Close call of the day

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by MrBob, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Mr Bob - so glad you are not hurt! Great move on your part. Fucking drivers are terrible.
  2. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I saw a boxer do a demonstration on youtube years ago. He could throw a punch and a professional boxer couldn't stop it. The trick was his punch came straight - absolutely straight towards the guy's eye. No side motion at all. He explained that your vision system will pick up the movement by any side movement, but straight on it warns you too late. This was a professional boxer looking right at him and they could not see his punch coming.

It's sort of the same thing coming up on a stopped car in the road. Even worse. Your brain has been seeing cars on this road for years and all of them have been moving. Now, here is one that looks the same, except it is not moving. This is very easy to miss, I mean hit. That's one reason people do the SMIDSY weave in front of left turning cars.

The moral here is to look different. Wear his vis, have a flashing light on your bike or a light bar. Stand out and break through their consciousness.
  3. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of not seeing stuff that's right in front of your face; my wife and I drive this section of road at least twice a day on our way into town and back but we never noticed this new house being built until last weekend. It is remarkable how you can filter stuff out mentally when you are doing something routine like your commute. We were shocked at ourselves for missing this thing - it has evidently been under construction for MONTHS and is easily visible from the road once you pull your head out of your rut and look around. Duh.

[​IMG]
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  4. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha you're funny. Around here, the limit line is what you straddle when you stop, then creep forward until you're completely in front of it so the car behind you can stop at it.
  5. 79Spitfire

79Spitfire n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, here too, I think they are trying to get the stop line between the rear bumper and rear wheels.
  6. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I have bright flashing brake lights and just added aux lights to the front with amber lenses...here is a great video on the way the eyes/brain works, and how we are invisible...
    Chickenstrip and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike has a modulating headlight. I can turn it on and off and do so according to how I read the traffic. I don't think there's any doubt that it gets me seen in traffic. The PO added a blinking brake light for greater visibility from the rear, which I think is a very good idea.
    I've done my share of hating on drivers who turn left in front of riders, but understanding how the brain is recording and processing information in these situations has got to be valuable information that we can use to protect ourselves.
  8. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Small weave when coming to stop can be helpful, creates that side to side motion that was mentioned
    Sal Pairadice and CaptCapsize like this.
  9. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years and years ago, I had a beard. Got tired of it and shaved it off. About 3 months later, one of my co-workers stopped me in the hallway and said "you look different, did you change something?", err well, no, not recently, but I shaved my beard. "Yes, that's it, when did you do that?"
    We saw each other, talked to one another, sat in meetings with each other just about every day.
  10. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The light just down from my house is set up with the stop line for the turn lane set back a ways from the one for the straight lane, to allow trucks turning onto the road to make the turn safely. Most cars stop completely forward of the line. When they come up to the light, the green for cross traffic turns red, but if they don't stop at the line, you know, where the induction loop is set into the road, they never get the green. Cross traffic just goes back to green. I love watching people blow past their stop lane, then impatiently keep inching further and further from where they need to be to get a green light. Usually they eventually end up running the red, or someone else comes up behind them to trigger it.
  11. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It must be fun watching them try to back up 50 feet to give room for a turning truck too, especially if there's traffic behind them.
  12. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the good news is that there isn't a ton of truck traffic from that direction, so that's not a common issue.
  13. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always check the mirror to see what's coming from behind at a red light. If I don't think they are slowing, I start blinking my brake lights. I haven't been rear ended yet, but you only need to day dream once.

I was stopped at a red light a few years ago, in the left lane, to make a left turn (of course). The light was red and in the far right lane I see this Dump truck blow through the red light going at least 65. He never even slowed down. Thank goodness there was no traffic or he would have smashed them to smithereens. I think about that every time I'm at that intersection. It helps keep me alert.
  14. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good video. Another one not covered in the video is the fact that everyone has a natural blindspot in each eye that corresponds to where the optic nerve enters the eyeball. Just as it is with scanning and peripheral vision, the brain just makes stuff up to fill in this blind spot. A motorcycle coming directly at a driver can easily be hidden in that blindspot and I've heard it postulated that this could be a significant contributor to the "left turn" accidents.

Get kinda close to your monitor, cover your right eye with your hand and stare at the "+" with your left eye. The red ball will disappear as it moves through your eye's blindspot.

[​IMG]

I recently got a neat demonstration of the brain's ability to make shit up while doing a candle lantern ghost story tour in a cave. When we were deep into the cave our guide said we were going to play a game called "blow out your candle or I will" to show us this crazy brain trick. Generally, we are never really exposed to absolute darkness because there is always a little ambient light from a crack under the door, electronic devices, moonlight or streetlight through a window, or whatever. In the cave it was absolute darkness, and after a few minutes of standing there with your eyes open the brain can't rectify why it doesn't see anything so it starts making up all kinds of trippy imagery. The second you shut your eyes it stops because the brain can accept that it sees nothing when your eyes are closed. Open your eyes and it will start all over in a few minutes. It was an interesting experience.
    CutterBill likes this.
  15. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just returned from the 2 mile commute back to work for a quick bite to eat at home on a stunningly beautiful day. I'm always aware of intersections... even ones where I have full right-of-way and the perpendicular traffic has a stop sign. I was just gonna wear jeans with my Klim Induction jacket, but elected to wear pants. I was almost back to work and some idiot in an older 90s Dodge sedan (that was stopped at their stop sign) just pulls-out in front of me. My brain does its usual quick Q&A of "is this REALLY happening???" and then I grab a handful of front brake and hit the rear brake pedal. I laid a long streak of rubber and kept the bike under control. The IDIOT cager just keeps on rolling and after I've got my act together enough to lay on my horn, they throw their arm out the window as if to ask "WHAT did I do???". I've been nearly hit four times in the past couple of weeks on this same commute (including one where a Beemer sedan was flying-up on my butt and weaving all over the road... at 30mph over the speed limit). But this experience was the closest. I'm still shaking over 30 minutes later.

All it does is ro reinforce the "ALL the gear, ALL the time" mantra. Cagers are STUPID and you've got to pretend that they all want to be bowling balls... and everyone on two wheels are the pins.

P.S. A long time coworker's husband was just killed on his cruiser. It was 1AM on Sunday morning (I tell my kids that nothing good ever happens after midnight) and he wasn't wearing his helmet. I honestly suspect that alcohol was involved (DUH!). It's still very sad. He was 53 and had five kids. There's only so much we can do to protect ourselves on two wheels. But wearing our gear, not riding at night, and not drinking are three of those things. I'm not judging him. Just reinforcing the lesson of things to avoid if you want to enjoy your passion longer.
    Unca Fud likes this.
  16. Red_Label

Red_Label Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. I was a pilot in a former life and that's why you had to scan the horizon constantly. Objects that were not moving were coming straight at you. But it's easy to miss seeing those objects in the vast expanse of sky.
  17. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Driverless cars? Meh. We already have them.
  18. Souljer

Souljer Recycling Electrons

Oddometer:
    The original post brings up several memories and thoughts.
    When I first started riding I read about “the swerve” to attract attention and started doing it. I usually do it when in a lot of traffic but traffic that is still moving; like a full but fast freeway or a busy street as we approach a green light. It works. You don’t have to swerve all over the place. As stated, you just need to separate yourself from the ambient background. Give people a reason to notice you. My first close call was before I learned this (left turn in front of me, then stops and blocks the road {!?!?}). It’s another story I won’t bore you with.

I had a very similar experience as the original post. I was sitting at a red light. I had already started the habit of watching my mirrors and general surroundings. As I’m waiting for the light to change I notice a large black SUV coming up behind me. It’s a ways off and still had time to slow and stop. It never did slow. When I decided that it was not slowing down and I had no where to go since I was right at the intersection I tried something I had recently upgraded on my old bike.

While watching the SUV racing down on me, my left thumb slides around and onto the horn button. I unleash about 140 dB of angry compressed air! I remember seeing the SUV sort of stop short and slow way down. It felt like they heard the sonic attack and did the old brake-and-look-around. They obviously saw that they were approaching an intersection now and calmly stopped behind me. I’m not sure if they even knew it was my horn. The horn the bike came with was probably inadequate from day 1, then add 20 plus years and it was like an old asthmatic goat that died two days ago. Now it makes people wake up and look around. I’ve literally seen people jump in their car seats from the blast. While they are briefly paying attention, looking for the oncoming train, I skate by.

One thing I really like about a horn is that it works in all directions and even if someone is not looking at you or paying attention to you.
    That’s important and there is nothing else like it.

Moral: Get a FUCKING LOUD horn and use it. That is what a horn is for. If you are afraid of saying “FUCK YOU!!” all the time (understandable and reasonable) when you really want to say “Excuse Me” sometimes, practice giving it a friendly double tap. Mine will give a quick and friendlier “Beep, Beep” if I am gentle and quick. Learn how to use it and then use it.

The second thing I want to share is to have a plan in mind. The original poster was aware of what was happening and even saw how things might develop but did not have much of an escape plan besides moving up as far as possible and then relying on the incompetent driver. I don’t consider hoping and praying adequate riding or safety techniques.

If one’s first thoughts are “I can’t believe this is happening”, or “I’m about to be hit” or slamming on the brakes when hard braking might not be the best choice in a particular situation, but that’s the unprepared default, that does not sound too good. Doing those things is wasting time (you might only have seconds to choose a path). Instead of focusing on what you don’t want, mentally target what you do want; where you do want to go. This is easier if you do it ahead of time. You know, like practicing and stuff like that.

I would go over in your mind what happened and start mentally rehearsing an escape route. Then when you go out, start thinking in terms of options rather than just your Plan A and no idea what to do if you ever need a Plan B. For me the Plan A (where I’m planning on going) does not change too much. My Plan B and C change constantly as the ride evolves and progresses. The weather might change, so I’ll ride differently, the road condition might change from what I expected so I’ll ride more appropriate to those conditions, and of course others on the road might/ will influence how I ride.

Case in point and my Closest Call.
    In the video example I changed my plan from A to B to C all within about 2 seconds. First I was going where I was planning to go; commuting to visit my mom (A). Then I saw and ACCEPTED what was about to happen; the two cars in front of me are about to collide. I changed my path to veer to the right (B). You can clearly see me sharply turning right in the slow-motion helmet footage since you can see my bars and gauges at the bottom of the frame. Then I changed my mind because I did not want to be right behind that white car and instead decided to split between the black car and it’s wheel (C). -See my avatar.

After all that I turned around and went back to the crash to see how everyone else did.
    That is on videos 0034 and 0035 on my channel. FYI miraculously, no one was seriously hurt or killed. This of course takes about an extra 20-30 minutes.

I show up to my mom’s and she’s mad that I’m late. I listen to the brief lecture as she vents. I don't want to worry her so I decide to take the hit, get it over with and drop the subject.
    I can only offer the feeble excuse,
    “... Traffic was a killer today ...”
    I never told her what really happened.

Cheers.
    :-)
    TimCC and bomose like this.
  19. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer: