1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Coal Creek OHV (East TN) Garmin Map's

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Heres some GPS maps for Garmin Receivers from Coal Creek OHV.

more info on this OHV area (77,000 acres) at www.coalcreekohv.com , it is located in Oliver Springs, TN, and is the best riding around.

There is also a demo to show how to make your own. This program will install the map into Mapsource. From there you can send to your GPS as your normally would a map (like topo map or city navigator map,etc)

http://www3.polarcomm.com/~rspoonla/GPS/CoalCreek.zip

This covers all the area, plus up to near by places. Here is the same map but in transparent form. I haven't installed this one yet, but its suppose to be able to show/dispaly at the same time as a topo map or any other map you have on your garmin. That way you have all your topo data on the screen at same time. The first does include some topo and rivers/streams built into the map.

http://www3.polarcomm.com/~rspoonla/...reek_Trans.zip

This method is ALOT better (I think), then the previous way of loading the trails into your track log (which limits in what and how much you can do), this is just part of the map. The guy who made these maps made them based off Tommy's GPS data (http://www.tommyrhea.com/gps.htm)

He has put together a demo to explain how to make your OWN maps tho which he said took less then 10 mins to compile. I havent looked into the demo yet, but I plan on it, as then you can update and change the trail info to include any changes or add side trails or whatever you wanted to do.. If anyone dives in and figures this out pretty easily, please report back!! Here is the demo file

http://www3.polarcomm.com/~rspoonla/GPS/MapDemo.zip

I was also looking into the program some that he used to make this, and there is even a way to make the trails routable. Like any of you gps users sit down and draw out road rides on mapsource then upload to follow them turn by turn. But these are not. Which its not really needed to make em routable, but just to let u know the power of the program..

Again these are only for Garmin GPS's, these wont work on any other brand, and will only work with Garmins that allow you to upload maps to them (some of the basic cheapest garmins it wont work). I'm sure they are probably other programs out there that will do the same stuff for Magellans,etc. But I dont have that info. But if I figure out how to do all this on the garmin, I will be looking for them. As I got a Magellan coming to play with.

Hope this helps some of you guys! I know I am looking forward to GPSing at Coal Creek.

[​IMG]
  2. sts900

sts900 n00b

Oddometer:
    I grew up in between Bricville and Oliver Springs, me and my friends have been all over there on ATV's. It's funny that you can take driving your ATV into your backyard and be in this area for granted, no I know what I had.:cry Oh, well now i just have to drive 44 minutes to my parents to do it.
  3. Jason sandsux

Jason sandsux Purple Helmet Driver

Oddometer:
    do you know the trails from Carryville North to KY. I'd love to do a ride from Oliver Springs to KY but don't know the Norther 1/2. Can you help with either maps or a guide??
  4. Python423

Oddometer:
    I don't know the area well, I plan on doing alot of exploring this year.. I use GPS so getting lost is less likley then normal.. I have a map of royal blue (paper map), I've heard talk on the coal creek message board about royal blue connecting and even into KY. Let me know if you'd like to explore together.

[​IMG]
  5. Jason sandsux

Oddometer:
    I'd love to. I know how to get from coal creek up to royal blue. If you have a map of that area and north and a gps then I say we just go to royal blue and try to figure out the north end first. We could then back track and do the entire ride on another day. It'll be 2 days of riding to do the entire thing. Lets ride. Just let me know when.
  6. Python423

Oddometer:
    let me know when is good for u, I am off Sundays and Wednesdays, usually go to chruch on Sunday but could miss for a ride, I am done early from work Saturday (like 8am)I've not rode Royal blue yet, or even North side of Coal Creek, but am ready.. the GPS will help us from getting lost.. I have paper maps of Coal creek and royal blue.. email me.. What bike do u have? I have the drz400E and the DR650 dual sport, would a tagged bike be needed? I'd rather take the 400 but I can take the 650 if portions are going to be on public roads.. I can handle it pretty good offroad so either way..
  7. Jason sandsux

Oddometer:
    If anyone else wants in on exploring this area, please email me directly.
  8. edfetz

edfetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Python

Thanks for the Coal creek map ! I loaded it in my Garmin V with no problems. Do you have any GPS maps for Hatfeild / Mccoy? Me and a few buddies are planning to head down your way in Febuary. Too cold to ride up here in New England !!!

Ed :D
  9. Python423

Oddometer:
    No I dont have any.. The guy who made that tho , made a demo to show ya how to make your own maps.. He used the freely available track data to make it. Do they have any gps data available? if so, you could make a map out of it.. I havent sat down and watched the demo yet and figured out how to make my own maps via tracks, but I'm eventually going to..
  10. Python423

Oddometer:
    There has been an update to this map for Garmin's, it now color codes the trails for dificulity.

This map overlay was created by RWS over at the windrock board. This version was released on May 13th 2007. Original thread where it was released is here,

http://www.windrockatv2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5480

This map was created from GPS track data available on Tommy Rhea's site: http://www.tommyrhea.com/gps.htm

This map will install into Mapsource where you can select it for upload to your Garmin color GPSr.

The trails are color coded to indicate riding difficulty....see attached screenshot from a Garmin 276c
    Green easy
    Black moderate
    Magenta difficult
    Red extreme

The trails are labeled and will show trail numbers when zoomed in and also when you pan the GPS cursor over them.

T for trail as T #1
    G for gravel road as G #1
    P for paved road as P #1

download the map here...the zip file contains an installation program and a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file with instructions

http://www.mediafire.com/?0nn5mgnynmh

[​IMG]
  11. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try and get the color map and all I get is this error message??????
  12. Python423

Oddometer:
  13. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks a ton man.....just got the file from your stie. :D

I may have to check this place out since it isnt too far from me. I have ridden across TN116 on the streetbike (AWESOME road) and seen a lot of quads running around at one area off the road but had no idea this place even existed.
  14. Python423

Oddometer:
    Its a huge place to ride. We recently rode Brimstone in huntsville,TN (just up the road from coal creek), and this place is AWESOME. We actualy got a ride planned there for this coming Saturday, if u wanted to join us. I think we will have 7 or 8 riders maybe..

I'd also like to invite ya to join www.smokymountainriders.com , we have a local riding community there also.

Here is a link to the thread about the Memorial Day weekend ride, They are riding all weekend, but I am just riding that Saturday,

http://www.smokymountainriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=129

Heres a link to more info on Brimstone,

http://www.smokymountainriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=152

And heres a link to some pics of my first ride at Brimstone,

http://www.smokymountainriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=102

And heres a link to all the Coal Creek OHV info I have,

http://www.smokymountainriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=27

Hope to see ya over at smokymountainriders,
    Python
  15. Python423

Oddometer:
    Also something else I need to inform ya about. I haven't actually loaded this map yet onto my GPS (I'm still using the original one). The origianal one was offered in two versions, full map, and an overlay (just the trails). The full map would show other terain in the area all included, like streams, peaks, roads,etc. While the overlay was designed to just show the trails, so you could run it at the same time as your TOPO or any other map that you use. To give you ALOT more detail on the area. Its my understanding this new file is OVERLAY only. So you can run it at the same time as whatever other map you use on your Garmin (just be sure to check both in the map setup). Topo would be Ideal, but the Street Maps would be better then nothing. Hope that explains it a little better.
  16. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, but I couldn't make it this weekend. Our 2nd son is expected to be here on Friday.

I don't have a dual-sport currently. I have a YZ250 for the dirt and a trailer to haul it on though - but it's not plated. Thinking very hard about adding a D/S to the garage once the R6 has a new home though.

I went over and checked out the SMR site a bit - really like those pics of the Cherokee S-T trails. :evil

BTW - what kind of GPS do you use? I have been thinking of getting the Garmin Legend CX for use on the YZ in the woods, but am not sure if I will have trouble getting signal. I use the 2720 on the ST and in the truck, so don't need a fancy unit for the YZ.
  17. Python423

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek, Royal Blue, and Brimstone, you don't have to have a tagged bike to ride. So no need for dualsport there. But yeah Dualsports are nice to be able to explore around on. I have the DR650 dual, and a drz400e for offroad.

Yeah thats super nice trail, its only about 5 miles long I think, but its fun to ride. Theres another one off smith mountain near it that we havent road yet, It was late in the day when we got to it, so we decided to hit home. Its on my "to do" list.

I was in same boat u were a while back, trying to decide on the new Garmins or the old Etrex series. I went with the Garmin 60CSX just because I was concerned about wooded area. So I dunno how well the etrex prefroms. I since then added a 60C (discontinued model), which u can get on ebay alot of times for around 200 or less. It has limited amount of memeory, but its perfect for offroad. With these map overlays, you dont have much trouble with Garmin, but where u run into problems offroad is the 20 track limit, if u are trying to make your own maps, and dont know how to make the overlays. Your limited to 20 tracks on the Garmin.. I think Lowrance is 1000. Lowrance is way to go offroad, like one of the newer models or the H2oC , but I havent seen one working, so I just know what the stats are. My guess is the Garmins will be friendlier with software and such, but the Lowrance has alot more features that are needed for offroad.. Don't get a Magellan, you won't be happy with it!
  18. shokdimn

shokdimn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Python, thanks for posting the info on this place. Didn’t know about it until seeing your post.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  19. Python423

Oddometer:
    check out www.smokymountainriders.com , we have offroad section over there , with several sticky threads with lots of info on various offroad riding areas in TN.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    How in the world do you open that map? I installed it like the readme said but its no where to be found.