Clutch microswitch R1100RT - How to access it?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FinallyGotOne, Sep 11, 2019.

1. FinallyGotOne

FinallyGotOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Intermittent start, I understand it is likely the microswitch switch contacts, but exactly how do I get at it?

I'm an EE, so pretty sure I can fix once I find it, but I've removed the clutch lever pivot bolt and the plastic piece at the front of the grip, etc, but can't actually see the switch...

(Incidentally, I can hear the brake microswitch click, but no similar sound pulling in the clutch lever...)
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    The switch is screwed into the grip/clutch assembly - you have to unscrew it to get at it.

(It’s the thing with the wire going to it, though I guess that’s obvious.)

To get it out you either need a slotted socket or you can use needle nose pliers and try to turn the switch to get it out with those.

If that doesn’t make sense let me know and I’ll dig up pics.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    You also have safety switches at the sidestand and on the back of the transmission (neutral safety switch). Are those working?
  4. FinallyGotOne

FinallyGotOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've taken a lot apart on the grip, probably more than I need to. I see the microswitch wire going in, and the pin that activates it, pressed by the lever itself.

But how do I actually get the switch out? If I follow the wire, do I actually unscrew the switch itself?
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - the switch is all one cylindrical unit, and it comes out as one piece attached to the wire (the wire then runs to a connector up near the forks/front fairing subframe where it plugs in to the main wiring harness).

Edit: you shouldn’t need to take anything apart to take out the switch, but it is a hassle to unscrew unless you have a slotted thin socket (11mm I believe) or are willing to cut the wires.
  6. FinallyGotOne

FinallyGotOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sidestand switch will stall the bike when I put it down, Neutral switch - *Good Question* - Should it start in neutral with the clutch out?
    Wondering if my issue is an intermittent starter button switch? ...
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike should start in neutral regardless of clutch position. Does the neutral light on your dash work properly (does it illuminate when the transmission is in neutral)?

Edit to add: if not, or if only sometimes, this is very common and lots of info can be found by googling “lazy neutral” in conjunction with your bike model or just the term bmw oilhead

I understand you want to fix the switch, but if you can’t get it out and need to start the bike, you can cut the wires to the switch and just wind the pair together (on the bike side) to bypass the switch.

If the side stand switch ever fails the same idea works, or you can add a jumper to the connector on the bike side.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is what you’ll be looking at when you get it out.

upload_2019-9-11_9-26-2.jpeg
    FinallyGotOne likes this.
  9. FinallyGotOne

FinallyGotOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That helps a lot!

The bike will start, eventually. Worse when parked outside on a cold night. I will also see if I can find the connector end of the microswitch and measure ohms, verify it works (or not) that way...
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you google r1100rt clutch switch replacement you will find some how tos on getting to the connector. But my recollection is some people say it’s hidden in the front and all sorts of things have to come off, and others say it’s easy to get to with all the Tupperware in place. I can’t recall how much I had to take off an 1100rt to get to it, but I don’t recall it being too bad.