Coast to Coast Canada in winter??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, Dec 15, 2005.

1. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    What the hell Paul...you only come out when winter is near !!!!! What are you planning now ?
  2. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Hey Hey!!:D How are you? Yep!! I hibernate in summer. :huh I somehow still managed 85 K this summer..
    Yes I am going back to the TLH this winter but on my own. I and a support vehicle. I am going to ride from Baie-Comeau to Blanc Sablons and back in 10 days. 3700 kms or so.
    I decided to opt out of riding with others on this. Not that I did not like last winter. It is the opposite. I was blessed with having super guys and they made the whole thing fun. Great riders and great men. Period!! I do not want to push the envelope with others in riding the whole thing with others. Meaning organizing the Trip?Tour.

But I ask riders to feel free to join me for the ride. But so far no takers:huh

Something very big is also in the works, But I can't tell...........yet:evil
    But it will be know in time. Other than that I am bouncing back from a few curve balls that life threw me and hanging on.

Hey!!! Any day above ground is a good day.

Talk to you soon.
    PS: Leaving Baie-comeau on the 9th or 10th of January. Leaving from the Comfort Inn on the main drag.

See you then perhaps???:freaky
  3. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    No sweat Ron!!:freaky
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    "Hey!!! Any day above ground is a good day."

Actually, I spend quite a few of my days underground! At least they aren't throwing dirt in my face!!
  5. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    To you all Canadian fellows...remember that driving a vehicule with no WINTER TIRES is illegal in Quebec from December 15th to March 15th since 2008.
  6. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Only if you live there. If you live somewhere else, and travel through PQ, then you are fine. Believe me! We know!!! We went through it last winter.:freaky
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    the TKC,s are winter rated as well
  8. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Sorry Paul...won't be joing you, even for the send off...I am doing all my cold weather riding now :rofl

I braved the elements here in the Peg last Friday when it dipped down to 0.5C... cold enough for me. Luckily it warmed to 18.5 when we arrived in Bottineau ND at noon, just in time for a cold ice cream... LOL

Have a great ride again this year.
  9. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Hej Paul,

I'm not done riding either!
    When are you taking off?
    i have the sameriding background in winter as you do, from 2 to 36 wheels, and doing the final assembly on big trucks in minus 50 (piggyback),
    Been riding on Continental twinduro's in snow and ice and really liked them, the Yamaha Super tenere i have is really great in these conditions, linear powerband from 1200 rpm. I'm currently in the NB area.
    iggy
  10. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You are a ways from me, but still is good to hear about another cold weather Rider. I am going across the Labrador Hwy this winter. 3700 of ice covered roads. I will be posting the dates soon. You look like someone who would fit right on an this ride. Check my site for the other stuff I did.
    http://paulmondor.com/site/forum/index.php?topic=3.0
    let me know if you would like to do something. You never know.

Cheers and do not let this snow and ice thing slow you down!:freaky
  11. kananaskis

kananaskis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soul lives in Rockies. Body is in Sarnia Ontario.
    As absolutely insane as I consider the whole ride to be I say good luck... One other thing to remember besides the fact that some places legally require snow tires etc for the winter months is the fact that a police officer could stop and cite/charge you for reckless or some other aspect of the HTA (Ontario) or other provincial highway act for not being safe. It could be considered dangerous driving or something if you were to be riding on a highway with ice or blizzard like conditions on a vehicle that is designed to be ridden in the summer months only...
    Even if you can argue or articulate that its a motor vehicle and that there is nothing in the regs to say it cannot be ridden in the winter, the ticket could still be written and forces you to return to that province/area if you wish to dispute it when the court date comes around...
    I am not an expert or anything in traffic law but I imagine that it would be hard to convince any sane person or judge that riding a motorcycle in the dead of winter with snow and ice on the road is safe or sane... hahaha
  12. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Lets just not argue here.I have been pulled over dozens of times in all provinces. Some times in blizzard conditions. nNd like the RCMP said in Woodstock New Brunswick "Shit I have to let you go"
    Anyway! For the fourth time for me?? It will be fun...

Have a good winter!
  13. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Hej Paul' will look at your website,

Labrador highway in winter would be awesome, i'll check your website and possibly we can meet somewhere's in QC, i'll pm
    iggy
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you are dropping in on the way through Paul...I'm not much further off the highwy than my old house was, just in a different town!
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Spam? You are still charging people to follow you down that road aren't you?
  16. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    No I am not! I am done with that.......... I was blessed last time with the guys I had with me,and do not want to push my luck again.
  17. Jakhack

Jakhack Jakhack

Oddometer:
    I used to ride year around in Northern Minnesota in the late 1970's and early 80's - when we used to have real winters. Not Canada, but still VERY cold at times. In fact, I rode year round for 2 1/2 years when we only had one car - and my wife got use of that one.

HOWEVER, it was always on a cycle with sidecar. I had a 78 Honda 750K with a Spirit of America Eagle sidecar and later a 1980 Suzuki 850G with a Velorex on it. With a sidecar, I think a coast to coast ride is feasible. They have enduro sidecars for even the lighter bikes like your beemer. With a sidecar, I did ride through a near blizzard on the way to Duluth one time, and had to go around jack knifed trucks and cars in the ditch. I had no trouble getting around them, and this was with regular tires on a single drive wheel. I was constantly amazed where I could go with these rigs. Any by the way I had much better vision than anyone else, even in the severely blowing snow. I was actually having fun and thought of it as a great adventure.

One other point, I always carried whatever I needed to make and take shelter in a snow cave, if necessary. I used to winter camp, and had experience making various snow shelters. If you don't know how, I would suggest you learn - practice in your backyard. It is a skill that could save your life in an emergency.

Anyway, it was VERY comfortable in a snow cave down to a minus 40 degrees F. It is surprising how protected and warm you can be in a snow cave, but it is a fact. Just ask a ruffed grouse! Most people don't believe it, but I once slept in a snow cave when it got down to -42 degrees F, and it was 52 F degrees inside the cave. I was laying inside on top of my sleeping bag reading a book in my underware and was comfortable. If you need some pointers on how to do this, let me know.

I remember my biggest problem, other than keeping warm, was keeping my helmet shield fog free. They did not have heated shields in those days, so maybe that is the answer. Then, I usually quit riding around zero degrees because I just could not keep my shield clear and that was using every chemical product I could find at the time. Also, the double shielded snowmobile helmets were better, but at least in some states, they are not legal for road use.

At this time, my son used to do ice riding with sheet metal screws in the tires. But even with those, he eventually gave it up - too many falls and no more room for black and blue bruises on his legs and arms. He was envious of the stability I got from using a sidecar.

One other thing I remember, was that even with heated gear, my hands still got cold and I eventually bought a set of "hippo hands" or insulated muffs for the grips. These worked great on the longer trips, and I would often put a hand warmer in there with my gloved paws and it was really quite comfortable.

I had no trouble starting the bikes because I used a maintainer battery charger to keep the battery warm and up to full charge every night. Both bikes started well - at least down to about -10 F degrees.

Final comment - lots of people thought I was nuts to ride around on a cycle and sidecar in the winter too. But I asked them if they thought the local banker was nuts when he went 70 MPH flying across a frozen lake on his snowmobile. Of course, that was normal behavior around here, so its just a matter of perspective and experience.

GOOD LUCK with your trip.
  18. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    All very good points and I am happy that you give me all these little tricks. But the trips are done. Made it Cape Spear an the next year made it to Goose Bay. Wrote two books about it. an there is some more coming.
    Check my site http://www.PaulMondor.com

Cheers

Stay in touch. I always love to hear about winter riding nuts like you and I.:freaky
  19. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    * off-season for old times sake bump *
  20. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Hey Hey!!!! How are you? Been a while.. Where are you
    at these days..Im not to far from you now. I'm in Fort Mac