Coast to Coast Canada in winter??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear Oshawa is next :evil
  2. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Paul, I think that doing the ride in January was most fortunate. I am not one to say that you had it "easy" because of the weather, I saw you leaving here at 4 pm in the gathering darkness and increasing snow!
    But, it was fortunate you are not trying to ride through this:
    Warnings

City of Thunder Bay
    11:31 AM EST Friday 2 February 2007
    Wind chill warning for
    City of Thunder Bay issued

Extreme wind chill values for tonight and Saturday morning.

This is a warning that extreme wind chill conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

An extended period of snow squall activity will continue to the Lee of Lake Superior and Georgian Bay as very cold Arctic air prevails.

The snow squall activities activity between Montreal River and Batchawana Bay have diminished to flurries at times heavy for now but are expected to redevelop this evening and overnight.

Persistent flurries and squalls will linger today and tonight in the North Bay area as well. Total amounts of 40 to locally 50 centimetres are possible in some localities. Snowsqualls over eastern Sudbury and Espanola - Killarney regions are expected to diminish this afternoon as the wind shifts to more westerly.

Caution is advised as travel will be hazardous in the warned areas due to local whiteout conditions in falling and blowing snow.

A very cold Arctic airmass settling over northwestern Ontario combined with winds up to 15 km/h will result in wind chill values in the minus 40 to minus 47 range for tonight and Saturday morning.

On the other hand, you would have been able to enjoy some good Thunder Bay hospitality for a few days !
  3. ThePearl

ThePearl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    They kept calling you the Crazy Frenchman through this whole adventure. Well, I have a new name for you. OLD MAN WINTER!! You had great weather for the most part on your way across the country. Before you came into New Brunswick, we had not had any winter. No snow, no cold. You brought our first winter storm with you and it has never stopped. :pissedWe've been getting snow storm after snow storm since you were here and its been cold every day too. Man I hate winter!! Can't wait to ride!! Probably start in March as long as the weather cooperates. Hope you've been getting some riding in.
    By the way, they're trying to ruin the sport of motorcycle riding here in NB. No kids can have a minibike until the age of 14 here now. Not even the little mini 50's. How crazy is that.:topes
    Shayne
  4. drop

drop XR650R Pilot

Oddometer:
    Big Doug,
    De Beers is unlikely to let you on their winter road. What's in it for them? The native bands of Kash and Ft. Albany are already pissed that the road goes by their communities and they aren't getting the financial benefits that the people ofAttawapiskat are. There were blockades of the road in protest in early winter. Obiviously the very existence of the road is a point of contention. I doubt they are going to push their luck and let civilians from the city come up and do tours on it. If you do end up getting permission to go on the road, don't forget to get permission to enter the reserves or the land surrounding Ft. Albany, Kash, and Attawapiskat from the respective band offices. You could be fined or imprisioned for entering these places without permission. Yes, the latitude isn't very far north compared to some parts of Canada but don't forget that these are very remote areas with a very harsh winter climate.
  5. drop

drop XR650R Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey, I used to live a block away from here.
    </they>
  6. CB(R)ider

CB(R)ider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    everytime i read this thread i want an enduro even more.... just makes sportbikes seem so unappealing :D
  7. Dances With Roads

Dances With Roads mild observations Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hay Paul!

Dances With Roads here. I just saw your picture in Andy Goldfine's catalogue (Rider Warehouse)! I always said that you were an unusual fellow (in a good way!) and was wondering when I would come in contact with you again.

Congratulations on the completion of your trans Canada trip! Now that I have found this thread I will read all of it... I can't wait to hear about your adventures! You are one crazy Canadian for sure.

I live in Colorado now and just got back from a little romp in the canyons. I hope you are doing well and look forweward to meeting up with you out there somewhere.

Be well my friend

Reed
  8. CplRooster

CplRooster I'm a what?

Oddometer:
    Just revisiting an old thread that I saw a link to in the Aerostich Nov 08 supplement. I will have to go back and read the 90 pages previous to this posting.

We have celebrity in our midst.:D
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

He's also written a book, which should be out soon.
  10. CplRooster

CplRooster I'm a what?

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted...I need more stuff to dust:lol3.
  11. Slowhand Montenegro

Slowhand Montenegro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, just spent a couple of hours reading this, fenomenal ride.

Ride on...
  12. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
  13. Rotten Ronnie

Rotten Ronnie Crash

Oddometer:
    Kelly's Cross, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I think my eyes would freeze just looking at the ignition switch. :0
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you,Paul, it's been a while!
  15. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Yes it has been too long. Life has thrown few curve balls my way but it is all getting better. We will have to catch up at one point. Ron! I am having a brain fart now, :huh don't laugh at me!!! Did I ever give you my books?
    I think I have!! If not?? Please send me your address and I will send them to you ASAP. But not before I apologize.:freaky
  16. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    You didn't send them, but that's OK...I think 'we've all had a few curve balls over the last year or so...

I'm living in. Thunder Bay now...I like it here.

If you come through, I'm only about one minute off the highway.
  17. dmitrizouev

dmitrizouev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    motorcycles rides on two wells, winter riding is dangerous. If you want to go ,do it on bike / side car. We are riding back home at winter , mostly ice fishing.URAL is good ,its slow and has no electronics , so you can get the battery off at night ,keep it at warm place and get it back to start up.Snowmobiling gear may be an option, and heated one.And remember Jason Blake spinorama last year , even he score , he steel look like an idiot .Good lack .
  18. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    Where's mine?:lol3:lol3:lol3

Woodgrain
  19. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Wifey says they're in Paul! I'm still up at the mining camp, but will give them a read when I get home!

(and Thanks!!)
  20. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Hey!:freaky You are alive!!! PM me your address Buddy! Good to hear from you. Actually there is a pic of you in the second book.

Talk to you soon