Clutch lever return spring backwards?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by LikeTheAspirin, Mar 26, 2021.

1. LikeTheAspirin

LikeTheAspirin ... please, after you.

Oddometer:
    TLDR: Which way should the clutch release lever spring function. Mine is wound so that the release lever arm is always resting on the clutch springs (no release lever slack). As in, I can spin it clockwise and it will spring back counterclockwise. This means I can never have "free play" at the lever arm. video below. This seems backwards?

I have just under 2k miles on my 2020 790 R. Have installed the Camel 1 finger clutch but have not removed the clutch cover. I don't have the papers in front of me but I don't believe the dealer checked the oil jet during the first service, so not sure if the clutch cover has ever been removed. When re-watching the Camel install video and he spins the shaft counter clockwise and it springs back clockwise. Basically meaning that after the clutch pack springs have extended, the release lever can then spin farther to give slack at the release lever and not just at the handlebar. If the dealer took off the clutch cover, could they have installed the spring backwards?
  2. LikeTheAspirin

Oddometer:
    Update:

Took it apart. Here is the inside face of the clutch cover right after disassembly. Spring is on the wrong side. The hook should align with the notch. IMG_20210326_133837.jpg

Popped off the retainer clip and spun the clutch release shaft 180 deg. and re-inserted the spring through the slot in the bottom. The notch or "paw" in the clutch release shaft that pulls on the tension bolt to disengage the clutch is still in the correct position but the spring is now 180 deg. out from where it was. so it now rests in the casting notch. And now there is constant tension pulling the clutch release shaft away from the tension bolt. IMG_20210326_134708.jpg

Not sure if it was from factory or the dealer first service. One bolt on the cover had some signs of being wrenched on, but again, could have been the Friday shift after a boozie lunch at KTM or the dealer that caused the incorrect install and minor damage on one of the torx heads.
    konam, windblown101 and ibgary like this.
  3. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice catch. Thanks
  4. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job ! how wants to know has to see...
  5. LikeTheAspirin

Oddometer:
    Another update and some Q's,
    After correcting the spring and setting a few mm of free play at the lever (and the clutch release arm at the engine could move freely a couple degrees) I rode 350 miles home with the last 5 being heavy NYC traffic with near constant clutch slipping in 4 mph traffic. The clutch cable slack / free play increased substantially. Enough so that I was worried I would not be able to fully disengage the clutch, especially using 2 fingers and other 2 in the wall of pulling it fully to the grip (camel lever in 3rd hole so more pull needed to fully disengage than normal, have since switched to 2nd hole :) ),. So I tightened free play at a stop light. The next day when the bike was cold, the free play was zero.

I pulled the cover off again and actually measured the clutch pack (just for fun, knowing 5 miles of slipping won't kill it) and it was still in the range of "new" per the manual. The clutch springs however were a fraction under the length limit. I didn't have time to get new springs yet but went on a short trip with no issues (600 miles total but only ~150 being back country dirt)

- Is that the normal direction for free play to go when things get hot that other have experienced? I have heard that is good to check free play every so often so that it doesn't get too tight. But if it getting hot increases slack, that doesn't seem like abusing the clutch would be a compounding issue (slipping clutch casing less to no free play causing more clutch slipping)
    - I plan to order new springs. Have people found heavier springs? Like the results?
    - Slightly off topic. When I sit in neutral with the clutch engaged (lever out), it sounds like a low pitched Ducati's clutch's clatter, more like a knocking / thudding that a clicking but similar cadence. I have yet to be around another 790 to compare. Is that normal? The sound didn't change after I took apart and re-installed the pack.
  6. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That third hole will get you into more trouble than it's worth... That goes for the camel clutch arm as well.
    LikeTheAspirin and chevmekanik like this.
  7. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent recon, and definitely disconcerting re how a reversed spring could pass inspection (you'd think the clutch function would be tested repeatedly during production). Once of the first mods I did was the Magura HyMec clutch; no slip, no constant adjustment (due to temperature), 1 finger feel: http://www.magurausa-shop.com/product.htm?pid=296864&cat=22370
  8. El Hefe

El Hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the Camel clutch arm a bad thing? I run mine in the middle hole with no bad results or any damage
  9. LikeTheAspirin

Oddometer:
    I don't think Dan is saying the lever is inherently bad. He just couldn't pass up a chance to make a joke...
    roookie1 and Dan D. like this.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^true...

But I did burn up a Rekluse in the past because the auto clutch doesn't like that third hole. You don't get enough pull from the extended length, which results in high rpm slip.

Shouldn't be an issue with a manual clutch though.
    El Hefe likes this.