Cloudcroft Trip 2010

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by wbbnm, Jul 31, 2015.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are tracks of a DS ride we did from Albuquerque to Cloudcroft NM and back in fall 2010.

Most of the trip was on easy dirt roads. There are a few primitive sections.

And when we got to Cloudcroft we spent one afternoon riding a few ATV trails in the area.

The Lucas Canyon trail was pretty difficult.

We were riding 650 class bikes. We had a couple of KLRs and a couple of KTM 690s.

The file also includes a couple of options for bypassing Albuquerque for anyone wanting to continue north into the Jemez Mountains.

Attached Files:

AteamNM and Blazer1717 like this.
  2. Blazer1717

Blazer1717 Typing Ain't Ridin Punk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the tracks. I'm working on a dualsportish route from south end of the Rainbow trail to south of Taos & over to Valecitas. Was at Taos valley ski area today. Local rider said the trail over the top to 150 crosses private land & is Very gnarley. Thinking of coming over from Amalia / Cimmaron campgrd rd. to ohv trails north of Red River. Then down gravel / dirt to Questa & on down gravel to Taos & back into FS rds... I haven't found any single track in this area at all. ....so far. I know this is your play ground...so any advice would be appreciated.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually don't ride too much around Taos. I have heard the trail over the mountain from Red River is now officially wilderness area. And I don't think it was open to motorized before that.

There are some fairly fun dirt roads west of the Rio Grande and north of Taos that will take you to the Antonito area.
  4. Blazer1717

Oddometer:
    I had planned to cross the Rio Grande south of Taos & use part of the GDR around Valicetas to head back north. Fairly familiar with that area, west of Rio G. but still need a direct 'out' to Chama ...for beer. I have excellent route north of hwy 17,,,east of FS 250, west of Anonito, ,,,,,, to Del Norte. I think it is still on Dualsport maps.com, (accident).

Thanks to your advise about the Red River xing..... I will try to tie hwy 160 crossing, south of Rainbow trl & west of Lavita,,,, to Questa by dirt rd. If that works out then on gravel to Taos & FS rds. to Rio G crossing should be easy.

Nuther subject:
    I saw where you were up in my neck o the woods on your 500's. Next time up try out the Cochetopa hills north of Del Norte. Great 2 track riding, with less rock than other more congested areas.
    I have some random ,,,rideable, tracks of the area & some hard earned knowledge of it's gas draining, ten thousand dead ends.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes we had some nice rides around Salida a couple of weeks ago.

I think about the only way into Chama by dirt is to head for Cumbres Pass. There are some nice roads west of San Antonio mountain that will get you there, FR87?. I think this is about as close as you can get because of private land and land grants. We also come in from the south sometimes via El Vado and Heron Lakes. But there is still several miles of pavement into town.

I have done several rides in the Del Norte area and love it. I rode the Boot Hill Enduro several times back in the early 80s. But I'm sure you know some great rides there. We did one once where we headed north and then rode over the tops of some steep hills and dropped down onto a single track that went past a bunch of beaver ponds and came out on one of the major roads. This was long before GPS and I have no idea exactly where we were. Plus at the time roads were poorly marked north of town. We tried to find that peak following road from the other direction out of South Fork but failed.

Good luck with your ride.

I have a friend with a cabin on 17 about 20 miles west of Antonito. We ride that area east of 250 a lot. Some really fun roads up there.
  6. Blazer1717

Oddometer:
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blazer, I tried to send you a PM but couldn't figure out how with the new software here. So I started a "conversation". Maybe that is the new way of doing PMs.
  8. Blazer1717

Oddometer:
    Wbbnm, I saw we were in a 'conversation', but had no clue if it is private or not. I 'm not on here enough to properly navigate , tho my pm's have somehow worked in the past. I'm checking to see if I will get email notification of this. Would be nice as I am more than a little forgetful.
  9. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have more trails around the Cloudcroft area?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes

Attached Files:

11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more of mine. They include some single track and ATV rides from the area.

The Rim Trail is a great single track ride. It goes a long way south. My GPS was malfunctioning the day I rode it and I only have fragments. Sometimes it is hard to find after it crosses a road. I think the Sunspot road crossing took us a long time to figure out where to look. The map really helped.

The ranger station in Cloudcroft has an excellent paper map of trails in the area.

Attached Files:

12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill, added your tracks that were new and did a lot of editing. You got a new GPS in 05 which wee much better tracks than in 04.

Can you review and update types of routes and names if you have FS map? I guess I should look at MVUM.

Red is ST & Hwy
    Dark Green is 2-track
    Dark Magenta is Graded Rd
    Nothinig for ATV yet but since there is probably a lot of it, chould pick color.
    Your new tracks are Dark Grey

Obsolete file deleted, see next post for new one.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill, I printed the MVUM from Internet and that helped a lot. Lots of gaps in Rim Trail but at least I now have track of where it should be.

Also lots of FS trails that I don't have any Tracks for. Hope some one will ride this summer and finish the map.

Attached Files:

14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or... you could look at both the Tracks and the MVUM together in Furkot.com as seen in the following screenshot GIF. :D

The routes that start with a Moto icon are MVUM data pulled from the FS Database and the ones with an Auto are your Tracks opened from the attached file above.

[​IMG]
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why don't I see Rim Trail?

Looks like it may only be roads and no trails unless there is another layer?
  16. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    It's just a matter of positioning the map to the area you want to see and the data...

[​IMG]
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the red line my track or the trail on the map? What is the grey line?
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The Gray Line is your Rim Trail Track from the above file. The Orange Line is the MVUM track for the Rim route provided by NFS. The MVUM Rim route is actually divided into several Tracks by the NFS. Both Tracks seem to have some issues. But then the NFS folks aren't exactly known for their GPS skills.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK from the first file not the second? Bill had a lot of bad Track points on the first one.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is Jerry's file where I added some colors. I found it confusing for using red for both trails and hiways, especially since they are so close together in some places. So I made what I knew and think are trails cyan.

I made the ATV trails blue. I haven't ridden the Rim trail or some of the ATV trails since 2004 and did some guessing along with a cursory look at the MVUM.

The long intercity tracks are a combination of pavement, gravel roads, and primitive roads. I guess green is as good a color as any for these. I also cannot remember very well what the quality of the dirt roads south of the town of Cloudcroft are.

The antenna had broken off my GPS the day I recorded the Rim trail maps and I just had it kind of wired on. The track labelled Rim Fragments is mainly straight lines between small segments. Some of them were only one point. But they should give people some idea of where to look for the trail.

I vaguely remember that someone has posted Rim trail tracks on GPSXchange. I might take a look later.

I could only find a pdf version of the MVUM here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/mvum/Sacramento_RD_MVUM_12182013.pdf

I wonder where Dan or Furkot got the computer readable version. It might be worth while checking the Lincoln NF website. I get my MVUMs for a master list for Region 3 here.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/USFS_Southwestern_Region_MVUM_Repository.html#Lincoln

Attached Files: