C'mon Klim...really?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Czechplease, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Czechplease

Czechplease uncategorizeable

Oddometer:
    So, I drop over two grand on Klim gear for me and the wife. It's good stuff so, no problem with the cost. However, two reflective panels on my jacket apparently weren't "stuck" completely and started lifting right away after only wearing it on three, less than hour long rides.
    Went through the process of starting a warranty return and Klim had me send photos. They said to ship the jacket in for evaluation....on my dime. That part didn't sit well with me so I called back and asked them to pay for the shipping. After some "back and forth " that shouldn't have been necessary, they sent me a return shipping label.
    Before I was able to ship the jacket, they changed up and I got an email instructing me to..."cut the back of the jacket from bottom to collar" and send a picture to prove it had been done and then they would send a replacement.
    They won, I just couldn't do it. I ended up just tearing off the two reflective panels....I just couldn't take a knife to an otherwise functional jacket.
    Maybe it SHOULD have gone like this from the start..."We appreciate you buying Klim gear and we're sorry one of the items isn't up to our high quality standards. Attached is a prepaid return shipping label and as soon as we receive the item we'll quckly get a replacement out to you".
  2. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they didn’t want to deal with possible contamination, so this is the easiest, safest method at the current time?
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son had a Santa Cruz mountain bike that was $10 grand...his pride and joy. Something very minor happened to the swingarm which was covered under warranty and they asked him to do the same thing...cut it in half and send them a pic. He looked at me and said, "hey dad, where's the Sawzall?"

I totally get what you're saying but it's SOP in the retail world now. My son is now a purchasing agent at an online outdoor gear website and they have people cut stuff up all the time.
  4. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy was asked to drill a bunch holes to get a warranty replacement on a hard tonneau cover for his truck.

Klim has limited ability to make repairs on their garments, so the "destroy and replace" is not crazy. Just sounds like it took longer than necessary for someone there to make that call.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scorpion had me do that with a pair of gloves I was getting warranty on a few years ago.

"Cut up the gloves in this particular way, and take pictures, we will have a replacement pair out immediately"
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s actually quite common, and is usually a more cost-effective way overall to handle a warranty issue. And not just for apparel.
  7. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too many dishonnest people trying to game those who honor a great warranty, I guess.
    EmmEff, Watercat, el Pete and 5 others like this.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that was the case they should have said so.
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    We sell solenoids for starters. Had a customer with one defect. Told him to break the cap and send a picture. Then recycle it. We gave credit.

A few months later that customer ordered the wrong part and we let them return. Along with that return was the broken solenoid marked shipping damage. It matched the picture exactly. Needless to say they will not be getting credit. You can not be nice.

Rod
    EmmEff, Tall Man, Watercat and 5 others like this.
  10. maineDave

maineDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recall that fairly recently LLBean discontinued its long-term and widely-respected no-questions return/replacement policy.
    I'm sure the above examples over 100 years became a burden, and outsourcing much production off-shore makes repairs onerous; and since people are scum, there was a supposed uptick in folks buying 30yo clothing and gear items at yard sales and Goodwill with the express intent to take them back to the store(s) and wangle cash or a new item.

maineDave
    DesertDonor, Watercat, jefmad and 2 others like this.
  11. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trashing a top-dollar jacket just for some un-stuck reflective? I'm with the OP: I couldn't take scissors to that jacket. I'm surprised Klim didn't want the jacket back so they could repair it and re-sell it as a returned/repaired item like Aerostich does all the time. I guess that's because Aerostich does their own repairs. Still though, donate the returned item to charity or something. This is why I'm not a businessman, I know. :^)
  12. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's dumb but it's the only way retailers can prevent warranty fraud/theft. They likely either can't repair it easily or it's not worth the expense to do so. Remember what is to us a $5-600 jacket is to them maybe $200. Can't blame them or be upset about it.
  13. WAGmore01

WAGmore01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should have just done as they requested. They were offering to send you a new jacket at no cost as long as you destroyed your “old” one. I just had a 2016 badlands jacket replaced in the same way for zipper issues, and they had already replaced my 2016 badlands pants a couple years ago. Couldn’t be more satisfied with their warranty.
    I know it was painful to cut the jacket up, but not as much pain as looking at the expensive jacket that isn’t up to par each time I put it on... you will get over it once you get your new jacket!

I also rep some products that are custom made for each client and cost thousands of dollars (not Moto related). If they show up with minor damage, we throw it away and have the manufacturer send a replacement on the Freight companies dime.
    IMG_5261.jpg
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like everyone is missing the point that they initially wanted to OP to pay for the return, then said they would send a return paid decal, then changed again to destroy it. Just crappy all around.
  15. Czechplease

Czechplease uncategorizeable

Oddometer:
    Yup...I've purchased items for a LOT less $ and, when there was an issue, the manufacturer or online retailer immediately emailed a shipping label without needing to be goaded into it.
    I get the whole "destroy, prove it, we'll replace it" thing, it's just that here in the PNW we 'occasionally' get rain. Not a day goes by when in my travels I don't see some poor "housing challenged" individual getting soaked to the core for want of a quality jacket. I've donated gear before, and would've gladly done so this time....hell, I'da sent Klim a photo of me and the happy, drier recipient and we'd ALL have gotten a good feeling.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, seems bad to waste a product that cost resources & time to make. Donation receipt, or a return to sell on their used ebay page would've made more sense imo. Klim sells discounted marketing samples online all the time.
    Manny U, PTJCAL and BobcatSig like this.
  17. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen that some of these "bed in a box" memory foam mattress companies handle their satisfaction guarantees in this manner. If you decide not to keep the mattress you got delivered from Amazon or wherever then they just contact an organization local to you to pick it up as a donation.
  18. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Krios Pro had a weird defect. They had me cut off the chin strap and send a photo. I agree...it was kinda heartbreaking to kill the helmet that way but hey, now I have a bunch of spare parts for it!

Bonus: I took my saw and cut the shell in half so I could see the Koroyd guts :)
    Manny U, el Pete, thirsty 1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL yah I get it and agree, they should have covered warranty shipping right off the bat. It's one of the nuances of working with Klim actual vs a vendor.

I disagree with the crappy all around statement, Klim did try to help him with no kickback so props to Klim. He should have just cut the jacket and got a new one. I agree it's not ideal but they were trying to resolve it at their loss, that's their policy and right to have said policy for self preservation. Instead he chose to rip parts off his expensive jacket and live with it, IMHO he's an idiot for that but to each their own. Klim's final offer even benefited him lol, rather than ship 3-5 days, process a week, ship 3-5 days, dude could have a new jacket same week and be done. HE chose to over complicate the process, Klim did what they were supposed to do.

I get the bleeding heart thing, sadly the world is full of scammers so companies have to make policies like this. Most homeless in my experience don't want help, food, or clothes they want drug money. I used to offer things all the time, many would throw it back, cuss me "I want money not your damn food, shirt, etc". Ohh ok lol you get nothing and I'd drive off. At some point you just have to accept it's not your problem and no matter how much you help most don't want to change. If I had a dollar for every able bodied man in good clothes I saw panhandling that could instead be working a real job with health insurance I'd have a new CBR1000RR by now.

Just yesterday sitting at a stoplight, a very well fed clearly not starving "fat" middle age man. Brand new jeans and nike shoes standing at a light with a cardboard sign saying need money. Instant ping on the bullshit meter then dude whips out a giant IPhone lol ohh ok we're not unable to provide for ourselves we're just lazy and scamming good people. For however many hours he was standing there pretending to be homeless he could be earning at least min wage and some benefits at a real job but what the hell do I know though.
    raw2210, 2talltom, thirsty 1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should have just shipped it to them when you got the label in?

And if this was recent, quite possibly several different folks working remotely and all trying to solve the issue for you?

Whatever ... just another Klim bashing thread where the OP ultimately got exactly what he wanted and still wasn't satisfied.

:csm
    raw2210, EmmEff, Watercat and 3 others like this.