Cloudcroft Trip 2010

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by wbbnm, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like Red for Trails as they are he hardest.

I also use Red for Hwys because they are Red with or without Tracks in MapSource R&R. The only files of mine that have "Hwys" are these types of "OHV" area files showing every legal route in he area. Perhaps Black for Blacktop would be better.

I never use Cyan or Yellow because MapSource uses Yellow for "Selected" Track and Cyan for "Selected" Track Points.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes generally the city to city are Dark Green. If there are any really hard sections, I have way around in Dark Green and show hard section as Red. If the main Track is typical DS but too hard for Adv, I show a Dark Magenta bypass.

Go to the Furkot thread, Dan explains about MVUM on Furkot. Gov has some but not all on their GIS system.

Main thing is you marked up my first version. After I got pdf MVUM (paper one was requested) I revised many route colors and fixed them to be correct end to end, and added hand drawn tracks in Magenta for missing open routes, also drew in Rim Trail missing sections. Please see the second posting above.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Furkot pulls the MVUM data from the NFS National Clearinghouse Database (data.gov). As I mentioned to Jerry, it is not 'mandatory' that Forest Travel Managers promote their MVUM data to the data.gov database - unfortunately for us, their customers. I try to encourage TM's to do so when I find a Forest that is not sending their GIS MVUM data. I've also suggested to the person that runs the TM data services nationally that it should be automatic once the Forest TM's 'publish' their MVUM data. But, it's a Federal job and I don't expect anyone to actually take initiative without lots of Public Feedback.
  4. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the MVUM for the Lincoln Nat. Forest (Cloudcroft & Ruidoso) and the Guadalupe district also.
    Not 100% accurate, but as close as you're likely to get without actual tracks.

Attached Files:

5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Just to compare...The heavy Gray Lines are the MVUM Furkot data-feed overlapped with the CLOUDCROFT TRAILS.gpx file above. The lighter Gray Lines are Furkot MVUM data-feed only.

[​IMG]
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That looks like quite an accomplishment. How did you create the tracks? I do onsey-twosys by making a georeferenced version of the MVUM and either create routes where autoroutable roads exist or in some cases hand draw tracks.

I don't understand the gaps in the roads. Are these maybe places they go thru private land and are not officially in the MVUM?

Looks like I might have to go back to trying to learn Furkot. I dove into it a little when Dan first started pushing it. But at the time I just didn't have the heart to really learn a new trip planning software package. But having online access to the MVUMs looks like it is worth it.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I am so old, I risk my assets by buying green Bananas. I sure hope learning Furcot will pay off.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Mapsource won't open Roads file?
  9. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    save the file to your computer and select open with...then pick mapsource as the program....my laptop install of mapsource won't recognize gpx as a mapsource file, and I'm too lazy to find the file association thingie....
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    If you're going to give Furkot a try, I suggest taking a look at my Furkot Pro Tips YouTube videos. They are not monetized so it's not a big deal for me but you might get started a bit faster. The learning curve isn't steep. The video I just uploaded - Joining Tracks - will help as will most of the others. Some of the UI features have moved around and some new ones added over the past year but you can always ask questions in the Furkot Users thread or the Vendors thread.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have already done file association, open gpx files all the time. The Trail one opened fine.

Can someone e-mail me a gdb?

I can't read your logo, where in West Tx? Do you still need a green Card to get into NM (a state with real mountains)?
  12. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    If you're from Texas, you can cross without paperwork...
    New Mexico knows that Texas is keeping them alive...
    At least the southeast corner where the oil fields are.

It's easy to sneak in to NM from Odessa.....only about 150 miles to Queen NM
    From there, you can pick 6 or 8 different ways to Cloudroft/Weed/Mayhill/Ruidoso
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    GDB sent along with other goodies.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I have spent a couple of days trying to learn Furkot and looking at Dan's videos and reading thru some of his Furkot thread. I got to where I can do some things.

And I can do the thing I wanted to do most which was to compare my tracks to MVUM stuff.

I kind of tried actually creating a route along MVUM roads. Right now I am confused about whether Furkot allows intermediate points in a route that will force it to certain roads or if one can only specify a start and a stop for each route. Will play with this some more.
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    wbbnm, if you watched my Videos (there's a new "Watch Me First") and are still unable to create a route and edit it in Furkot, then I have failed in my attempt to help and I apologize.

Any route path can be edited by clicking on the route and dragging it to the road(s) you want to route through. When you do so, you create a new point in the route path. You can do this as much as you like and there is always the UNDO/REDO buttons.

If you added a MVUM Track to your Plan, it is placed in your Plan in the 'locked' or 'Travel off-road' condition. In which case, the route path edits point-to-point just like you would a Track. If you 'unlock' the Track path, by setting it to 'Follow roads', the original path will most likely be lost as Furkot will attempt to find an on-road path to route through - just like Garmin's software would.

By the way, you must have your PLAN drawer 'Advanced use' setting selected as I indicated in my new WATCH ME FIRST video.

Please, ask your "how-to" questions if you run into an edit process that isn't working for you.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan Your videos are great. The only slight problem is that the user interface isn't exactly as shown anymore. But I have been able to figure things out.

My problem was I watched too many videos at once and thus didn't retain enough. I have been through new software learning processes enough to know it is usually a long, slow, painful process especially at my age. I will keep at it and go back thru the videos again with a more purposeful approach. For me this is the best way to learn stuff.

Then I will start in with "how to" questions.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Roger that! I'm slowly updating the videos to account for changes in the UI and feature enhancements.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I combined he roads & trails, got a paper copy of MVUM and separated the ATV from ST and made them Blue, and added a few Tacks for County and State roads. Giant 3.8 meg didn't think this site would take it, what is max now?

Attached Files:

19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry,

Very nice. Thanks. I don't know when I will ever use it. We rarely went down that way when I lived in Albuquerque. So going there from MN is pretty unlikely. But looking at the tracks sure makes it look attractive.
    Those ATV trails in Benson canyon are a lot of fun. I remember they were always in the MIle High Enduro but were single track back then and had some difficult spots. I remember the first hill heading south in Lucas Canyon having some horrible mud one year. Bikes were down all over the place.

Interesting about ADV allowing large files. I might go back and load up the full detailed tracks.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, after seeing what all is there, I am anxious to go back. Told you club said I could ride free if I came with my 79 trophy belt buckle. However I think my Enduro days are long gone.