Clunking my CX Cross Country

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jlevers, Aug 11, 2017.

1. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check the weather forecast.. looks rough!
  2. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    The radiator fan is a press fit onto the end of the camshaft. I've replaced it 3 times, so not sure what the deal is.

I checked when I put the most recent new fan on that it wasn't hitting anything. I'll try the clutch trick tomorrow, but it's a really loud clatter, so I'd be surprised if it was that. I did the valves right before I left too...I'll definitely try the trick of rotating the engine by hand and seeing if there are any weird noises. I'll try disconnecting the gauges too, but the sound is very clearly coming from the front of the engine, so I'm guessing it's not the clocks. Thanks for all the suggestions!

There's two very different noises happening. One is a clattering and one is a ticking. I'm just hoping the bike holds together until I make it to Murray in NC...
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cam chain tensioner? A common issue with CX500s, but I think you said you replaced it already.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  4. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking that too, but I did replace like 700 miles ago. Maybe I need to adjust it again?
  5. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Day 3

We woke up this morning next to a really pretty reservoir, broke our fast on a feast -- bagels with extra chunky (yeah you heard that right) peanut butter:

[​IMG][​IMG]

It stayed a little chilly and foggy for an hour or so, but it was a nice change from the heat of yesterday, and we were having a great time cruising along Route 30 at 70mph or so. The fog was actually a nice backdrop:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We passed a couple sheriff cars passing the other way, but they didn’t seem to take much notice. However, there was one running radar about a mile later, who we didn’t get nailed by thanks to some legend in an F-150 who flashed his lights. People who do that, my wallet thanks you.

The fog eventually burned off:

[​IMG]

As we were stopped to take pictures, a black bear cub ran across the road! There’s a good number of bears where I live, but it’s always a treat to see one…we got back on our bikes and drove slowly past where it crossed the road. Jonah caught another glimpse. Awesome!

We started heading along the Delaware River on Route 97. It was pretty fast and we got bored, so we started taking some random side roads (side note -- New York seems to be absolutely infested with deer...I can’t count the number of times we almost got successfully ambushed by deer) Anyways, in our side road wanderings (aka when we got lost) we came across this tiny bridge across the Delaware, and stopped to check it out. We’d been jonesing to climb something, so this was a good find:

[​IMG][​IMG]

We also took a swim and cleaned off, which was niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

There are remarkably few towns of noteworthy size in this part of NY, which is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because there’s little traffic, but a curse because there’s very little food or phone service, which results in us getting lost a LOT. I think we went around the perimeter of one little town like three times :bash the bright (heh) side of getting lost is that we found a great spot to watch the solar eclipse! It took some gravel riding to get there, which I’d never done before, and discovered that I really like it. Anyways, the solar eclipse was incredible! We didn’t see the full eclipse, but probably 75% of it, and it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. No pictures, because I’ve heard you can fry your camera doing that.

After watching the eclipse, we were way too hot, and I was feeling kind of out of it, so we decided to chill out for the rest of the day. We rode a bit further down NY-97, found some WiFi at the River Market in Barryville, and chilled outside for a couple hours while I wrote up days one and two of the report. There was a nice camping spot a mile down the road:

[​IMG]

We finished up Jonah’s last full day on the ride with some Mike’s:

[​IMG][​IMG]

------------------------------
    Start: Margaretville, NY
    End: Lumberland, NY
    Mileage: 189 miles
  6. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Day 4

We headed to a local diner for some breakfast:

[​IMG][​IMG]

We finished up the ride down NY-97, and Jonah headed for home in Port Jervis:

[​IMG]

It’s pretty weird that from here on out, I literally won’t know anyone. Guess I’ll just have to meet lots of people...Can’t say I’ve ever been in a situation like this before.

When he left, I got on some very bumpy, beautiful backroads (you have now received the USDA approved daily dose of alliteration) down the edge of the Delaware River. The day got real interesting from here.

[​IMG]

First, the bike suddenly stuttered to a halt when I went to pass someone. It for some reason wouldn’t rev above idle. I shut it off and called Murray from the CX500 forum, and with his help I eventually figured out that my fuel filter was clogged. Whew, glad it wasn’t anything worse! He also mentioned that I should make sure my oil levels were normal, and I checked, and my oil was low...weird, that’s never happened before. I backtracked and picked up some oil. After topping it off, I went off back down the riverside…

Remember how yesterday I said I was really liking riding offroad? Yeah, time to eat my words.

I wanted to get closer to the river, so I took a little gravel side road. There were some muddy parts, but I got down to the river ok. But on my way back, this…

[​IMG]

Led to this...

[​IMG]

Crap, it’s a little early for a nap, don’t you think?

It was kinda hard to pick up in super slippery mud, but after some grunting, I got it back upright, and it seems that no harm was done to the bike. Other than jamming my elbow, I was fine too.

Despite those issues, the road was awesome :ricky

[​IMG]

THEN, I discovered that I’d somehow gotten turned around and was headed back where I came from, and was also running out of gas. I ended up basically back where I started, since there weren’t any gas stations nearby :pissed it was also really, really hot out. At this point, I was getting pretty frustrated about my lack of progress. It felt like I’d ridden the same part of the New Jersey border like 10 times...at least it was wicked pretty!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There were lots of signs like this around, telling the stories of various roads, houses, etc:

[​IMG]

I also saw some really cool old Corvettes! Sorry for the blurriness, I took the pics in a hurry.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This afternoon, @brownricer hooked me up with Joe in Foglesville from the CX500 forum, who it turns out I’d interacted with on that forum. Small world! I hauled ass down to Foglesville so that I could have a place to stay tonight. He’s a bomb cook, and a super nice guy!

[​IMG]

Turns out it was a good thing that I’m staying inside tonight, because as I’m writing this, I’m hearing one of the loudest thunderstorms I’ve ever experienced.

-------------------
    Start: Lumberland, NY
    End: Fogelsville, PA
    Mileage: ~171 miles
  7. ponytl

ponytl even my new bike is old

Oddometer:
    great job all around... trip, ride, and reporting... I don't know if you have spare fuel with you or not... but if not it might be worth spending $5 at Lowes for a quart of the canned fuel they sell in the lawnmower dept. it;s only a wasted $5 if you never use it...
    Cheers
    P
    jlevers likes this.
  8. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I can use my MSR stove fuel bottle as backup fuel...

This is totally random, but last night we saw a ton of earthworms moving at speeds I would not have thought possible for a worm. What the hell is up with that??
  9. oldtouring B

Oddometer:
    They either running for their lives from the thunderstorm or their drug dealer had a special on SPEED!!
    KneeDrachen, jlevers and eaglescan like this.
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    In a previous life I had a Silverwing Interstate.
    It was just two years old when I got (around 1984) and it was always a very solid and reliable ride, even two up on occasion.

Ride safe, can't wait to hear more about your journey.

:lurk
    jlevers likes this.
  11. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not you and I were in the same area at the same time yesterday (Delaware River/Port Jervis), you riding South, me headed North back home after my vacation in North Georgia. Our paths crossed again (and hopefully not for the last time). Enjoying your ride report and looking forward to more. That Murray is a saint; :beer to him!
    jlevers likes this.
  12. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Hardly ever a dull moment, that's true adventure, I admire your determination, stay safe out there and hopefully you can get those weird noises taken care of soon... :thumb
    Great pictures.
    jlevers likes this.
  13. brownricer

brownricer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember when I said "ride smart"? You went right through that puddle, didn't you... :lol3
    These bikes do great on unpaved roads, but without knobbies, it's best to stay out of standing water, even on the street. And whenever you are in crap like that, stand on the pegs and steer with your feet, not your hands. You are doing well, though, and you have a lot of adventure ahead. If my GL500 was running properly right now, I'd be tempted to join you!!
    Brucester and jlevers like this.
  14. brownricer

brownricer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remembered your low oil comment: double-check your crankcase breather hose. Pull it off and inspect it. they can seem fine but have cracks and splits that gradually allow oil to escape. Same thing with the inspection covers- those O-rings seem to shrivel up pretty quickly. allowing the same sort of "misting" leak.
    Or maybe the engine's burning oil- in which case you'd best ignore that and just make sure there's enough in there, LOL
    jlevers likes this.
  15. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Well, I know for a fact that my breather hose is cracked at the airbox...maybe that's the issue.
  16. 83BlackWing

83BlackWing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to suggest you make sure your path was going by Murray's, but I see you have that covered. I look forward to following your reports. Joe is indeed the best, and yes, a helluva cook.
  17. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Virginia, for the contribution I just made to your taxes this year. I should have listened to everyone who told me to avoid skyline drive because of the cops... Got a 51in a 35. I knew as soon as the guy started talking that I wasn't getting out of it... That fucking sucked.
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear it, but don't let it harsh your day too much. It happens to everybody.
    jlevers likes this.
  19. oldtouring B

Oddometer:
    Is skyline drive a part of a national park?
    jlevers likes this.
  20. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    Very cool thread, will be following along! Have a great trip!

Ruud
    jlevers likes this.