C'mon Klim...really?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Czechplease, Apr 7, 2020.

1. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

It sounds like Klim Policy is cut the product after proving its defective and they send you a new one. Wheres the problem. The customer pays shipping. So what? Why does everyone think we get warranty stuff for free?? Zero cost? Klim has a business to run and costs to absorb. Shipping a new "whatever" should not be one of those costs. They're offering a new replacement "on the house" so why not pay the 30 bucks to get the replacement. The OP is to much of a Puss to cut the jacket so its his loss. It doesn't mater that he spent his well earned money he's not following Klim Policy.

He also doesn't say what he bought. Two full outfits of Klim @ 2k isn't much really. I have a Jacket that cost 1k and it's been flawless. so....
  2. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    I would have used shoe goo and glued the strips back in place. What take them off?
    Jim K. and thirsty 1 like this.
  3. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    he had a tantrum
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reread the first post. If their policy was so set, WTF didn't they go straight to cut instead of running him around first?
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea your right but so what. It sounds like a manager got ahold of a new guy and switched it to cut the coat. So cut the coat and be done with it. Or come on here and we can bicker about it. Hahahah
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly, everyone is so used to free 2 day amazon it's expected/demanded. He should have just done what they said, instead he chose to not and then make a thread and crying about it. There's nothing wrong either of the options they gave, return/wait, or cut/send pic, both are used by many companies. I bought a Krios Pro in Oct, it sat back ordered till 2 weeks ago. Last year I ordered Cayenne Pro pants, sat back ordered 4 mos. I got them, tried them, realized they were hot/heavy and the knee armor was uncomfortable. Repacked and mailed em back 4 months wasted, such is life, companies like Klim, Rev-It are not massive enterprises most are really small.

Agreed lol I spent $2k just for 1 new outfit for myself from Klim, if you are comfortable enough to afford $2k riding gear why is $30 shipping such a big deal?

Yup
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    It seems there are more Klim posts about issues than any other brand?Maybe they sell the most so more chances for something to go wrong.

Most posts follow a similar pattern—
    -Have a problem, either get the runaround or a decline of what seems like should be warranty.
    -Then other folks post, I had an issue and they handled it great.

I’m sure the bulk of Klims product is just fine but hey, mistakes and screwups happens.
    To me, Klims biggest problem is their lack of a consistent policy/procedure to handle these issues.

If everyone got the agent who handles it great we wouldn’t see these posts.
    If everyone got the agent who gives the runaround or declines everything, then Klim would probably fade away.

Having worked in retail my entire life I fully understand that some customers are impossible to satisfy. And some are unreasonable no matter what you do. And some are just plain stuuupid.

But Klim could easily fix this with either a consistent policy or proper training of their agents.
    Having dealt with parent company Polaris for many years in the past, I doubt they care enough to fix this though.
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That IS the point, mine anyhow. Pretty crappy when the policy isn't nailed down to prevent these issues. IF the policy is cut, why have the other two options on the table at all?

All the Klim fanboys are up in arms over their favorite brand being bitched about, but it has nothing to do with the brand, just the policies, or lack of.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-4-9_9-53-2.jpeg
    BobcatSig and Doug Just Doug like this.
  10. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Please explain how in OP's story Klim went wrong? You can't, they offered him industry standard warranty return. By OP's own admittance he did not mail it back (why is irrelevant/on him not Klim). That leads us to option 2 offered by Klim, cut it and send a pic get a new/free jacket no further questions. Again OP screwed up not Klim, OP didn't do as Klim asked because of his moral bs w/homeless people, again his fault/choice not Klim's. I'm sure they offered the 2nd option for one of a variety of reasons, maybe it was cheaper, maybe because alot of them are working from home. Maybe due to COVID they felt it was the safest option. Regardless no matter how he spins it he F'd up, Klim offered two very acceptable solutions.

People generally complain about shit they either can't/won't afford, isn't "their" brand, or more likely in OP's case are spoiled brats and things don't go how they imagined. OP sounds like one of those customers who is impossible to satisfy. Whaaa they didn't offer free shipping so we had to "have a talk". Followed by omg homeless people get wet how dare you ask me to cut a jacket instead of ending up with 2 jackets. They have stupid policies like that because of scammers. If OP is so worried about the homeless why is he spending $2k on riding gear? You can buy a shit load of cheeseburgers and $5 rain jackets at Walmart for $2k. He doesn't he's just virtue signaling to further look the victim in this ridiculous story.

I wonder how he treated the CS staff in the call? Was it with respect, or was it Blaarrggghh my stuff is broke, I need someone to take it out on, it's your fault. My guess is the 2nd one, Klim's agents are great I've talked to them a lot having had helmets/gear on backorder sometimes for 6 months, I always end satisfied.
  11. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    To each his own, but I wouldn't accept being treated like a potential scammer from a company I've paid a lot of my hard-earned money to. I've bought tons of expensive gear over the years and expect a much higher and consistent level of service than is reflected in many of the Klim posts on ADV. I've had vendors provide services such as paying the return and replacement shipping, sending a replacement before receiving the original, sending free repair kits for items like zippers and Goretex, sending free pieces and parts like helmet vents, offering partial refunds (such an offer may have been a good idea in OP's case), and foregoing the return on low-cost items. Those companies may have taken a little hit now and then, but they've earned my continued, in some cases decades-long, business. I've had manufacturers thank me with gifts or credit for pointing out design flaws or for suggesting improvements. I once asked a reseller where they sourced their jacket and pants hangers from so I could order some for myself; two days later a box of them arrived gratis. A small thing, but it lead to many more purchases from me. These are the types of companies I prefer -- the ones who understand that establishing long-term relationships are more profitable in the long-run than mere transactional relationships.
  12. borderlinebob

Oddometer:

*****(Settle down dude. Where in my post did I even mention the OP?
    I pointed out a pattern and if you deny it’s happening, based on the numerous posts on here, you have your head stuck in the sand)******
  13. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    I think the OP wrote a very reasonable post here and this last paragraph makes sense.

You write your posts with an underlying tone of anger (Like you’re Mad) IMO and say some nasty things about someone you don’t know at all.

And just to refresh your memory “Madman” I did say this which I guess we do agree on. I didn’t get feeling that OP fit any of these categories.
    CaseyB likes this.
  14. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Lol I'm not mad, I actually find this thread pretty amusing. It's funny that him and others wanna talk down a company that tried to help. He refused their service out of personal choice, so can't complain. If the story had been hey guys I tried to warranty a jacket because of reflective peeling after 3 hrs and Klim said get F'd live with it I would have a much different tune.

I'm also not trying to be nasty I'm saying he comes off whiny basically I spent $2k but $30 shipping warrants a complaint thread. I hear poor little me stories from troops all the time, usually after fact finding the real story doesn't favor said complainer. Often the complainer actually ends up being the one who instigated said issue. Which I'd like to point out OP basically admitted he was the problem when he admitted he didn't do either of the two options Klim offered. Both of which were good, so there's that:-)
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klim has a target on them due their price point and expectations for their products being at that price point.

Any manufactured product will have a certain % of problems. With Kilm being more popular and their market share getting larger, the question should be is that % is getting larger or what? Could be they still have the same % numbers they’ve always had, it just that there are that many more of their products out there? The other thing you have to think about the source of the complaints. How many of their product owners post in interweb forums? And of those who do post, how many won’t post anything about a product unless they have a problem with it?

My take is that a call was made to Klim and when the OP got his panties in a bunch over shipping costs, the person at the call center had to get the prepaid shipping label approved. At that point the boss said “fuck that ass hole, don’t worry about the old jacket, just get him to destroy the old one and send him a new one.” Much easier than to deal with a malcontent in a simple straight forward way and be done with him than to continue down a path that will never go well.
    HandCanonShootr and thirsty 1 like this.
  16. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Klim is getting more popular, IMHO they are well worth the coin, yes it's steep AF but buy once crye once. If you ask me their QC, overall tech, and quality is going up not down. I look at gear I have from 4 years ago vs gear I bought last month and the quality jump is high, every company has a "monday model" from time to time. I work in aviation maintenance, spent 10 years as an F-16 crew chief, single engine, super high tech/high performance aircraft with a massive amount of shit going on in a tiny body. By all respects a pilot strapped to a jet engine that also has a big effin 30' flamethrower bolted on the back, with a gun, enough bombs/missiles to level a whole base, and a tank of hydrazine to further increase the danger. By all respects every sortie had a very high chance of shit going wrong, our expectation was 100% success because if we F up either the pilot or the wrong people die. We had QA, QA for our QA, exercises, drills, procedures for our procedures, multiple inspectors of each task, etc. Did we still have occasional slip-ups and whoops's you bet your freakin ass. If people were perfect they would be Gods, people who complain about the occasional defect need to consider that and chill out. Where I will be understanding of a bitc$ thread is if the company tells you to pound sand, which in this case didn't happen.

LOL you are probably right on that last paragraph, OP basically had his cake and eat it too with how well they offered to fix it, especially during a pandemic:) I don't think many people consider this but CS and companies keep notes on customers and callers, one of those is if you are a consistent problem, jerk, never satisfied. "my cousin is a CS agent and has horror stories about how shitty and entitled some people can be". Which sounds like OP may be one of those.
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    You KLIM Fanboys just go on and on about quality. The OP wasn't bitching about quality, he was bitching about the lack of consistent application of their policy. But go on and on bashing the OP for his legitimate complaint.
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Someone said it best; there's an expectation that comes with the Klim price tag. And evidenced by many of the posts here on ADV Rider, they miss that mark more than they should. That is the issue, in addition to their wonky and inconsistent customer experience.

Companies that get it right start with the customers at the center of everything. Klim does not do this. It shows.

And with all that said, I still own quite a few Klim pieces; mainly things from their Dakar line. Those are the only ones that seem to be of any quality and fit like other garments in the same size. Although their Dakar leather gloves are hot garbage; failing seems, the leather dye that stains my hand and a horribly short cut to the glove...
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard to get good help these days, how much do you think a call center person makes an hour? Do you suppose it's enough to get someone who can think for themselves AND follow the guidelines to do the work?
  20. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, this shows how cheap it is for Klim to make the jackets.

Its less economic for them to save on the round trip shipping and repair than just sending a new unit.

Where are the jackets made? My assumption somewhere in Vietnam, if so it must cost pennies to make it.

I am not discounting US based R&D/Staffing/Shipping/Distribution and general CAPEX/OPEX that needs to be recuperated. But, once you hit scale, this is the policy you get. Destroy, not repair...

Overall, my experience with Klim is really good, however, in today's environment, it pays to be more environmentally conscious and repair instead of dispose.
    BobcatSig likes this.