C'mon Klim...really?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Czechplease, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I read your thread about it, if not you someone else did the same. Really smart on your part the damn transition visor alone is like $120 a pop, padding bits are like $70 a set. The koroyd looks cool, I have a Krios Pro too, hopefully never need it's safety features.
  2. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Exactly, so many people shit on Klim but every single time I talk to a Klim rep I walk away with a warm fuzzy and very satisfied. There's a youtube video of Klim gear and people are bitching it doesn't come in KTM colors. Bro they literally have 3 or more color choices for most garments, some have like 8 pick one and be happy.
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember tire makers that would have you carve out the DOT numbers and send them in. People were trying to sell the used tires with the DOT cut out of the sidewall. Then that pratice stopped
    Watercat and spokester like this.
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Klim makes some good stuff... if it fits.

I had a similar warranty issue wherein the garment was clearly constructed incorrectly. Their solution? Send me a free neck gaiter. I politely declined, sold the offending garment and matching pants. Never again, Klim. Never again.

It seems awfully wasteful for Klim to require you to cut up a perfectly good jacket. If they chose to do customer service correctly, they would immediately send out a pre-paid shipping label to send in the offending jacket. Unlike tires, you can't really recycle a defective or returned jacket. Instead, cut it up and send it to the landfill? That seems silly.

If you like Klim; great! If you don't like Klim; great! Vote with your wallet.
  5. Czechplease

Czechplease uncategorizeable

Oddometer:
    I got the email to destroy it a couple days after they reluctantly sent the return label. I still work for a living and wasn't able to immediately print the label and race down to mail it off. You're right....I wasn't satisfied. They should have handled it differently and I outlined a way for it to have been handled correctly. It's NOT....and wasn't intended to be a "Klim bashing thread".....just sharing an experience and hoping others might benefit if they have to navigate a similar situation with a company that sells quality stuff. It wasn't a blanket condemnation. People can detract from a shopping experience despite a quality product.

You're correct, not everyone who's "on the street" is deserving of charitable acts. I try not to let that fact keep me from trying to help whenever I get the chance.

and Madman.....I'm "slow", but definitely NOT an "idiot". (I've always met quality folks on two wheels, and here on ADV, but....I don't think I'd enjoy riding with either of you two....IMHO)
    CaseyB, JimVonBaden and AdvNener like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not bashing the product, or even the resolution. I was bashing the way it was handled, which was pretty crappy. It is like they do not have a standard policy. First they told him to send it back on his dime, then after he complained, they sent him a return label. Then before he had a chance to return it they told him to cut it up. In the time it took to go through this process they could have gotten him a replacement if they had just told him to cut it up in the first place.

I actually like Klim, though not their prices. I even have a Klim helmet that I like a lot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    OK how do I word this without offending, IMHO you over complicated it and are being a drama queen, no that won't do. Ok here, IMHO you handled that very poorly I'm honestly not trying to offend you. I don't think you're stupid I think your decision was stupid, I'm sure you're a really great guy:)

Whew ok that's over, so Klim offered you a quick easy fix, two of em how were you not satisfied? And us benefit from this thread how?

In a nutshell your jacket broke in 3hrs, you start claim, Klim said send it in, you said pay shipping, short convo they agree. You did not ship (why is irrelevant nobody cares). Klim offers option 2, cut it we'll send another, no trip to UPS, no gas out of your truck, no COVID risk, nada.. That didn't sit right with you because homeless people get wet when it rains. So you tell Klim nevermind then proceed to further destroy your investment. Which I'd like to now point out your solution also did nothing to help the homeless either so virtue signalling on your part c/w, also no real action on your part homeless people still don't get a Klim jacket, homeless people still wet. Quick pat yourself on the back:lol3

You should be jumping with joy in here proclaiming how great Klim treated you, if anything you wasted their time. The world is in chaos people dying by the thousands, half of em are working from home yet they still tried to take care of you promptly. I talked to a Klim lady today after work about a product ETA I could hear kids playing in the background cut em some slack. No instead you decide to create a drama thread in forums with click baity title when you are actually the issue here not Klim.

What jacket did you get, I just ordered a Krios Pro, Baja S4/Enduro S4 Jacket, and Carlsbad Pants. So $2K worth of gear to replace old gear, no way would I tear bits off after 3hrs. Just my opinion, but I'm apparently a jerk and you wouldn't ride with me because I disagreed with you online one time so whatever. :thumbup :D
    EmmEff, Tall Man, SFC_Ren and 8 others like this.
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 beers in that was a really entertaining read:lol3:lol3:lol3
    Patch, Coyote1000, DR650Pete and 2 others like this.
  9. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    I aim to pee/wait please.
  10. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow I've never heard of this before ever! On the rare occasion ive had a problem i just ship a product back
  11. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    On a similar note, I had Gore Tex jacket and pants from a local Oz manufacturer. The pants started leaking in the crotch after a couple of years, well out of warranty, so I rang them to see if they could fix them. They asked me send them back, no problem. I hadn't heard from them for a month or two so I gave them a call and they informed me they couldn't repair them so they were making me a new pair. I asked if they could send the old ones back and I would use them for day rides, which they were happy to do, which was a good thing as they were the ones I was wearing when I broke my leg and they had to cut them off. Sadly, Tiger Angel no longer make textile gear, which is a shame, excellent customer service.
  12. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klim has been nothing but stellar to me. Their products, liberal return policy everything. I love their stuff.

Never tried a Klim helmet but I’d love to try that TK1200 modular some day.
    WAGmore01 and Madman4049 like this.
  13. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Same here, I have a small fortune of Klim in the closet all if it stellar. You really should try the helmet, I have a Krios Pro not the TK1200 but I'll say this and be done. My $900 Schuberth E-1 sits on the shelf now, I'mma sell it. The only annoying part was it was backordered for 5 months after getting it I understand why they stay sold out.
  14. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Klim is over rated and over priced. Jacket had faulty zipper. They admitted that is was a problem. Had to pay for shipping to have it replaced. I'm done with them
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. ukAdventurer

ukAdventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2018, I bought a pair of close out Bull-it Sidewinder jeans in the UK on a 2 week trip there - I live most of the year in Mongolia and Vietnam. They cost £50 (about $62). However, on the bus ride from Sheffield to London Heathrow, a seam split open near the hip just sitting down and a bit of walking. It was too late to return them inexpensively because I was flying to Mongolia the next morning.

I decided to get the seam repaired because the seller would require me to pay the postage both ways (MGL to UK) for a replacement and take ages (1-2 months). That alone would’ve cost more than the originals cost. The EBay seller was not helpful so I contacted Bull-it directly but I didn’t expect much help. I actually wanted to know if I’d bought counterfeits based on the lack of CE swing tag. Their response:

“Hello Martin

Sorry to hear about your dramas with this product. It seems like you have a factory fault as this is not usual.

The product is CE tested for abrasion in the lined areas as stated on the website, it is tested but not approved, so you would not see a CE certificate on the garment.

It’s important for us to look after our customers where ever they are, send us your address and we’ll send you a replacement product, this one you bought is 2 years old from its production date, so can’t offer an old replacement, it will be a new Carbon Black from the current range.

Kind Regards,

Jamie Stubbs
    Covec / Bull-it Jeans”

I was gobsmacked that I bought a £50 pair of discontinued jeans and 2 weeks later received a current pair of their jeans priced about £150 in Mongolia, shipping and tax free. I wasn’t required to destroy the faulty jeans and repaired the seam myself when I got a sewing machine a while later. The new pair had seriously good seams, thankfully.

Each manufacturer has their own culture and policies on returns. Logistically I can’t affordably return stuff so purchasing something online is usually one way. Klim’s policy doesn’t seem terrible but not great either.
  16. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad they don't get the jacket back, send a replacement to the unhappy owner, fix the issue and sell it on ebay at a deep discount (Klim does - or did, not sure about currently - have an ebay store). If you only honor warranty replacement to original owners with a receipt this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing they don't have a fixit shop in the US the way Aerostich does. Potentially a great cottage industry for a few folks with the right skills and equipment who could repair, rebadge and resell at a discount.
  17. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think about it, whoever sells Klim in the US, australia etc are not in a position to fix a jacket, the factory is in china, ex factory the jacket would be maybe a hundred dollars, just easier to order you a new one than attempt to dick around for a repair.:*sip*
  18. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My beloved Tiger Angel jacket is about 14 years old now, i'd love to buy a new one but as you found out no longer made, i don't know another jacket built like the TA, the goretex laminate design, only way to go i.m.o.:*sip*
  19. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with the reflective patch on the arm of my Badlands peeling off. I called Klim and explained what was happening. The asked for a photo wich I promptly provided. They gave me the choice of either a replacement or if I waited a few months, they would send me the next generation jacket. Of course, I waited for the new jacket. A couple of months later, Klim emailed me and told me to cut the jacket in half and send them a picture. I emailed the picture and a couple of hours later, they provided a tracking number for the new jacket. They got a customer for life.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is exactly how it should have happened for the OP. Unfortunately they failed to follow any kind of policy, if they even have one.
    F650Dakar_Norway and BobcatSig like this.