C'mon Klim...really?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Czechplease, Apr 7, 2020.

1. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All these comments aside, the end result is, the original poster is now a riding/walking/talking advertisement for Klim. I'm sure that he will have nice things to say about Klim every time he stops somewhere and another rider asks him how he likes his Klim riding gear. Kinda like a traveling salesman I'd say...
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. The Smokester

The Smokester n00b

Oddometer:
    I, too, have had problems with Klim products. In February I bought a Badlands 2 piece suit from a local dealer. After I got it home I realized that the pants' zipper was installed backwards. Returned it for warranty repair, but now, of course, it's in CV-19 limbo. Turns out a whole bunch of pants were like this. Houston, we have a problem.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Well, throwing my hat into the warranty ring. Spouse got the Altitude line of Klim pants and jacket. Sadly, pants were leaking at the crotch area in the rain and the jacket had the reflective material coming off on the front. Sent in the warranty claim on both. Pants will have to be sent in of course, so the jury is still out on how that goes. I pay shipping out, fine, going to send it flat rate USPS.

Jacket though I just sent them pictures and almost immediately they covered it. Only required me to cut it in half and send the photo to prove that. That was the only painful part (cutting it up). As soon as I sent that pic I got an e-mail showing the new jacket is being prepared to be sent.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    You could probably sell that photo.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Probably, but another poster beat me to the punch posting their own chopping up of the jacket for warranty.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    At first glance this is very humorous. But..... it's also a great example just why Klim has to go to such drastic measures to honor a warranty replacement. As long as folks keep coming up with uber-creative ways to cheat the system, the retailer has to come up with ways to circumvent the uber-creative ways. Eventually - they will have no choice but to require you to just return the complete garment.
    NCD, Tall Man, el Pete and 1 other person like this.
  7. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or- make the garment well enough that it doesn’t have to be returned.
    Doug Just Doug, lvscrvs and levain like this.
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Your right, and I wondered when I posted if some would take it to serious..

I would say however that at the price levels Klim operates at, they could easily put say 5-10% of garment sales into the warranty pot and still have a very positive balance.

I dealt with Polaris as a dealer for 11 years and they price product high, build a good product, and when they broke, as a dealer you really had to fight for customer to get covered. They usually acted shocked that their product failed and started you jumping thru the hoops.

None of the above is meant to imply anyone should defraud Klim
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    lol. Even the best made items out there can have flaws in manufacturing. That's why there's warranties. KLIM in my spouses jacket case is honoring it and just requested I cut up the old on to send the new one. Easy enough.

Pants have been sent today via the post office. So we'll see if KLIM will cover it or if I will have to go to GORETEX. I will say, frankly, KLIM should forward it to GORE if it's not their covering. At a minimum they should say, not us, send it to GORE.
    Brtp4, Madman4049 and scootertrog like this.
  10. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    A few thoughts about this:

1. I'm sure many of us have or had several brands of expensive moto gear that only came with a 1 year warranty - and good luck even getting in contact with the manufacturer if/when needed.
    2. Forums are typically a sounding board of a very small percentage of problems. The typical end-user never gets on a forum unless they have an issue and is looking for an answer.
    3. Klim is not using (and never claims to have used) some kind of indestructable material or process to make their gear, so yeah, things can and will go wrong from time to time. That's just manufacturing. It's not unusual and has to be expected - there is no product made on this planet that doesn't have at least a small failure rate.

For every Klim complaint you might read on this website, I'd bet there are many thousands of perfectly happy customers you'll never hear from. Same can be said for most decent moto gear. The fact that they are a USA-based company at least gives one the chance to obtain warranty service if needed. A lot of warranty claim boondongles stem from the claimant not following instructions - can't blame the mfgr for stipulating a procedure to follow. :-)
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of companies don't deal with the RMA or warranty process directly and make you go to the vendor. Such is the case with Rev'It, and many other brands. That is annoying when you have to track down where you bought it, especially when you purchase from a lot of different vendors. Bought off Amazon? Good luck to you. The seller is likely not a "licensed" vendor and your warranty is likely null (happened with a buddy and a pair of Sidi boots he bought)
    WAGmore01 and Brtp4 like this.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like, and thank you for not screaming KLIM at us:lol3
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't have fraud if they just send a return postage paid sticker. Seems like a cheap way to reduce fraud. :dunno
    Richarde1605 and glory racing like this.
  14. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still gob-smacked by Klim asking a customer to destroy its product. I understand the economics of the situation, but still, isn't a manufacturer supposed to be proud of their product? Why would Klim want its customers to have cut-up products, and images of cut-up products? Somehow, I can't imagine Andy Goldfine telling a customer to cleave their RC down the middle for a warranty issue. :^/
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say because the customer is not happy to wait for its jacket to get back to Klim before the new one is sent.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  16. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cutting it up prevents people from receiving the replacement and selling the old one.

It also saves time and money shipping the item back to them... where they will probably cut it up and dispose of it.
  17. Czechplease

Czechplease uncategorizeable

Oddometer:
    Yep, and that was my original point of starting the thread. Never intended it to be a "Klim bash" as many have suggested. The point was to alert others that Klim's "standard procedure" was apparently....unfortunately, to make the purchaser pay to return a product that was less than it should have been from the start. That being said, I've since added to my and my wife's Klim gear....we've each got a hot weather suit and a PNW weather suit....and I don't regret the big $'s spent. It's just that if you make it incorrectly, own your mistake IMMEDIATELY and send the customer a return label on your dime....the MANUFACTURER. At the end of the day, Klim makes the kind of gear that for years I couldn't afford, but now...can enjoy the noticeable difference between their stuff and the less expensive options. Sounds snooty but isn't meant to. The point is to RIDE!
    scootertrog and JimVonBaden like this.
  18. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
  19. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    I've had warranty issues handled very quickly without having to destroy the product. It can be done. Ask Aerostich, Revzilla, MotorcycleGear.com, et al.
    SidewinderX and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. Czechplease

Czechplease uncategorizeable

Oddometer:
    Gotta be cheaper for Klim to pay shipping both ways and re-apply two reflective panels than to eat a replacement jacket they now can't sell at retail cuz they shipped it to me, and required the almost-new first one be destroyed.
    (but maybe I don't understand eekonomix)