nor time consuming.
    Zubb likes this.
  14. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    hmm...forecast for rain was a flop...so snuck in another Trabuco run after work

[​IMG]

the rain ruts/whoops after rain from cages are getting worse

almost looks like a mini mx track whoops section

maybe a SBNF next in April...if I recall correctly, the black diamond off shoots from the silverwood dam staging side wasn't that bad
    ianmp and theGrinch like this.
  15. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    haha that looks so shitty. Waiting for a bar clamp bolt then I'm going in there. What happened to your 350?
  16. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    The maple springs gate was closed when I went by at noon today, with a Deputy making sure nobody went around the gate.
    villageidiot and breakdirt916 like this.
  17. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Did he look like this
    7FD6EB9D-72EC-4B78-8148-C6121771C555.jpeg
  18. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried to take South Main Divide to Tenaja Falls to do a hike on Saturday, the gate was locked up before you start dropping down to Wildomar OHV like it was for something like two years. Frustrating, to say the least. My own fault for not looking online before though. I was in a jeep so no dice for me, but no LE was posted up there and plenty of bikes were just riding around the gate by going down and around the stupid railings that started getting put up a few years back. People were even unloading bikes out of their trucks with their kids, not just dual sports.
  19. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    even during stay-at-home-order, the forest still sucks

[​IMG]

snowy peak from Friday
    KICKNBACK, theGrinch and HBSURFDAD like this.
  20. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    NSFW, theGrinch, breakdirt916 and 2 others like this.