Close calls

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by telejojo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    There may be another thread about close calls but for what it's worth I am starting this one. Sunday about twilight I was riding my scooter (Kymco 500) and got in the turn lane to turn left and was waiting for traffic to clear when some guy in a pickup gets into the turn lane coming at me.There were cars beside me moving in both directions and he just kept coming not even think about stopping, he must have been pissed that I was there. I just gunned it and went right as he missed me by inches and he never slowed down or stopped. I barely missed the car beside me which would have been better than head-on. I still don't know what the guy was thinking it was like he didn't care if he ran over me or not. Be careful people just don't care.
    9Realms likes this.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close calls are a daily thing in my experience. Wish it weren't so, but it is. Some are my own mistakes, many are not. Do what I can to mitigate them.

Heavy traffic tends to have more of them, but I suspect that's simply a numbers/percentage thing. For truthfully, I see a lot of it out on rural roads as well.
    Railrocker likes this.
  3. Railrocker

Railrocker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hearing squealing tires behind you when stopped is the one scary moment.. I have flashing brake lights and I’ll never know how often they may have saved my bacon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Fleksta

Fleksta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, just yesterday a car came straight at me and corrected halfway over the line. Young girl with her phone in front of her face, doubt she even put it down after. :fpalm

Luckily I had plenty of runout room on the right. It blows my mind that there aren't more "accidents" every day.
    ozmoses likes this.
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Glad you are alright. Sadly, scooters don't command a lot of respect from autos in traffic.
    Have you thought of a big HORN, like a Stebel? I just put one of these on my Versys 650 and it's great. I found a spot behind a faring panel where it just fit and made a bracket for it so it's out of sight but still very, very LOUD.

41AnNM8zFEL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4

Other than that, hi-viz everything, flashing brake light, even some forward facing aux. lights to keep you safe?
  6. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of a time when I was on my way to the Honda shop early Saturday morning. I was stopped for a red light and suddenly heard brakes squealing behind me. A woman in a car apparently left her braking to the last second. I put the kickstand down, dismounted a walked back to her car and said thanks for stopping.:lol2
  7. MarioThePlumber

MarioThePlumber I like math

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, I looked at my speedometer for a moment, looked back up and saw the car in front lock their brakes.

I grabbed a handful of front brake and endo'd to a stop one foot behind their bumper. My adrenaline was pumping for the next hour or so.
    Tinker1980 and CSI like this.
  8. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Close call and lucky timing...

Riding my dad's Honda CB750 many years ago and got caught up in the scenery, looked forward just in time to see everyone in front of me stopped for a car turning left. I grabbed all the brake I could but knew there was no way I was going to stop in time. I swerved left as the oncoming car passed, the turning car began their turn as this was the same car he was waiting for, and I sqeaked between their rear bumper and the front of the first car in line. Many honks told me the drivers thought I did this on purpose. I accelerated away feeling like an idiot and stopped out of sight shortly after to stop shaking.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
  9. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine was waiting second in line at a traffic light. He checked his rear view mirror and saw a car approaching at high speed. He though this car is never going to make it, he decided to ride into the right turn lane and saw the car coming to a stop about half way in to the car he had been stoppen behind.
  10. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My closest call was commuting to work one day. I was in the left lane with a heavily landscaped median and doing teh limit, about 35 mph. When a State Trouper hiding in the bushes on the median, facing traffic, turned on lights and siren and pulled out to go after a speeding car. He pulled out, then slammed on his brakes when he saw me, blocking a little more than half my lane. Being an somewhat inexperience rider, I locked up both front and rear brakes, instead of a proper evasive maneuver. My thought this is going to suck, starting my day by sticking my helmet through the troupers windshield. Still upright, I slid by the front bumper barely clearing it. I came to a stop with the bike stalled, well past the cop still upright. Once I was clear of the cop car, he took off whipping a u turn off burning rubber. I restarted the bike shaking quite a bit, I continued. About half a mile later he had pulled the speeder over. He didn't even look my way as I rode by.
  11. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Think I may have stopped and given him a piece of mind!
    Tall Man likes this.
  12. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:

Douchebag......HE damn near caused a wreck, and then didn't have the decency to at least check on you and apologize?
    Tall Man likes this.
  13. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you run into a cop car, it will be your fault, no matter what the real circumstances.:(
  14. mebgardner

mebgardner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is getting harder for them to justify. Nearly all cop cars now have dash cam and sound. Many troopers now have full time body cams as well. It's better for the to just tell "the truth", as best they remember it. (And therein lies the caveat).

How about you guys? Are you riding with full time cams yet?

I want to do this, but it seems the current of offering with the "surround" view have too many problems. The selections with true rear facing lens have an actual "on time" of less than an hour. Then, they quit due to dead battery. Others use a "looking straight up", or "looking straight down" single lens. Their run time is better, but the usefulness of the resulting video is questionable.

So, for now, I would have to settle for the front facing view only. I guess it's better than nothing. But, it does not help for the distracted driver coming up from behind, and that seems to be one of the main threat these days.
  15. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My worst close call was in a group ride of 8 bikes. 04 HD EG, two up. Lead rider thought the turn was a mile up the road instead of RIGHT HERE. I was in trail position, grabbed too much of the rear brake and it locked up. I let it go and went up the middle of the dual line waiting to turn left. Thankfully a pickup was coming the opposite direction and nobody had started the turn.

I STILL hate group rides.
  16. Nicksta43

Nicksta43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really don't have close calls. I can count maybe two in my entire riding career that I would even consider close, but in actuality weren't anything to hard to figure a way out that situation.

I thought maybe I was just being oblivious to it but even after getting a camera and going back to review for things I may have missed during the ride I haven't find anything.

:dunno
    SocalRob, Desce and CCitis like this.
  17. Skyway6

Skyway6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Close one on Sunday. Just out for a short 3-4hr ride as it too hot to ride far.
    Making my way home the long way around. In left lane stop at a light. About 500ft ahead at next light i can see one of those road crew trucks with the arrow.
    Truck is right at the corner where i intended to turn right.

Green light, head thru. parked cars in right lane on other side so traffic slows and people merge in from right. The left lane road surface looks black, similar to what you would see if they were paving a nearby street and the black gets transferred to the older surface.

Traffic stops approx 200ft from next light. Bike is closer to right lane (parked cars) put right foot down. Then left and foot slides out a bit. WTF!!
    Test the surface with my foot and it is slippery as snail snot. The surface is coated with oil and it gets worse as you get closer to next light.

Thankfully there was a side street almost next to me so i slowly turned and got the hell away from there. Could have been bad if i was going normal speed and there was light traffic. Probably would have low-sided for sure. ABS maybe would have stopped me but then would have dropped bike when i put my feet down and both slide out.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel In desperate need of a nap.

Oddometer:
    I nearly get killed on my bike just about every time I go places where there are other cars.
  19. Skyway6

Skyway6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    weirdest close call. Almost a Twilight Zone moment.

In 2015 on a Honda CBR500R. Busy city street (east - west travel direction) Two travel lanes and a third with parked cars in each direction. I am east bound. Coming up to a very sketchy intersection. There is always left turners both east and west bound lanes.

The view of a left turner heading west (across my path) is pretty much blocked by east bound left turner. You have to be almost in the intersectin for you to be visible. I am always on high alert through here.

This one time though, maybe 300ft back from light i had to go around a bus that was stopped. So right lane, to left lane and back to right due to left turner ahead.

As i enter the intersection a car turns left in front of me. This is the strange part. I remember seeing the woman in the drivers seat illuminated by my head light shining through passenger window. Her arm is outstretched in my direction to either or sheild her eyes from the light / glass from soon to be shattered window.

I do not remember braking or swerving or even reacting. Did not hit her. I carried on like absolutely nothing happened. Was not upset, no adrenaline rush, nothing. If it had ended like that i would think that maybe it was not as close as i thought.

But at the next light a few blocks down. I was in left lane. The bus that i went around previously, the driver stopped beside me, slid his window open to say, Boy that was a close one.

it was like one of those movies where all the atoms in my bike and body passed through all the atoms in her car.
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. Prof J

Prof J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gatineau, Canada. Nice curves, awful pavement