Clunking my CX Cross Country

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jlevers, Aug 11, 2017.

1. brownricer

brownricer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lucky you- I've been flying for 20 years, and still haven't even got a ride in a Super Cub, let alone on floats!!
    If you decide to get your pilot's certificate, I recommend you start with gliders- less time and money usually (unless you're a total spazz), and having every flight an engine-out situation forces you to develop a strong foundation of basic skills. It's also a lot of fun! Should you move on to powered aircraft, the glider rating, hours, etc. can be applied towards that.
    I always say "sure, you CAN learn good stick'n'rudder skills in a powered airplane, but in a glider. you HAVE to!" When I got my PP-Glider after years of flying power, I regretted not starting with them.
    Whichever path you choose, I also advise you to join a flying club as a student- in most cases, that is also a cheaper way to go, and once you have your "ticket" you will be able to fly the club's aircraft at rates that are usually cheaper. Some clubs also offer free instruction.
    Anyway, good to see and your CX still clunking along... happy trails!!
    jlevers and B10Dave like this.
  2. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I could do my part to keep you on the road. I thought about your ride the day you left Seattle, it was the crappiest weather we've had in a month. Glad you made it safe!
    jlevers likes this.
  3. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Just realized that I started this ride a year ago yesterday...wow, time flies. It's been a crazy year. I start at Northeastern in Boston in two weeks...but I'm already doing some preliminary thinking about what the next big ride will be. Cheers everyone!
    B10Dave, Treedguy, rtwpaul and 4 others like this.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Hi Jesse...
    I just found this RR last nite from your interview with RTWPaul.
    I'm up to page 7 but just had to jump ahead and leave a message.
    I think the trip is probably over for you but its just starting for me and really looking forward to reading it all.

I'm an old guy who got back on a bike 3 years ago after 30 years off and so happy with my decision. Reports like this really take me back to when--I owned a Silverwing (last bike I owned) and all the cool old bikes I rode as I worked at the Honda-Yamaha dealer in the 80's.
    Ascot, Transalp, NS400R, Nitehawk750, Sabre 65, Intercepter 750 etc. Should have really appreciated it more back then.

I've already learned stuff from your early posts about the trip planning sites, etc. And reading about the extension you built to use on ADVRider was great.
    The main thing I've learned very early in your story is that the quest to travel and explore is alive and well.
    And equally as revealing is that the folks on this site are the most --giving-- helpful group I've ever encountered on any forum.
    Thanks and now I've gotta get back to my reading.
    flei, jlevers and AdamChandler like this.
  5. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Bob, I'm glad you're enjoying it, and it's awesome to hear that you got back on a bike after such a long break! I'm jealous of a couple of your bikes...An Interceptor 750 is one of my dream bikes, and Transalps are one of my favorites, too.
  6. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update -- as @borderlinebob mentioned above, the article from an interview that I did with @rtwpaul about this trip just got posted on the front page. You can check it out here!

I'm currently at Northeastern University, majoring in Computer Science (class of 2022). But between now and then, there'll definitely be some more epic rides...
    911timo and B10Dave like this.
  7. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jesse,

Just finished all 19 pages (it's Friday, work is slow...)

Good on you for taking on that epic adventure! Looking forward to more ride reports!
    jlevers likes this.
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along! Great report!
    jlevers likes this.
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Jesse - I can't add anything and like borderlinebob I found your thread from the RTWPaul interview. I spent the last 2 days glued to your RR often back reading to absorb all the details. At 60 years of age I can say I've been almost everywhere I want to go on a motorcycle. Your trip has inspired me to stay in the wind until it ends. I've always said its the folks you meet, the detours from plans, the breakdowns and those scant few moments when everything is just perfect with you, the bike and the world that keep calling me back to the road of adventure. Good on you and may there be many miles in your future! But most of all thanks for doing it and posting it.

There's this song by Chuck Ragan called Bedroll Lullaby. It's about motorcycle travel and living on the cheap. I can't think of anyone who better fits the lyrics than you.

It starts out something like this...

Did you ever wandered far from home
    Far from what is safe and comfortable

jlevers likes this.
  10. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a breath of fresh air. Thanks Jesse
    Lopburi and jlevers like this.
  11. Luna Tique

Luna Tique dreamer of adventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Thanks Jesse !
    Your journey was a great read filled with beautiful pictures.
    jlevers likes this.
  12. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it :)
  13. madmaximum

madmaximum She said we're all idiots

Oddometer:
    That was a great RR and Alaska trip. Thanks for sharing!
    jlevers likes this.
  14. John David

John David n00b

Oddometer:
    Very Cool ride, I've done some long ones over the years; but the amount of help you got along the way made this one pretty special.
    John
    jlevers likes this.
  15. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is about where you stopped at my house for lunch on the deck near Waynesboro,Virginia, I remember four hamburgers,fries,onion rings and some apple cake .You must have been hungry,I enjoyed the visit.
    jlevers likes this.
  16. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was pretty hungry :lol3 thanks for the hospitality, it was great to meet you!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Luna Tique and ChopperCharles like this.