Coast to coast in 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by goldenchild, Feb 21, 2008.

1. goldenchild

goldenchild soth

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I'm stuck in bed with the flu and find myslef daydreaming about doing a nice rad trip this summer - from NYC to the west coast and back.

Simply thinking out load, if I were to leave NYC and hightail it out west (nuthing but slab) to let's say northern California, then meander my way back east via Arizona, Utah, Colorado, then work my way towards Tennesse/NC to hit up "The Dragon" and surrounding area before heading north back home to NYC...

You think that's possible in only 2 weeks time?

EDIT: by "meander" I mean, all back roads of the twistys variety, stopping for pics, sightseeing, etc.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You already know the answer, right?
  3. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    great plan, you will have to keep on the go. It will still be an Adventure.
  4. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    I've got the same question. I want to ride from N.Cal to spend a few days with daughter and family in Virginia. How many days each way?
    Is 2 weeks enough?
  5. okbob51

okbob51 okbob

Oddometer:
    Do the math....it is roughly 3000 miles from coast to coast. If you travel 500 miles per day it will take you 6 days of riding each way. 2 weeks is pushing it......IMO you are going to be toast when you get there and toast when you get home.
  6. Serdar

Serdar Drifter

Oddometer:
    I once rode from Santa Barbara CA to Daytona FL and back in 3 weeks, visiting Canyonlands NP, Bryce Canyon, and Zion on the way. I thought it was too fast for comfort and enjoyment.
  7. Lefty52

Lefty52 Cork Dork

Oddometer:
    I'm going from Pittsfield, MA(Western MA) to Salem OR. in September. Traveling US Rt.20. The trip is 3000 miles and I giving myself 12 days(300 miles a day with time for sight seeing). I see no reason to drive X-country and not see any of it. I guess it's up to you what you want to get out of the trip:brow
  8. L1gunman

L1gunman Abner Snopes

Oddometer:

:nod

Yep, i agree. My suggestion would be to see about shipping the bike out west, fly out there to pick it up, and then ride back. or ride out there and ship back (actually, that would probably be easier. you could mail a lot of your gear back home to you, and it would make flying quite a bit easier. more expensive, but much more leisurely pace. )

sure, you can do it, but you get into a sort of mindset where you have to make a certain number of miles a day, and speaking just for myself, i dont find that relaxing. I like to have the leisure to stop and look at things, or just screw off
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    If you want a new bike, sell the one you have, buy something in WA/OR/CA and ride that one back taking two weeks for the whole thing. :evil

I also agree that two weeks to get C2C2C is too fast for seeing anything. Slabbing sucks no matter what. I guess if you were riding an LT or a GW you could pack on upwards of 800 miles a day on your way out, but on anything more sporting I doubt you could keep up that pace for long. I prefer to not go over 450 even slabbing. I'm 33 and on a sportbike I'm glad to get off it after the 450, but it leaves me fresh enough for the next day. I'm not a flower sniffer by any means, but I appreciate a slower distance pace than what you're proposing. I would by far prefer to make 300 miles of twisties ALL DAY and only get about 100 miles from where I started that morning.

How about, instead, you concentrate on a few states, like exploring the wonderful roads of WV, then VA, KY, TN, NC, and GA, or take that route with just a tiny bit less thoroughness and make it to AR, then turn around and take different roads all the way back?vv:thumbup
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, lessee... In '06 I left San Diego around 11:00 PM March 6th. Rode to Tybee Island, GA (about 25 miles east of Savannah, right on the Atlantic Ocean). Took a leisurely ride south to Jacksonville, FL after taking lots of photos around Tybee Island. Spent several days in JAX visiting with friends and taking more photos, then headed west again, wandering around to look at all the hurricane damage in the southeast. Continued to wander westward, zigging and zagging around in the Southwest, taking more photos, and back into southern California. Then up through California to Oregon, more photos along the way, visited friends there, then up to Wenatchee, WA to attend a wedding on March 19th.
    Yes, you should be able to do it without working up a sweat.