Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello from the chilly spearfish Canyon South Dakota. Woke up to 44° so this will be the first time I’ll use my heated vest and thankful that I was able to packet. Yesterday was a Nother great day pretty straightforward ride from alliance Nebraska to Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Stumbled across Wind Cave national Park, never heard of it but stopped in and got another stamp for my national Park challenge. Rose got more interesting as we got closer to Spearfish but we also saw increased traffic on the roads as we got closer to the tourist destinations in the area. Relatively short day of about 230 miles but was good to I have an easy one. Headed for Cody Wyoming today with a stop at Devils Tower which neither Dennis or I have ever seen. Will try and get some pictures posted
    staticPort likes this.
  2. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good morning from Cody Wyoming.

Before I recap yesterday’s ride just want to acknowledge that my posts do you have some grammatical errors and some AutoCorrect struggles. I try to catch them all but most of my posts I’m doing from Voice to text simply because that’s easiest way without a true keyboard. So apologies for any screw ups by iPhone lady

Yesterday was another amazing day and longer than normal at 405 miles. Temperature when we left spearfish Canyon Lodge was 44° in the first time I’ve had to use my heated vest but happy I had it along. Ironically later in the day we saw a 94° for a 50° swing. Leaving Spearfish I told Nav6 lady To direct us to Devils Tower and avoid interstates and she did an amazing job finding Highway 34 which was a true pleasure Scenic and lots of curves. We got to Devils Tower right at 9o’clock and happy we did. When we left about an hour later I counted 38 cars lined up waiting to enter typical of what we’ve been hearing about national Park crowds. Devils tower we took Highway 14 to Sheridan to meet friends for lunch at the cowboy Café, a great place to dine. Met a guy there who lives just off the Cherhala skyway. After lunch it was back roads on 14 and 14A up through bighorn mountains in the Big Horn Mountain skyway. I am always blown away by that ride 10% grades up and down in seeing me that’s unbelievable. Rolled into our hotel in Cody at about 630 so we were pretty beat. Found a great dining spot here the Cody steakhouse. But we continue to experience restaurants with Staffing in the first two restaurants couldn’t service just because of employee shortages. But ended up great with a great dinner. Off to Great Falls today Where will be until Sunday taking in the BMWMOA Rally. Didn’t get pictures posted yesterday but will try and get them done tonight.
    HiJincs and staticPort like this.
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much exciting to report today as it was a straight ride from Cody WY up to Great Falls. 340 windy miles with a few light rain sprinkles and moderate temperature in the 80's. Beautiful scenery thought all the way up.

One of the very cool things when a rally held in such a great riding area is we'd seen BMW's for the past 4 days at every gas and food stop. Lots of camaraderie and meeting folks from all over the US.

Best Western River Front is great so far and had a killer meal at Celtic Cowboy a few blocks away. And just realized don't believe I took one picture today.
    staticPort and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  4. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops check that I did take 2 photos when we were stopped for construction and my first selfie !! HA !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    staticPort, HiJincs and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  5. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some photos of Devils Tower and Big Horn Skyway and then Cody

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oldmanx, staticPort and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something we rarely see these days back east .... a real Service Station that actually does SERVICE! and has free air !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Downtown Cody with a cool moon !!

[​IMG]
  8. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the pictures from the Big Horns Ed!
    That's one of my regular day ride loops when I'm at the Beartooth Rally outside Red Lodge. It turns into quite the day when you pair that WY14 & 14A roads with Chief Joseph & Beartooth Passes.

As always, THANKS for taking us along.
    Maybe catch up to you in Creede.
    And send pics from the Rally if you're able ........... I'm thinking it's going to be PACKED.

And finally, text me if I won one of the sweepstakes bikes! :lol3
  9. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob! Yeah my late riding buddy Ron Hamlin introduced me to the Big Horn range back in 2015, been wanting to get back ever since.

Will definitely share rally photos. I agree it will be a busy rally with COVID pent up travel desire and great location.

would be great to meet in Creede
  10. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK back for a quick update. Rally was killer and had a blast. Vendors were good but a bit light. Nonetheless I was able to get everything I needed or wanted ... and some I did not know I needed. Stopped my LD Comfort for another pair of arm sleeves now in black and Glen at Clearwater gave me a killer deal on Ericas. I installed Darlas on my GS about 3 months ago but was going through "light envy" so when I found out I could swap the Darlas for Ericas just plug and play and when he gave me a price saving me like $200 I had to do it. Got to meet some great folks and see a lot of beautiful BMWs. Weather was also killer with mild temps and no rain other than one afternoon. I changed my oil and cleaned and detailed my bike .... yeah OCD for sure.

Oh and I made our group hit the Sip & Dip Lounge to see the mermaids! :lol3

The 4 nights we were there flew by and today had a short day to Missoula but an awesome ride on Rt.200. The scenery was amazing and while the road was not over twisty it was a great ride. Met a really nice Montana Highway Patrol Officer at our lunch stop. Temps today were mostly in 70's but hit 92 as we approached Missoula. So it seems the weather gods are still with us but we fear tomorrow we may hit the inferno on our way to Wala Wala, WA through Lolo Pass.

Oh and I guess I need to mention I won a BMW motorcycle in the Foundation Sweepstakes where they gave away 22 BMW's. I landed the 9nineT Pure :clap

Pics on the way !
    joenuclear, gasgas17, Oldmanx and 5 others like this.
  11. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BigDogRaven, HiJincs and staticPort like this.
  12. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oldmanx, pike, HiJincs and 3 others like this.
  13. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome rally. The fact that you won a motorcycle makes it just an incredible trip
    RTinNC likes this.
  14. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes for sure it was great.

Today we finally found the inferno that is hampering the Pacific Northwest. Had a great ride in spite of the heat. Left Missoula with temps in the 60's and headed up to Lolo Pass. After a stop at the visitors center we headed out on highway 12 through the pass. Temps dropped into the 50's and was great. Stopped for a late breakfast at Lowell and when we hit the road on our way to Walla Walla temps were in the low 90's and kept rising and ultimately we saw about 113 on the bikes. But honestly it was much less oppressive than we expected. We stopped every 70 or so miles and drank water and wet our gear. Got to the hotel in Walla Walla at 3:30 but what an awesome ride on highway 12 most al of the way. And about 70% of the time we were riding next to the river. How very cool with awesome scenery. Will get some pix posted.

Tomorrow we head for Mount Rainier and then to Morton for our lodging.
    HiJincs likes this.
  15. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bigger Al and HiJincs like this.
  16. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
    Great photos Ed! Loved all the vintage BMWs. And congrats on the bike win. Confused though, it looks like the Darlas still on your RT. Didn't you swap them out for the Ericas?
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    no .... Ericas are going on my GS. I like the smaller Darlas on the RT. Glen is shipping them to me:thumb
  18. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK ... fully recovered from the inferno and hope that is the last I see of that crazy heat. Rolled out of Walla Walla and on up to Mount Rainier. Temps hit 103 but dropped to about 93 when we got up to Rainier. Met some BMW folks along the way at a neat rest / snack stop. They are 2-up and camping from Arizona on a 700GS. Boy I was impressed with that bike. Rainier was neat but was a tiring day as photos ops are killers .... getting off the bike, off the helmet, take the photos, back on the gear and on the bike then do it again in 5 miles. That made for a long tiring day but worth is. Stayed at Seasons Motel in Morton WA where I stayed in 2015. Was still pretty good and good thing we planned ahead as the were sold out but we found that in a lot of places. Walked to a local bar called Papa Bears for dinner and it was Taco Tuesday so tacos it was.! :thumb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw signs like this around the coast of WA and OR .... that would worry me that they feel the need to warn about tsunamis :eek7

[​IMG]
  20. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we left Morton relatively early again, around 7:15 (yeah I know that is not really THAT early) and headed for the coast. Since the Seasons Motel offered a pretty "rough" carry out breakfast bag we were on the hunt for breakfast after about 50 or 70 miles so decided Raymond WA looked like a good place to search out some food. Most of the GPS restaurants were closed but were were directed to the Corner Cafe in town. After parking and getting out of our gear we discovered it too was closed for vacation. But there was an "interesting looking" local guy leaning against his car listening / watching something on his phone so I said "excuse me" .... no response ..... then again "EXCUSE ME " and nothing not even a look. WTF? Then an older woman pulled up and parked and we asked her for a suggestion for breakfast and she said her church group just goes to McDonald's. But she too saw the "phone guy" and said excuse me sir and again nada! :baldy So off to McDonalds we went. We get there, park and off our gear again and as we are walking in I see the somewhat large female manager hanging a sign outside and ask "are you open for dine in"? She barks out "drive in only". And then I replied that will not work as we are on motorcycles (which were parked 20 feet from her) and she then barks "motorcycles can go through the drive in too" .... :hair so I then ask how she might suggest we drink our coffee and eat our breakfast while on the motorcycles? Her response was "oh" . I then asked if she watched the news and heard that the state of Washington was now fully opened. She mumbled something about Corporate policy. Once again another reason I am not a fan of the state of Washington. This was after an incident the day before at a gas station where I asked if I needed to prepay for the non-ethanol gas and was asked if I had a gas can? No I said I have a motorcycle and was then told I needed a gas can. WHAT??? Told her we had bought it before in the state and was never told that. She said "it's the "rule" OK then! Oh and then when we gassed up with regular 10% ethanol premium and were in getting a cold drink she asked if we would like some tomato plants as she had extras. Um ..... we are still on motorcycles.

OK ... enough venting about why I dislike Washington ..... we continued on to the coast and in the town of South Bend found a great breakfast place on the water. Excellent bagel sandwich and coffee both with a view ! Oh and got to see the Worlds Largest Oyster. Now THAT was worth the trip for sure. After breakfast we continued on along the coast to Astoria, OR.

I have never been to Astoria before but thought is was a pretty neat town or probably a city as it was pretty busy with traffic. We got gas and then headed for the Lewis & Clark NP for a NP stamp in our NP Passports. Well that is when I discovered that Astoria is one dang hilly town! GPS took us up 10th Street to get to the NP and holy crap I have never ever been on anything close to that steep. San Francisco has nothing on Astoria. I could actually feel the RT pulling hard in 1st gear to get up what had to be a 15% grade or more! We found the NP and then headed to Vernonia where were spending the night at a little mom & pop motel called the Caden Inn. Turned out to be a great place and for $110 including tax. Dennis and I cleaned the bugs off the bikes, got showered and headed to town which was a block away. After asking a few folks where to dine we opted for the local Mexican place but not until we sampled a few local brews at the Iron Gate Bar. All in all a good day even with the cranky Washington folks.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]