Coast to Coast Canada in winter??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, Dec 15, 2005.

1. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Shit! I just can't stop laughing.. :poser I would love to meet you! Your straight to the point honesty is wild..

You are right. But it could be fun too.. But make no damn mistake about this?? You stat whyning on the trip and you are on your own, abandoned to the mercy of the great white north..:deal :nono

But assume here that you can put a few riders together who are willing to try and push themselves.
    Think of the fun around the beer in the evening after a day of fighting the cold and checking if your balls are still there or looking like to scoops of buble gum flavored ice cream!:D
  2. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you must have taken the Goddess of good weather with you on the plane, Paul.

The City of St. John's was completely shut down by a massive winter storm today.

:huh
  3. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    You know? If i had done things in my life based on what other said.. I would still be home dreaming about going to south america, diving off a 90 foot bridge, travelling all over.mountain climbing or just plain taking a chance!

In a case like this, we are talking riding in winter.. Does not matter where and where we are going..

But if some dudes wanted to make it to NL.. Well! Shit go as far as you can and see then.. If you make it to NL, GOOD! and if you don't. GOOD!

It is a lot easier to say I shouldn't have! than "I should have..

Regrets are a lot heavier on your shoulder than nay boulder you could ever carry!

Your life iwould be richer for having tried, than if you had sstayed home scared and worried.

That is mny 2 cents..

Note: this is only my opinion! And an opinion is like an asshole! Everybody's got one!!!
  4. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    I guess that means Charley Boorman's out...:jack
  5. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Shit I knew I brought the bad crap with me but I did not want to bring this that long to my Newfoundlander cavalry!:huh

Sorry Goeff!
    Is Bill spending time snowblowing all over????

Mike must be happy.. he can ski till his nuts fall off!

Bill! Has Scott heard from BMW??

It was about 10 degrees and rode in Jeans and light jacket!!!
  6. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Charlie can drive the suppport vehicle! You think he can??
    We can put that beads seat cover thing there!!!:rofl
  7. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    THAT IS THE SHIT WE LIVE FOR RIGHT?:clap :clap
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Paul, could you PM me an email address for the hi hi res pics that
    I havent posted yet?

Thanks ;

Ron
  9. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I forgot to mention Riverside, they're the local KTM dealer! :evil Our son had to see if his bike would fit in the truck he just bought.
    [​IMG]

We're pretty lucky cause all the dealers are good about demo rides as well, I was in Argyll one day and Paul our salesman who sold Jodie the RT, throws me the keys to a Multistrada and says, "here you need to try it out to see if you like it better than the R1200GS", which I had just rode the week before. Gee do I have to Paul? Call the office and let them know I'll be a little late getting back...:clap
  10. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Im just sayin that your timing worked out good.
  11. Newfie_DR650

Newfie_DR650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Edge of the World, St. John's, Newfoundland
    Hey Paul,

Great you made it back.........I guess.

Now time to decompress and organize your thoughts, video and pictures.

Its funny but after riding every day on long trip you get to the end, wake up the next day and feel like going to throw a leg over a bike.

Cool Hand is right about the weather, remember the 5ft high rock wall in front of my house at the sidewalk level. Well the snow is now level with that wall and this time last week you could still see the grass and empty sidewalk in front of my house.

More on the way this weekend about 20cm tomorrow afternoon BUT the West Coast of the island is supposed to get up to 60cm in one dumping.

As for Frosty, no one has called to retreive her yet. She is in good company with the Dnepr, R1, Lightning, Thunderbolt and the other bikes. She is parked away from the Buells so no Harley Germs will get on her. :D :D :D

I have to go up and clear the snow from one of the doors so we can get her out when needed. I might take the Dnepr out for a ride or two after the snow this week as well.

Make sure you keep in touch and remember I have a house on the coast if your coming back this summer.
  12. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:

Good thinking!

:thumb
  13. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul, you timed it right, buddy & I'm glad you decided to fly back.

Solid -25C to -36C (ambient) temps here for the next week or so...It's not going above -15C even during the day.

I shudder to think about the wind chill temps when it dips down this low...
    Hell I went and bought a higher-trigger winter thermostat at Canadian Tire for my cage last night because I can't get the side windows cleared driving around town, it's that cold.
  14. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How 'bout a trip through Labrador in winter...

[​IMG]

Or maybe coast to coast across Canada, without using the ferry to get to Newfoundland...

[​IMG]

:D
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    Ok, that's the BEFORE shot, where's the AFTER? Or is it just bubbles... :huh
  16. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. bross

Oddometer:
  18. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I know coolhand! I think i still can feel the horseshoe up my ass! The timing was simply amazing!:evil

I knew what you meant... I hope3 i did not come across wrong!
    Thanks Buddy!:freaky
  19. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Paul, I have a buddy who lives and works in Attawapiskat, on the Ontario side of James Bay. His daughter plays on my daughter's hockey team.

He works for the diamond mine company and is heading up there this weekend. He's going to be working on the ice road that connects Moosonee (N51 16.544 W80 38.394) to Attawapiskat (N52 56.000 W82 24.000) over the next month @ 250 km of ice road over James Bay that is strong enough for carrying heavy tractor trailers with mining equipment on them from Feb - April every year.

I was joking with him and said that we should have a bunch of Crazy adv riders be the first to travel the ice road there and back...500 km over frozen salt water LOL

He just said 'say the word' and he could ask management at the mining company (they own and maintain the road...we would need their permission)

That might be an ADV trip to consider for next Feb/March ?
    It would involve a bit of logistics. We would have to take a freight train to Moosonee from Cochrane, get to Cochrane, etc.
    For that run, I would probably reccomend a small party of 2-3 riders, and a support team, i.e. someone with a pickup following us who could scoop up anyone who's broken down, etc. I know some locals there, so that probably wouldn't be too hard to arrange.

I'll bet if we were flexible on dates, we could probably do it no problem, on a nice, sunny clear winter day...

What say you for next winter ?

250 km each way of this...

[​IMG]

The funny part is, even though to us Ontario folks, that seems like 'way up north,' it's on @ the same latitude as Edmonton...

I'm hoping to ride the James Bay Road up the Quebec side to Chiasbi in August...just have to pick a weekend to do it as a 5-day trip from North Bay.