Co2 inflater vs eletric pump

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tk1250gsa, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those Co2 work great for setting beads problem is you only have one go or maybe 2..
    With dual sport tires being so stiff, it's risky to rely on.. especially if you dont change tires everyday and not a pro at it.

Play it safe and grab a donor hose.. you can pump up your good tire as many times as needed to try again on setting bead on the newly changed tire..

Whatever method you use to help with setting the bead whether it be center straps, zip ties, slicon spray, rotating and bouncing / shaping the tires.. only helps to increase your chances on the first try.

Watch BestRest's video on MC tire changing, great explanation what to watch out for, in particular, not using the center well properly..

At minimum, you should always have a 12v pump/ some plugs with you..
    scottdc and ultane like this.
  2. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^this^^^^^ will make you cuss like a sailor.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True, was first time I realized I could cuss like that, not to mention almost cracking the wheel edges w/ the heavy duty spoon..lol
    ultane likes this.
  4. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Ever try setting bead with co 2
  5. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    No not zip ties, i was referring to a ratchet tie down cargo strap going around the periphery of the tyre. See if you can find the youtube, its in the US and the bloke is using a BMW 1200 adv. I like to do this type of task at home so if in the field no panic.:*sip*
    bykemike likes this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Yeap, i know what you mean.. seen them done both ways.. either long wide zip ties on quarters of tires to keep side walls close to center well when poping the tires on.. then later to flat side walls in preparation for popping the beads.

, or a power / nylon strap around the center of tire to spread / flex side walls out to help seal / sit the beads.. ive used the strap method successfully before but havent used the zip tie methods as of yet..

They both are reliable / consistent..
  7. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Kubota 40hp 4 wheel drive tractor and have used the cargo ratchet belt around the tire method for setting the bead on the tires. If that method will work on my tractor tires it will work on just about any tire we are likely to encounter in the motorcycle world, very effective.
  8. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    If you don't have access to a high pressure pump it helps set the bead on a tyre by removing the valve core. This allows air into the tyre without the valve offering any obstruction so you get a "big dollop" of high pressure air which helps seat the tyre.
  9. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    From whence does this dollop come?
  10. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A less than “high pressure pump”.
  11. RFK

RFK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setting a bead on a tubeless tire on the trail would be close to impossible in my mind... on the rear especially. This is something I've wanted to try. Seems a little sketchy but works quite well for setting a bead in a pinch...
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lol, i carry a butane torch everywhere I go..
    PaulBarton likes this.
  13. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    You would think so, but the last time I tried this method I still couldn't get the bead on the TKC80 to seat. That was using my buddy's 60 gallon compressor with 3/8 lines, which wasn't enough. It took bringing it to work where we have 150psi air lines and 1/2 air hose to get enough volume fast enough to seat it.

We had to do that both times we mounted that tire. I suppose it could have had a bent bead, but it didn't leak air once seated. That tire was a real bitch.
  14. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    You should YouTube this. There are plenty of vids of this method going awry. In concept, the explosion provides the means of setting the bead but in practice -- in an uncontrolled environment -- OOPS!

Plus, do you really want to carry a butane torch on your ADV trip?
  15. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue with a Shinko 805 on the rear. The front 804 seated no problem. I couldn't get the rear to seat for my life. I was using a little pancake compressor -- removed valve core, ratchet strap, warmed tire, etc. I tried everything multiple times. Finally, took it to a nearby Les Schwab. Took him a couple of tries but he finally got it seated. Asked him the issue -- "needed more PSI". Got home and ready to mount the wheel -- notice the tire is mounted in reverse. Sh*t! Pull the tire, swap it around (fully expecting to end up back at the Les Schwab a little red-faced). Nope! This time the pancake compressor seated the tire. Now I'm about to go through that all again as I've worn that tire out....I'll keep you posted on round 2.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used 25gram CO2 cartridges to set the beads on tubeless tires that were a PITA to set and then used a 12v pump afterward. It is never a bad thing to have more than one option... :deal
    Deano747 likes this.