Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good evening. Day #3 was another gem with even more perfect weather. Woke up to 47 degrees in Marietta OH and we never saw temps higher than 78 degrees....unbelievable for this time of year. Hard to imagine we may be heading into some record heat ...Hope not. We started by riding about 25 miles and picking up RT. 555, the infamous “triple nickel” at in its beginning just outside of Parkersburg WV. We had a blast riding its entire length to Zanesville OH. Total distance is about 70 miles and if you’ve never ridden it it’s worth riding. Not what I would call super technical but lots of great curves and amazing “ whoop dee doos” many with blind rises so care needs to taken with your speed. Only issue all day was then a dump truck with a load small stones (Mike thought they were #1 stones) dumped about a 50 foot long layer of then right in out lane. We could not move into the oncoming lane as it was on the side of a rise. So we had to crawl through these marbles! Ugh! After finishing 555 we rode a combo of I-70 and secondary roads the 60 miles to the AMA Motorcycle Heritage Museum in Pinkerington, OH. What a nice facility ands great motorcycle museum, also worth the trip especially if you combine with riding 555. After spending a couple hours there we finished the remaining 60 miles to our hotel for the night on I-70 just outside of Dayton OH. Dinner was a short walk to Rudy’s Smokehouse for some BBQ. Another excellent day with perfect weather. Tomorrow we ride a short distance to Wright Patterson Air Force Base and the National Air Force Museum.
    HiJincs likes this.
  2. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HiJincs, staticPort and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  4. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok a bit late getting this posted yesterday was a late day. Day #4 was really good but not from a riding perspective. What made it good was the visit to the US Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. WOW! I had allocated about 3-4 hours but probably need twice that to really see all that is at the museum. Too many photos to post here so I have added them to them main Smugmug gallery for this trip. Tried to move them to a new gallery but having iPad issues. So feel free to check out the photos here
    https://edapelian.smugmug.com/2021-Coast-to-Coast-/n-q4vW5K/i-vSWqvCm

I have not had time to edit any of the photos so pardon the sloppiness.

We left the museum with only about 200 miles to get to our hotel in West Lafayette ID but it felt like 500 miles. Tried to make time on the interstate (I-70) which was awful with horrible road surface, trucks and heat. So opted to move to secondary roads which was fine until we hit a construction detour that took us 15 miles out of our way and put us on rough secondary roads. Finally got it I-69 which was smooth and got us to our hotel. Hampton Inn is in a nice area with lots of dinner options. We opted for Wolfies Grille and it great.

Today is one of our longer mile days about 430 miles with some interesting POI’s. Oh and looks like our weather luck has ended as temperatures yesterday hit 91 degrees and is already warm here today. And may hit some rain today as well. All part of the adventure though.
  5. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in. Looking forward to the rest of your trip. Ride safe
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our first hundred mile rest up for a stretch and a coffee. Just picked up an hour with the time change, and heading for lunch at maid rite which I’ve never had but continue to hear stories about
  7. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along. Seeing the XB70 at Wright-Patterson is on my short list of things to see.

As a Purdue alumni, I was curious about the Wolfie’s Grille. Turns out that it is in the same location as the now defunct Scotty’s Brewhouse. A lot of time and brews went by in that place!

Safe travels.

doc
  8. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wolfies was good! Honestly since we were staying across the street at the Hampton Inn it was the shortest walk and we were pretty beat. But food was very good and good beer choices. Would have gone to the Irish Pub a couple blocks farther since I was there before and it was very good but 2 blocks was just 2 to many :lol3. But having stayed in that area before I knew it was a good choice and the Hampton Inn was great and super MC friendly.
    rkover1 likes this.
  9. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK so believe this is day #5 and am on hotel REAL computer so a bit easier to navigate. Today was another GREAT day and one of our longest at 460 miles. But we had a time zone change and gained an hour so that helped. When we rolled at about 7:30 this am was raining lightly and looked pretty dark in the sky so just punched in Galesburg IL which was first stop and let NAV6 lady lead the way. She did very well too :D. Mostly highway but backroads took us to I-74 which was not very busy and had a good surface allowing us to make pretty good time. Rain was on and off but with temps in 70's we never even donned our raingear. Rain stopped but overcast skies kept temps comfortable most of the day. First stop was at Maid Rite in Galesburg, IL. What a neat place and looked VERY local. It appeared the women working there had been on the payroll for many years and were as friendly as your aunt. Everyone in the place was locak and you could hear discussions about "how's your family or how's your brother". We were obviously the outsiders but they treated us like family too. Got a Maid Rite and a Cheese Rite both the "Maid Rite way" with mustard, pickles and onions. I'll definitely stop again whenever I am near one. From there it was up to Iowa 80 aka the worlds largest truck stop in Wallcot, IA. If you've never been it is worth stopping at least once. The place is huge and can park 900 18-wheelers in the lot! Got a cold drink and Dennis got a snack and then we were off the the Herbert Hoover Library to snag me another National Park stamp. That was a quick stop and then had to boogy up to Matchstick Marvels which was 102 miles away and closed at 5:00. GPS said we be there at 4:30 and once again Nav6 lady nailed it. What an amazing place. Again worth the stop. https://www.matchstickmarvels.com/

Here is the Iowa 80 link.
    https://iowa80truckstop.com/

Will get some photos posted too .....

This was our first stretch / coffee stop of the say ... love when they have places to sit outside ... and pretty views to boot!
    [​IMG]
    What a cool home town place !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep in mind these are all made with tiny matchsticks! WTF?? who thinks of this stuff. The detail is amazing !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found my wife's next car :jack
    [​IMG]

And even met the owner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jbh

jbh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have fun. I will be heading to the rally too in a few days.
    RTinNC likes this.
  11. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So whats a Maid Rite?
  12. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the Hampton Inn. I”m still hoping to make my 50-state tour next year and I plan to spend a few days in West Lafayette. Thanks!

doc
  13. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maid Rite is a Midwest chain that specializes in these loose meat sandwiches. Think sloppy joe without the sauce.
  14. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good morning and happy Father’s Day from Grand Island Nebraska. Yesterday was Day number six and another great day albeit not an extremely exciting writing day. The plan was straightforward run from Marshaltown IA to Grand Island Nebraska. 50 miles of back roads God us to interstate 80 where we headed west. After about 60 miles on 80 we’re ready for a coffee and stretch stop. At that stop near Winterset Iowa I realized we were going to be close to Baxter Cycle. For anyone who may not know, Baxter cycle is a well-known Triumph dealer and has a huge vintage collection. Dennis was up for it so I mapped out a route off interstates. We ended up on something called white pole scenic byway. I asked somebody at the next app why they call it white pole and they didn’t know. It was however a great alternative to the interstate and goddess to Baxter cycle in Marne IA. Baxter cycle is the kind of motorcycle shop everybody wishes they had in their town. It’s truly a family owned dealer extremely friendly and seems focused on their customers and relationships versus just the bottom line. Everyone was extremely cordial and happy to chat with us. We spent a good hour checking out the bikes old and new and gear. Dennis picked up some gloves and some cleaner and I of course add it to my T-shirt collection. Oh and they happen to have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies right when we arrived just a little icing on the cake. From there we are back on the road and it was 1 o’clock with over 200 miles to make up. I planned on taking I 80 west of Lincoln Nebraska and then jumping off for secondary roads. However by the time we got to Lincoln I could see storm clouds for me so with 155 miles left we just stuck it out on the interstate and ended up getting to the hotel without getting wet. All in all another great day.

we had a storm blow through here last night but we awoke to bright sun and relatively cool temperatures. Today should be a much better day with absolutely no interstate highways and we are riding Highway, #2 also known as the sand hill scenic byway. I’ve been looking forward to riding this road since the very positive posts on the BMW MOA site.Will try and get some pictures posted as well Hope everyone has a great Father’s Day
    staticPort and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  15. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a Maid-Rite

[​IMG]
  16. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baxter Cycle .... worth the stop for any motorcycle enthusiast

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pitbull, BigDogRaven, Ks-Rydr and 3 others like this.
  18. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! You beat me to it. Thanks! Interesting story for sure
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good morning from Alliance, Nebraska. Yesterday was day seven I believe, and was once again another great day. Weather was really good with temperatures hovering in the mid to upper 70s most of the day sunny and dry. The only negative was it was pretty windy all the way from Grand Island Nebraska to Alliance. It blew us around pretty good but it wasn’t gusty so it wasn’t that scary kind of wind just annoying. Highway 2, Also known as the Sand Hills scenic byway, was very nice and worth experiencing especially as an alternative to any interstate. Not sure I like it Better then taking Highway 61 up from Ogallala. But it’s certainly a nice alternative And a great way to cross Nebraska.

I was happy my favorite lunch stop at the intersection of 61 and 2 what is still there Although it’s no longer cold That Spot but is now Panhandle Coop. But the cheeseburgers are just as good and a couple tables outside with a nice view. Can’t ask for much more on a motorcycle trip. Dennis and I Met a guy with South Carolina tags riding a GS at a gas stop about halfway across the scenic byway. Turns out he lives about 70 miles south of me and he tagalong with us through the wind To our lunch stop. His name is David he was a really friendly guy who I’m sure I’ll cross pass with again.

After lunch we continued another 60 or so miles to check out the famous Carhenge. Then on to our hotel only about 5 miles away which turned out to be a brand new Holiday Inn express. It was a relatively short day for us at just under 300 miles and we rolled into the hotel just before 4 o’clock. By the time I finished getting the bugs off the bike and cleaning it up another dozen or so BMWs had rolled in and a couple of Harleys. With no dining options within walking distance only choice was Pizza Hut so we ordered out set an a lobby where we spent a long time chatting with some guys from Texas and emptying a bottle of scotch that Dennis had picked up. I’m not a scotch drinker but Dennis said this was pretty good stuff and the price was about half what it should be, So at least for last night I was a scotch drinker:lol3so at least for last night I was scotch scotch drinker . By the time I hate it back to my room I’m pretty sure the bottle was empty at least from the way I feel this morning it probably was empty. But after a nice hot shower I’ll be ready to roll heading to Spearfish Canyon Lodge today and really looking forward to it. I’ll try and get some pictures posted and hopefully will continue keeping this updated.
  20. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer: