Coast to Coast Canada in winter??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, Dec 15, 2005.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    pretty cool, on a 350.

Paul as a primer, reading material, read "south" by shakleton, doesnt have anything to do with this thread other then a cold journey.

2. Deleted20078

Deleted20078 Guest

You may wish to remember the golden rule when riding a bike.

Watch out for the cagers !!!

Yesterday in Quebec, it was + 11 C.
    Tonite, I just checked and it's -18 C.

I'd be a bit scared riding across the country in such extreme weather.

Your chances of wiping out due to slippery roads are greatly increased
    and oncoming traffic may find it just as slippery trying to avoid you.

Anyways, it's your life and your bike so good luck, bro.
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...goes like this. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize."

Aside from limited traction in some areas due to the seasonal climatic conditions, there should be nothing but the matter of your own resolve to keep you from making it across the continent.

Those who suggest the motorcycle isn't made for sub-zero temperatures obviously haven't done it. A motorcycle's mechanicals aren't that much different from a car's, and we know that cars can continue to operate in -40° temps and colder. For below 0°F/-18°C operation, I use synthetic lubricants from one end to the other, including the forks (which do fine with 5W-40 year 'round). Anti-freeze in a 60/40 mix will keep the radiator from bulging to over 60° below zero F, and if you're riding in those temperatures you're a far better man than I am.
    Just as with a car or truck, you want to warm up the cold machine carefully, but once everything is up to temperature it's ready to roll.
    Alcohol added to the gas is hardly necessary in cold, dry areas, but traveling from a milder, humid climate to the cold without treating the gas is asking for problems. It's a good preventative measure, but one to be done in moderation, as a high percentage of alcohol in the gas has the effect of leaning the mixture. In the higher altitudes of the Rockies, that might actually help.
    My Concours, on which I did a cold ride down the Alcan, started and ran just fine in temperatures that only got above 0°C for a few miles in mid-day. As far as the bike was concerned, it could have been 80° in the shade.
    Even now a few of us are making plans to ride from Deadhorse, AK to Key West in late February/early March (when temperatures in Interior Alaska can easily be down to -30°F/-34°C) and our primary concern is traction, not whether the bikes will run.
    Glad to see you're going to make the run - or at least an attempt at it. Weather can throw a monkey wrench into the best plans. Just concentrate on being safe. I'll look forward to reading your report. :wave
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Good post, Alcan Rider!

I fired up the KLR the othr morning to see how it would do, and it fired right up at -20. Just thought I'd try it.
  5. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I for one am glad to see that just like I, some riders do not let the seasonal changes alter their desires to ride..
    It is all common sense..

I have had a lot of good feed back so far and an amazing amount of help and support.. This is what will make the ride fun and this is also the reason why I will make it..

So as i get all my equipment ready, purchased and in some case made. i will post the pictures and all..
    Thanks again!:clap
  6. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I am going to start adding pictures as the bike I will ride on the trip gets equipped..
    This is the one I will ride.....
    anyone with ideas of what to do or add is welcomed to help me..
    Cheers!:wink:

[​IMG]
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    So...what was your final choice of bike Paul?
    BMW 650?
  8. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I am choosing the 650 Dakar because it is light. good gas mileage.. easy to handle and when i WILL drop it it will be eaasy to pick up..
    It has enough generator power for heated vest and auxiliary lights..

Plus i had one before..And i totally loved it.

The one you see on the picture is actually the one that got totalled when a young asian driver ran me down last march and put me out of commission for 10 months..

It is a thumper. lesss moving parts in cold therefore less friction..
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough, that was my friend Steve's #1 choice as well.

Looking forward to the pics.
  10. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    This sounds like an interesting trip. This thread gets marked to visit more often. Best of luck on your trip, if you need anything from Virginia, I'll help, but we don't get winter here, so I'm not sure what I can contribute.

Leon Begeman
    A few Ninja 250s
    & a Suzuki DL-1000
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Hey Leon! Good to see ya! :wave

I thought maybe you fell off the edge of the earth or sumptin'.

(Paul, Leon rides with Steve and I sometimes, he rode 362 out of 365 days last year)
  12. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Cool! Thanks guys for being interested and supporting the idea!

Cheers:clap
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I first saw this thread I wondered if it was you posting it. :wink:
    Been keeping a ride to Nome in mind, and checking on the logistics of same. See you in Jacksonville?

Jack
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    :rofl:roflY'know Alcan Rider, if I didn't know both of them, I would have thought the same thing!!! :rofl
  15. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Talk to us, Alcan Rider-ride to Nome? Following the Iron Doggers?

Curious minds want to know. :norton
  16. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A while back, I asked Jack (Alcan Rider) about riding on the frozen rivers in Alaska. Based on a web search, there is some traffic. If there is other traffic, then in theory it should be possible for a motorcycle to do the same. But, such dreams take many years to accomplish. This thread seems to be a small step toward doing that. I look forward to learning from Paul's work. I've met both Ron and Jack, maybe next winter I can meet Paul as well.

Almost forgot, Yes, I will be in Jacksonville in March.
  17. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Im still gonna send pictures, when I ride the ice road out to Jacques. :smile6
  18. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I will be carryinbg a Notebook and camera during the trip.. at the end of the day in my room I will post the pictures and events of the day just as the day went.. Temperatures, obstacles, stops etc.. everything that makes riding great...

I am soo freking looking forward to this, THIS IS ALL i AM THINKING ABOUT.

Cheers:wink:
  19. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well let's get on with it. I'll be watching this one. Someone has to do it...way to step up to the plate:clap .
  20. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    BTW I have to guys so far who have offered to meet me on the road and ride a while with me...
    If anyone is interested in riding any distance with me and meet me at any point, please PM with your info and I will keep this in my road journal and meet you in time..

Also can anyone confirm if there is any way to operate my Garmin 2620 in the cold without screwing it up..??:huh

Cheers!:clap