1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach Ramey Stroud Injured

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by davidpetersen, Nov 17, 2003.

1. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellow GSers:

I just received word that "Coach" Ramey Stroud was seriously injured at an indoor MX race in Salem, OR on Nov 7th, 2003.

Many GS riders know Coach Ramey for his excellent GS off-road riding seminars. In addition to his teaching credentials, he's also a world class off-road rider himself, having competed in the Baja 1000 and the Paris-Dakar, etc.

He's got serious head trauma, collapsed lung and some paralyzation to his lower body.

Any cards and letters can be sent to his home at PO Box 56, Lyons, Oregon 97358

David
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    is not like I know coach that well,but he sound like a good person,a great teacher and for sure a hell of a rider

Coach Larger than life
    [​IMG]

I hope he gets better soon or at least some day
  3. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Coach is a great guy, rode the '02 Rendevous with him, a hell of a rider and all around nice guy. Best wishes to him and his family.:cry
  4. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Ramey was my transit partner on the Alcan 5000. I think I learned, in that nine days, more form him than any other I have known.

I hope for a speedy recovery for Ramey, and send he and his wife Cynthia the very best wishes for the future.
  5. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Fellow GSers:

Sent to me by another rider who just visited Ramey:

"I drove down to Salem and visited Ramey in the hospital.
    He's on oxygen and has a collapsed lung. He can talk very faint. Not much strength in his lungs right now. He's battling fluid as his lung are healing. He sustained a broken back and will need therapy once they find out the extent of the damage. He can't remember anything about the accident. He knows he has a head
    injury, but his will is very strong. He's not going to let anything stop him in his recovery. Still planning and projecting a active future. Might even have another angle on a book to write...?
    I'll keep you posted on any new changes."

Please keep Ramey and Cynthia in your prayers.

David
  6. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    Get well Soon
  7. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Fellow GS'ers:

Here's the latest on Coach Ramey Stroud's condition. Some news is good, some is bad.

Yesterday he was moved from the Salem, OR hospital to a rehabilitation center, where he'll stay for the next 4-5 weeks. After that he'll be going home.

He received a severe impact to the head, resulting in some brain trauma and swelling. He seems to be recovering but it's unknown whether there'll be any long term effects. He has difficulty with short term memory, yet easily recalls events several months ago.

He received a broken back, bruised spinal column, and punctured lung. He underwent surgery and one vertebrae was removed. Ramey is paralyzed below the chest. The extent and duration of paralysis is not yet determined. Yesterday he was able to move one foot and lower one leg from a bent position, both good indicators that there may be other movements possible.

The best case scenario is that Ramey may walk again, in a year or so. The worst case scenario is that he'll be in a wheelchair.

His attitude is positive, and he's glad to be alive. The first thing he said when I visited him was that he could feel people's prayers. He thanked everyone for their prayers, and asked that they continue.
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    exept is one more reason to live your life to the fullest,because you never know what a new day will bring..

yeah coach crash on his bike,,well at least he was doinging something he loves,,as oppose to be hit by a "cell phone driver" or a Postal employ going postal...

I really wish him the best, he is a Cool cat and deserves a second chance...

David say :wave to him from me and wish him well
  9. Mike Butt

Oddometer:
    From the LDRider list:
    Guys:

I've talked to Cynthia several times, beginning the day of Ramey's accident a few weeks ago, and I've spoken to him several times as well, including this morning. As many of you know, he was seriously injured during a Super Cross race while riding a Yamaha YZ426. He was initially paralyzed and the prognosis was scary, but it seems things are improving a lot.

He's working his butt off every day in physical therapy and has now recovered almost total control of his left leg. His right one is still swelled up and it will be a while before he gets the use of it back. He still speaks in a whisper, although his whisper this morning was louder than before - he had a collapsed lung. He also had a concussion, but there isn't any long-term damage to the brain and he's about got his memory back.

He's planning to be home for Xmas and will be doing training every day. The doctors say it will be one year before he reaches whatever level he expects to reach, which will probably include riding again. He doesn't expect to ride competitively again.

All things considered, he's happy with where he's at, as it's a lot better than the original fears that he might possibly not walk again. Cynthia thought it was a miracle to see his left leg come back, as his spinal cord had been badly bruised. Fortunately, he was wearing all the best protective gear.

Can someone post this to the LDRIDER list?

That's all I know...............

Ron Ayres
  10. Coach

Coach Coach

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the wonderful messages and posts since my crash. I came close to eating the big one but I'm on the mend now. I have my voice and memory back. My left leg is almost back to normal, but I'm still in intensive training to get my right leg working.

After being a firefighter and athletic coach most of my life, it's hard to be on the receiving end. It sometimes feels like I'm a weakling-- someone who can't pull their own weight. But I shake that sort of BS thinking off fast-- coming back from an injury is just another form of training.

Get-offs happen to all of us in one way or another, the difference is how we handle it. The trick is to keep looking ahead-- setting goals and putting them on the calendar.

My latest goal was to get some wind in my face again. I can't hold a bike up yet so Plan Two was to adapt a hack to my Adventure:

It works and I'm jamming gears again!

You guys and ADVrider help me more than you'll ever know-- just by being there. So I'll be back on the trail -- hopefully by next season-- to ride with you again.

Ride Safe,
    Coach
  11. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear :thumb

Congrats on the progress.
  12. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    :clap Excellent news, glad you're on the mend. :thumb
  13. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Great news. :thumb
    buy the looks of you're hack I give you six months and you'll be racing it. :lol3
    Good on ya. :nod If you're in need of a monkey I'm sure you'll get all kinds of volunteers this one included. :deal
  14. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    It is really good to hear of your remarkable recovery! The chassis and suspension on the hack looks really nice-what sidecar are you using?
  15. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Great news - :nod

Ride safe and welcome to the asylum :D
  16. Coach

Coach Coach

Oddometer:
    It is an EZS Sidecar Kit which is made in Holland. The leading-link front forks were for a standard BMW GS. They had to be modified extensively for the AdventureGS and a new rear shock made to balance the front end. The USA EZS representative is at: http://www.ezs-usa.com

I am very impressed with the traction and quality of handling. I am not pleased with the effect of adding a sidehack brake to the BMW EVO-ABS computer loop. I'll have to get it sorted out because the EZS folks couldn't.
  17. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Way to go coach....you're the inspiration and help to us. Keep fighting.
  18. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Coach, thanks for posting this update and best of luck with your continued recovery.

:thumb
  19. Mike Butt

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Coach :thumb

Mike Berlien
  20. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Things that go bump in the forums

[​IMG]

Coach in Batopilas, 2007