clutch noises

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ktm frank, May 1, 2006.

1. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    You almost have it, but not quite. With the engine off, place the bike in 6th gear, then pull in the clutch, and now push the bike forward a little bit. You'll initially feel alot of resistence, but then the plates will "break free' and the bike will roll much more easily.
    Now all you need to do is put it back in neutral, start the engine, and now when you pull in the clutch and drop the bike into gear you won't have the "bang" of the gears meshing.

ktm950se
  2. Rev Fred

Rev Fred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM950SE you are a genius! It worked a treat this morning. Problem solved!

I don't think I got it all the way up to 6th, and I was in perhaps 4th when I pushed the bike forward, and I did feel some resistance before it then rolled freely. Started up and set off without any problems.
  3. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    That's great news! :clap
    As you found out, you don't necessarily need to put the bike in top gear to break the plates free, its just that its a bit easier to do it that way than using a lower gear.

ktm950se
  4. Hosszu Toll

Hosszu Toll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok,I see this is working,but you must do this on every morning,or you do once and the problem is solved?

[​IMG][​IMG]
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    So my 04 950 was driving me bonkers with clutch chatter and ws thinking "Reluse"time. Then I ran across this thread. Ah! Not alone in the woods!
    So I read the drill and try it in the AM while the coffee is trying to do it's thing. Well the coffee was taking its time and I firred my motor off. I thought what the hell go for 6 th gear anyway with the motor running. Guess what! It works that way to, so far.

Start the motor, shift to top gear, bib the gas, slip the clutch a bit, go back to first and Bob's your Uncle.

Cheers!:clap:clap
  6. Lisa-Isabella

Lisa-Isabella Adventurer

Oddometer:

This is just normal KTM 950.

Only happens in cold temps.

They all do it (KTM's with dry sumps) I think :norton

Because the engine is a dry sump you need to get oil to the plates from the centre of the clutch. The first time you use the clutch, in colder temps, gets the oil onto the plates then it all works fine .......... you sold the bike because of this ????? 2007 :huh

That's a good idea Digger, but Mort is right........... Not worth worrying about