Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I am going to try and do a ride report as I make my way across the USA to the National BMWMOA Rally in Great Falls and then on to the Oregon coast from my home in Charlotte, NC. Hoping the use of smugmug will make posting photos easier and also hoping I have connectivity along the way.

To make this a true "coast to coast" ride I rode out to Wrightsville Beach last week and captured some NC beach sand and a photo. Will do the same when I get to the Oregon coast. I will be riding with one buddy out to Oregon and then solo on the way home. I am looking forward to both legs as it is nice to have a companion but also nice to have the solitude of riding solo and being alone with your thoughts and the road.

In addition to this being an epic ride for me I am also going to work on the Iron Butt National Park Challenge along the way .... hitting 50 NP sites across 25 states in a year. Figure this will give me a good start on getting to 50.

I will be on my trusty 2016 R1200RTW that has taken me to 30,000 great miles so far. And I will be hoteling / Moteling along the way. Route out will be more northern and the return will be a bit more southern through UT, CO, KS, MO etc. Average daily miles will be about 300 allowing time for the NP stops and visits to other POI's along the way.

As you can see I already got christened with some rain at Wrightsville Beach but you will also see there was a rainbow so hoping that was good luck :lol3 And I love Best Western hotels as they are truly very motorcycle friendly.

Heading out tomorrow with hopes of hitting New River Gorge NP and an overnight in Beckley WV then a short 200 mile day to Marietta, OH to meet up with Dennis on Tuesday.

Thanks for this wonderful site allowing to attempt to share my experiences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ejm4, Ikeya-Seki, lgb and 9 others like this.
  2. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice intro and pics.....I'm In!!
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Now I am motivated to keep this going :thumb

The cool thing about this site is even on the solo part of my rides you never feel like you are along.
    dano619 likes this.
  4. BadPoet

BadPoet Proper grammar is over-rated

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. Have fun.
  5. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following..........BW's are first choice!
    RTinNC likes this.
  6. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey Ed!

Well now, .................................. it looks like it's happening! :ricky

I'll be following along on your ride report.
    Ride safe and have fun!
    Maybe see you when you come back through CO ........................
    I'm blowing off the MOA shindig this year.
    I'm enjoying the smaller RA functions more these days.
    Rob
  7. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Utah gets you 10% of the NP's for this challenge. Let me know if you are coming through SLC, maybe I could tag along for some helmet therapy.
  8. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Staying in Sandy UT on July 4th! Yeah I still wonder who thought moving the MOA Rally to late June was a good idea and allowing up to share traveling around the 4th holiday. Am at the Best Western Cottonwood Inn. Stayed there for the 2017 Rally and it was a delight. Heading out on the 5th to meet friends about 45 min south of Sandy.
  9. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob! Yes coming thought the Colorful state. Plan is to head down 149 through Lake City and snagged 2 nights at Creede Snowshoe Lodge. It looks really neat and I was through Creede in 2014 but only for a coffee stop. Wife told me to take my time on this trip and enjoy the pretty places so I booked a "zero" day in Creede. From there will hit the Great Sand Dunes NP and then on to Garden City KS.
  10. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go get 'em Ed!
  11. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! That must be Joe. Thanks and will keep you posted on progress.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    My brother and step-dad go to the BMW rally every year and it always seems to be a battle of heat tolerance at one point or another and the temps this coming week in that area look to be oppressive. Not sure why they don't move the rally to the spring time when the weather is more agreeable. Anyway, thanks for posting your trip, following along.
  13. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! I may use this as a bookmark for places to see on my trip next year!
  14. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but I figure it's just summer so expect to be hot. But honestly the weather in Great Falls seems to be freaking crazy. I checked for the next 7 days and it had a low of 45 and high of like 98 !! Jeeesh. So I guess it's like going to Americade in Lake George NY first week in June ... expect anything from frost to swelter.
    ozmoses likes this.
  15. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok ....it looks like this may actually work thanks to my wonderful wife who gave me a crash course in iPad 101 last night. I’ve had this iPad Air for almost a year and never even took it out of the box. And then BAM I’m hooked.

Day one went real well with good weather. No real exciting roads but mostly interstate that had very little traffic and pretty scenery . Mostly I77 and West VA turnpike. Once you get north of Statesville NC on 77 it gets real pretty as you approach Fancy Gap and the Blue Ridge mountains. Jumped off 77 for a bit to get gas at a nonethanol station in RT. 100 then ran 100 all the way to I-81. My first stop was at a Love’s Truck Stop near the WV line. Nice place with a great selection of fresh fruit and such. When I pulled in I see about a dozen bikes mostly BMW. Hmmm .... wonder where they are headed? On of the riders approaches me and asks where I’m headed. I explain this is day 1 of a 30 day epic trip. Turns out they are riding with Jim Ford who runs Riders Workshop rider training. So Andrew introduces me to Jim and we get to chat for a bit before they head off to Burke’s Garden. How cool is that. After a refreshing snack and coffee I continue on to New River Gorge National Park. I get my obligatory stamp in my NP passport, take in the scenery of the gorge and famous bridge. Very nice park with lots of picnic tables. I make a note to return with Barb for a picnic and some hiking.

After the NP stop I my Nav6 to avoid highways and interstates and in 30 miles at my hotel, Country Inns & Suites in Beckley. It is just an OK hotel and not worth more than the $100 rate if even that. Bike gets cleaned up from bugs (did I mention I am a bit OCD about my bikes ) quick shower and then walk over to Cracker Barrel for a basic dinner. All in all a good day with temps no higher than 82 degrees.

all packed and ready to roll. I swear I take the same 2 photos before every trip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MrMac, ROAD DAMAGE and AppFan like this.
  16. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok day #2 in the books and this iPad is still working. Today was a short day just under 200 miles but it was either have one 500 mile day or a 300 and 200. But was a awesome day with perfect weather. Sunny with temps in low to mid 70’s and 90% backroads. Beckley to Marietta and must be “River” day as I ran along the New River and then the Ohio for almost 100 miles total .... or close to it. Yesterday at New River NP the ranger suggested I take RT.16 to RT.60 and run that all the way to Charleston. Said I’d see a couple of waterfalls along the way and that it was a road motorcycles like. He sure was right. I got an early start and with a short mile day I had time to kill so decided to ride through downtown Charleston, WV. I had not been downtown Charleston since the BMW rally was held there in 2003?? Or 2004. They really seem to be trying to give the downtown some life. I was almost ready to abandon my search for a coffee shop when I stumbled across the Capital Market. What a find!! They have everything from a butcher shop to a coffee shop. This is a return destination for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BigDogRaven, orv, ROAD DAMAGE and 3 others like this.
  18. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Oddly, Americade is scheduled for late September this year- so you can still expect anything from frost to swelter !
    ejm4 likes this.
  19. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
    Great report and photos so far Ed. We'll be watching and reading!
    RTinNC likes this.
  20. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding. And it’s funny they’re advertising the September date for Americade as being cool 70° days ha!