CO dirt bike fall at Devil's Punchbowl...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by breeno, Sep 14, 2019.

1. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AGATT add airbag suit & parachute. WOW!!! Glad he lived to tell the tale. Gravity can be a bitch!!
  2. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    That is NOT how you make orange Kool-aid. :fpalm

Seriously though, glad everone made it out of that one.
    That'll be a story to tell for a long, long time.
  3. DirtPoorOverland

DirtPoorOverland Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    F

I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
  5. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being from upstate NY, I hate rocks, give me mud, sand or snow any day of the week.
  6. Off the grid

Off the grid Morally flexible Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel you, I rode for 20years in the Northeast. All over NY/VT/CN/PA/NJ. We had names for the rocks....chicken heads, baby heads, etc.
    Oh, and roots/mud and sugar sand up the wazoo as well. Fun, but exhausting at times.
    I miss the people more than the riding. And such a short riding season too.
    68deluxe likes this.
  7. Haldor

Haldor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could tell he was over his head on the decent. Never descend anything you are not positive you can climb. Climbing is much tougher that descending.
    kwisn, inbred and MCCOYBOY like this.
  8. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    He was defintely a wee bit tentative on the descent. I was throwing a little body english to the inside watching it. :lol3
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    That could have gone very, very badly... glad he's OK.
  10. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad he was OK and they got the bike out. It looked like he was riding outside his skill level judging by the way his friend was riding and how tentatively he was riding. It looks like a place that isn't very forgiving of mistakes.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no one has called BS on the whole "cliff" thing. The first comment on the Fox News presentation was that it looks like a "slide". I concur. Look at the trees. That slope looks to be about 45 degrees. Too steep to stop yourself if you go over but no freefall-then-splat falling off a cliff adventure. I'm guessing the last 5-6 feet to the water was the steepest and he had scrubbed speed sliding down the hillside.

I'm pissed the bike sat in the water a couple days leaching gas into the stream (and while the FS bitched) until they recovered it. I live here. Bumbling Texans need to stay in Texas.

I'm glad the guy made it out with his skin, I don't wish ill of him (despite being a bumbling Texan in my state) but all the breathless media is just crap.
    dovetailredux likes this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess where the new place is that all the tourists are going to want to go and conquer.

It is pretty steep section of mountain, I remember it felt like I was looking straight down on that pool of water, by definition, a cliff does not have to be vertical.
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Enough stupidity and pollution and the FS will close the road to OHV.

I didn't get the turn around part. Guys ride this technical section then turn around and ride back? They were out of road? One can play trials rider on the wrong bike without leaving Texas (gotta rag on Texans)
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I was unaware that people were riding that section and turning around. We rode it by accident a few years ago, just trying to get from Carbondale to Crested Butte. We were planning on Pearl pass but some old guy said there was no was a girl could ride over that pass, looking at my wife. These guys skipped the towns of Marble and Crystal, two great reasons to be riding around that area.

1FF594C9-25A7-4138-97ED-829B6228E59F.jpeg

Looking through my camera roll from that trip, I have some photos from where the incident occurred. He landed in the pool between the 2 waterfalls. He fell over the 3 vertical sections before landing in the water.

8523B8EB-33C6-4A7A-8856-112AFE468141.jpeg

I actually took a photo of that section where he lost control, it was rough enough to warrant a photo. Since I was with my wife, we were trying to keep it to more well maintained dirt roads. This was tough on her.

28CB0F46-C077-48F5-8588-E4F988D32C69.jpeg
    DirtPoorOverland likes this.
  15. DirtPoorOverland

DirtPoorOverland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you guys ride it going uphill or downhill? Seems the going up was an issue as he hit a good rock and got bucked to the left of the trail and slid off. Didn't seem to be terribly difficult going downhill but then again, I've never seen it in person. Just observations.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Up, we were coming from Carbondale, heading to CB.
    DirtPoorOverland likes this.
  17. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, now I'm confused. In the pic Ynzer posted, how would the rider fall into the water without hitting anything on the way down? Would the fall not do this?
    [​IMG]
  18. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Momentum is your friend... my guess is (talking out my ass) that a little bit more speed and he’d not have been bumped off line. I could be wrong.
    mminob likes this.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    no. there is a chute downstream of the line you have drawn. it is hidden in this view by the curve of the hill side. at the top of the chute where it intersects the road it makes a narrow place on the road. At that narrow place one can slip off and go down the chute.

The top of the vertical drops followed by your line is well above the road. Cannot go off there.

We call drops like that steps or benches.
    Motor7 likes this.
  20. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok Plaka....that makes sense.