Clipping BST40 Spring?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Reformed DucFlogger, Sep 8, 2006.

1. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Sommer KTM sell a different spring and a slide with bigger "transfer ports".

They only recomend it for the DUke IIRC.

I'll try and find a reference, but my german Suck's, don't hold ya breath for a part # from me.

I'm thinking I'll leave the spring alone and drill the ports on mine.

After I lower the float height a smidgen, as I thought I cured the "BST bog" when I did it last time, but a few laps of an mx track made it show up again:bluduh
  2. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I've been thinking of this bog situation and I had this thought.... I might be way off here as I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to carbs....
    I've read through most of the bogging threads and it seems that the float height adjustment improves the bogs situation, but not completely. This baffles me. I started thinking along the lines that the float gets to bouncing up and down when going through whoops or rocks (as mine does when it bogs). Based on the oscillation thought it got me thinking of airplanes (my work). When we change any of the flight controls we have to go through a lot of flutter analysis in order to find a balance of correct feeling at the control stick and not having an aileron or elevator start to shake it's self to pieces. The aileron and elevator have counter weights to help with this.

So my thought is what if one was to add weight to the tip of the floats? Wouldn't that slow the float movement down or help reduce oscillation? Of course you'd have to find a new sweet spot as far adjustment of the float goes.

I don't know if this will work or not, or even if I'm on the right track, but I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I had to get it out for discussion. My bike is totally taken apart right now for maintenance so I haven't tried this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  3. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]My recent thoughts regarding bog is that the main jet isn't shrouded properly. One carb I have has some strategically placed fuel cell foam which shrouds the main jet area. The idea is that it dampens any splashing going on and prevents the main jet cavity from going dry.

So probably what I would try, is take some of the yellow fuel cell foam and make a sort of shroud which fits over the main jet and seals against the bowl when you assemble it. I would probably make a washer shaped piece with a 1" hole and thick enough so that when you tighten down the bowl it stays put. That's what they did on my PSI carb and that was the explanation of its purpose.