Close call of the day

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by MrBob, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MrBob

MrBob Rabbitbrush Ranger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding my R100R on a two-lane road in north Florida and had to stop in my lane while waiting for opposing traffic to allow me to make a left turn - my least favorite place to be in traffic. I keep glancing in my mirrors and see an Escalade coming up behind me. It keeps coming and I realize the it isn't slowing down - at all. When it's about ten feet behind me I gas it and shoot straight ahead and tense up waiting for impact. In my mirror, I can see a bumper about a foot behind me and then I hear tires squealing under hard braking. We both come to a stop with the SUV about two feet behind me. I just turned and looked at the woman driving. I'm sure we were both terrified and I felt like throwing up.
    wee-twin, JaySwear, treybrad and 13 others like this.
  2. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Situational awareness wins. Glad you are here to remind us. :thumb
    ramblin66 and neanderthal like this.
  3. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Damn bro, you just used up one of your nine-lives. I've used up so many over the years, I think I'm drawing a negative by now.

Glad you are still with us. Goes to show how situational awareness (mentioned above) can really save your bacon.
  4. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She was on her cellphone?
  6. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Of course she was on her cell phone... she was DRIVING !
  7. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Silly me: She can't drive unless she's on her cellphone, and she can't be on her cellphone unless she's driving.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  8. MrBob

MrBob Rabbitbrush Ranger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many (many) years ago I was on my year-old 74 Norton Interstate and paying less attention to my 6 as I pulled over to the side of a highway just south of Tampico, Mexico. I was nearly stopped when a Chevy slammed into me from behind. I launched over the bars and hit the highway on both knees. It took 4 guys to pry my bike from the front of the car and I was in pain for the next three years.
    Lesson learned.
    scrubb likes this.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job avoiding a nasty accident. I teach the basic riding course, good story to share with students when we’re talking about situational awareness.
  10. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder. Glad you saved yourself.
    I always try to watch the mirrors when stopping or even approaching a light. It is amazing how many people don't think a red light applied to them. I try point the bike a the best escape route when stopped and keep it in gear with the clutch in.
    valvestem likes this.
  11. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I make sure to watch my 6 regardless if I am on my bike or in my truck. Hell, I almost got taken out the other day by a minivan blowing a stop sign while on my mtb bike!
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  12. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I regularly go around the block to approach a turn off from the opposite side to avoid what you are describing. Just too many idiots out there; cage safety and texting makes it worse.
    Desce, ScEd and ChicoProf like this.
  13. OldMud

OldMud /dəˈbôCHərē/

Oddometer:
    Glad you had your wits about you, and you're ok! I too ride in FloriduH and it is a test in defensive riding everyday.
  14. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Often at a stop the brake light isn't on, because we're grabbing the clutch not the brake. Is that what happened? I've gotten into the habit of consciously tapping the brakes when stopped in the roadway.

Glad it worked out okay.
    steve3b3 likes this.
  15. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grabbing the clutch without touching the brake is a bad habit.

If there's even the slightest slope, if you lose balance for some reason (wind, whatever), if your foot slips, and so on...your chances to eat the ground are higher.

1st engaged, cluth in, left foot on the ground, right foot on the rear brake.

And if the conditions are bad, I add the front brake too.
    Unca Fud, Rider2, neanderthal and 2 others like this.
  16. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've gotten into the habit of watching my 6 and when a cage is approaching, I tap my brake about 4X. I ride in a lot of traffic and the tales of riders getting butt packed are numerous. Just remember, if you're on the rear brake, tapping the front brake does nothing.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  17. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, on hilly ground. On uneven ground or in windy or unstable conditions (on the bike as the ferry approaches and then collides with the dock, which can come close to knocking the bike over... common here in western WA) I find it's better to have both feet on the ground, RH on the front brake, LH on the clutch or bike in neutral (neutral while on ferry, or in gear w/engine off... don't want to accidentally ride off the ferry into the water). Two feet down and the bike balanced virtually eliminates the chance for a foot to slip, even if on a hill. At a light, I'll have the bike in gear with the clutch in, both feet down, and if I need the brake it will be the front brake. Maybe it's me and my lack of inseam, but I can let go of the brake and feather throttle and clutch to get out of the way, and easier to just squeeze the brake lever to flash the tail light. I also line up in the lane so I'm not blocked by a car in front and I can get the hell out of there if I hear skidding behind me or see that the approaching car isn't slowing.
    nk14zp likes this.
  18. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm going to play devils advocate. There is a physiological condition that was first 'discovered' by WWII pilots (I can't find the name) and before them sailors. Anyway, fixed objects, including fixed lights- disappear into the background information your eyes are sending your brain. In otherwords, your bike, as viewed when it is not moving, or when it is not moving relative to the drivers eye, blends into the background and is not evaluated as important/critical. Think about when you are driving; do you see EVERY telephone pole? Every sign post? Every piece of retread on the road? Ofcourse not. Your eye certainly saw that piece of retread and sent that info to your brain, the brain received that info and categorized it based on what action you should take (prior experiences/training). Usually, you drive right past the retread and don't even realize you did. Go back and take a look at your go-pro on that uneventful ride...you will see things for the first time that could have killed you, but didn't.

So, lady is driving up to an intersection. She has stopped at intersections thousands of times before (experience /training). She knows to stop at the limit line, problem is you occupy that space between her and the limit line. Her eye's saw you and her brain relegated you to the background. Happens all day every day. Left hand turns in front of motos. So, what to do to lesson this natural tendency? Airplanes are fitted with flashing lights, as are towers, high power lines, lighthouses, tall buildings, Police cars, firetrucks, etc. First, what was the dominate color she was looking at? Dark bike, dark helmet, dark riding cloths? Second, was your brake/running light fixed? or flashing? Get some extremely brite pulsating brake lights. This flashing is not natural in the world, your brain will say "hey, WTF is that?" Same thing with super brite(6000k) forward facing daylite running lites and modulating headlites.. Your brain goes " hey, is that a spaceship landing-WTF". The reality is folks will notice you AND thier brain will not be able to relegate you to the background. You will be safer.
    Desce, Red_Label, ChuckS and 6 others like this.
  19. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Best post I read in a while...all rings true...in FL they do not require turn signals (were they on?, although it may not help depending on size, etc.). So many dual sports and sport bikes with very small tail lights around here w/o turn signals. Did you have Hi-VIS gear on? Waiting for the next gen helmet that has a flashing red light in the back of it connected to the bike via Blue-tooth on a bright White/Yellow Helmet...I don't want to look cool, I just do not want to get hit from behind while stopped. (could be a nice complement to Hi-Vis Vests)
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  20. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your brain goes " hey, is that a spaceship landing-WTF".

:lol3

Excellent post! I read recently that a twist on this dismissal of static objects is one reason so many police cars get hit from behind when they are pulled over to the side of the road, even if their lights are flashing. The on-coming driver sees the lights flashing and says "oh there's a cop car/ambulance/whatever" but since it's butt is facing the on-coming car the driver thinks it's MOVING with it's lights on , i.e. chasing some other motorist, moving in the same direction he's driving. So they happily drive right into the ass-end of the parked cop car. It has happened so often here in Virginia that the police have started angling their stopped cars so that at least part of the SIDE of the car is facing the on-coming traffic and the driver will subconsciously think "hey, WTF, that cop car is turning in front of me!" and slow down.

You just have to assume the average cage driver is NOT paying attention to driving and take precautions. I ride with a "paranoid-aggressive" style, always assuming I'm invisible and ready to get the fuck out of the way when necessary using either the brakes or the throttle. It has worked so far... And +1, glad the OP didn't get road-killed.