1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Clutch Chatter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R6Chick, Jul 15, 2007.

1. R6Chick

R6Chick H8 KARZ

Oddometer:
    My 2007 TTR125LE is making a new, weird noise. It chatters. I have tracked the noise to my clutch. If the bike is upright it makes no sound. If you put it on the side stand the chattering starts. It is shifting fine and running fine.

Other information that may or may not be relevant:
    - I have not been able to ride it for 6 weeks.
    - Just before the last ride I changed the oil and cleaned the filter.
    - I have the 110 main jet in but have not done the pilot jet yet.
    - BBR exhaust with silencer installed

Before I tear into it I wanted to solicit the opinions of others. What do you think is causing it? Should I be mildly concerned or very worried?

Thanks in Advance,
    Julz
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    If you put it on the side stand, I suspect the engine oil is moving away from the clutch plates, and they are moving in free air. You may wish to double-check the amount of oil in the engine.
  3. R6Chick

R6Chick H8 KARZ

Oddometer:
    I suspected that as well since there was a recent oil change. The oil level indicator shows it is at the top of the acceptable range.

Thx - Julz
  4. PrtclMn001

PrtclMn001 Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    when you put it on the side stand and it starts to chatter, pull the clutch lever in. Does the chatter stop?
  5. R6Chick

R6Chick H8 KARZ

Oddometer:
    No. When on the side stand, in neutral, clutch in or out, it chatters. If I put it in gear on the side stand with the clutch in it still chatters.

Maybe I could paint it red and put "Ducati" in white letters on the tank? It is not quite the dry clutch rattle of the Duc but I am sure somebody would believe me. :rofl

Thx,
    Julz
  6. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    Tighten your chain.
  7. R6Chick

R6Chick H8 KARZ

Oddometer:
    Chain is properly adjusted. Chatter happens when chain is not in motion.

Thx -J
  8. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Does the chatter go away with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in?

You can see if you can isolate the noise by using a mechanics stethoscope, a long screwdriver, or a long metal bar (24" 3/8" extensions work good) you might be able to figure out where on the inside the problem is, it sounds like it could be a noisy countershaft bearing.

Edited to add:
    If I put it in gear on the side stand with the clutch in it still chatters.

sorry I missed that the first time. I'll still suggest using a stethoscope to try and track it down. Sounds like a 2 person job, one person to move the bike from upright to leaned over, and the other one to keep looking. Also, look out for other rattles that might masquerade as a clutch type rattle (fenders, trim pieces, side stand spring, etc).

Also, see if you might be able to "feel" for the rattle using your fingers-wear a glove if the bike is hot.

Good luck, these little things can be annoying to track down.
  9. R6Chick

R6Chick H8 KARZ

Oddometer:
    The chatter does not go away with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. The sound is coming from the clutch basket area on the left side of the bike and only happens when the bike is leaned over on the kick stand. It sounds like clutch plates rattling into each other.

I have not had a chance to take the clutch cover off yet. That pesky job and pay the mortgage thing keeps getting in my way. Thanks for your response. I had not thought about it being the counter shaft bearing.

Thx -J
  10. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Sorry, I was in the middle of my edit above and got called away and only now just pushed the submit button.

The countershaft does not turn when the transmission is in gear and clutch is in, therefore it should not be the problem. My suggestion is to enlist the help of someone else as I mentioned above and see if you can pinpoint the source of the noise.
  11. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Check the idle speed , if it is too low it may be transmission gear noise . SEYA