Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    This work of art was next to the Caden Inn in Vernonia

[​IMG]
    HiJincs likes this.
  2. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Downtown Vernonia

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    staticPort and HiJincs like this.
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah .... we met an old friend of mine in Vernonia and she brought us each a VooDoo donut ! Oh my lord was it good .... only at 1/2 but it has cinnamon inside, chocolate and peanut butter on top along with chocolate chips and nuts! This would easily feed four adults!

[​IMG]
    HiJincs likes this.
  4. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today we rode to Cannon Beach for breakfast after leaving Vernonia. Will update later or tomorrow.
    HiJincs likes this.
  5. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK ... tried to post an update last night but had 'puter issues :baldy

So on Thursday we checked out of the Caden Inn in Vernonia OR and headed to Cannon Beach in light rain and 60 degree temps. But was no worse than 113 degrees in Walla Walla. Found a great breakfast spot and enjoyed breakfast in Cannon Beach .... at Cannon Beach prices of course. :patch But most importantly I got to the BEACH! Yep ... my true "coast-to-coast" ride was complete. After breakfast Dennis and I headed south on highway 101. Made a stop at Tillamook factory to pick up some snacks and then continued on to Newport were we turned east. At 2:23 PM PDT Dennis and I parted ways .... he heading south to Crater Lake and SFO and me east to Sandy UT and then making my way back to Charlotte. It was actually kind of a sad time for me as Dennis has been a great riding companion .... and considering we had only met once for 3 days at Americade in 2019 it was a nice surprise. I am sure we will ride together again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Friday my day was a ride from Albany, OR to Baker City, OR and about 330 miles. The ride was surprisingly nice with lots of curves and interesting roads and scenery. Stopped in Sisters OR about 100 miles out for coffee and a stretch. WOW ... what a busy little upscale town in the middle of the state. Too crazy busy for me with too many "poor little rich kids" running around so I got moving as soon as I could. The rest of the day was a nice ride with scenery that at times looked like the moon. All in all uneventful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sunrise in Albany OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday was one of my favorite rides from Baker City to Mountain Home, ID up highway 86 and then on 71 along the Snake River. You leave Baker City on 86 and ride through beautiful farm country and past the town of Halfway. Then you begin to rise toward Hells Canyon and into the Sawtooth Range. It is a ride that my late riding buddy Ron Hamlin showed me and I have wanted to redo it since 2015. Mandatory stop at Scotty's and then along the Snake. Temps were moderate with maximum in the low 90's which for me is very ridable.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    twowings, staticPort, HiJincs and 2 others like this.
  8. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    So today is Sunday July 4th and am a little bummed to not be home for the 4th, but I blame the MOA for moving the dang Rally date to June. But today was a good day and although 75% interstate I got an early start with cool temps and extremely light traffic on I-84. Made great time with few trucks and landed 3 National Park sites for my NP Challenge. The most interesting was the Golden Spike at Promontory Point. Very cool and even neater I stumbled across a Northrop-Grumman NASA facility in the middle of no where and I do mean NO WHERE! And it was a HUGE facility. It felt like area "52" or "53" :lol3 and on my way into the Golden Spike site I hit about 5 miles of grasshoppers !! Like dive bombers! WTF? One tried to hitch a ride but did not make the trip! 350 miles and only the last 50 were hot when I got close to Sandy and Salt Lake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

u coming to waynesville?
  10. red bud

Oddometer:

we spent a couple of days at snowshoe lodge a few years ago good people
  11. red bud

Oddometer:
    cool report thanks
    RTinNC likes this.
  12. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats good to hear

met a couple in Grand Island who were from Pueblo and said the same. And looking forward to hitting Coffee on the Fly
  13. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey if Road Damage makes it to Waynesville I’ll try really hard to show if even for one day
  14. red bud

Oddometer:

some pretty awesome breakfast too

we rented a 4 wheeler and did some riding too

the bachlor loop is a good gravel road if you stay on the main part, going past the first mine is the worst part

pretty decent bar called tommyknocker i think it was
  15. red bud

Oddometer:

thats what i was thinking, pretty sure i owe him a beer
  16. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waynesville, NC?
    I've ridden further for a beer ........................................ :lol3
    I don't think I see myself getting that far east this summer.

Nice trip Ed!
    I'm enjoying following along on your cross country adventure.
    I'm riding up to Jackson tomorrow to visit some vacationing family.
    What were your dates to be in Creede?

RD
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Green River UT tonight and tomorrow then on to Creede Wednesday and Thursday
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  18. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you staying at The Robbers Roost?
    Having a burger at Ray's Tavern?
    Ray's used to sport one of my original ROAD DAMAGE stickers right behind the cash register. :evil
    I wonder if it's still there? :hmmmmm
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am staying at the snowsho lodge And since I have one through zero day there to just hang out I’ll be glad to check out Ray’s Tavern for your sticker. Hell if I had one long with me I’d stick another one up
  20. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today is my “zero day“ as my wife refers to it in Green River Utah. I’m very happy she suggested taking one or two days like this to just chill out with no schedule. I may take a short ride and check out Utah route 128 along the Colorado River then into Moab. Before the daily heat hits.

Yesterday was a pretty good day, started out meeting a former colleague from Wells Fargo who retired before me and moved to the Salt Lake area. She and her husband are both Harley riders so we met for breakfast and then they rode about 60 miles with me on my way to Green River Utah. That part of the ride was really good on highway six through Price Canyon. Was a relatively short day with 170 miles to get to Green River. Got to green river early at about 2 o’clock and fortunately was able to check into my hotel. Being there so early I thought I would try and get at least one of the national parks yesterday afternoon. So I headed out toward Moab but there were storm clouds all around and the dang wind was getting really nasty. I got to canyonlands national Park and forgot once you turn in on the park Road it’s actually 25 more miles to the gate. During the 25 more miles the winds picked up even more and skies are getting dark. Made it to the gate and the visitor center, got My passport stamp and photo and got the heck out of there. I figured at this point I might as well try and get Arches done as well so when I got to the exit of canyon lands turned right toward Moab and arches is only a few miles down the road. But arches was a bit busier with about 10 cars waiting at the gate and it was getting hotter. Got into the visitor center and finally got my Passport stamp after an annoying situation with the Rangers, but that’s a longer story. The park was too crowded with too many annoying families and skies still threatening so I decided to just head back the 60 or so miles to my hotel. All in all a good day totaling about 300 miles and getting two more national park stamps. Never did rain!

Making today truly a zero day with nothing planned. I’ll try and get some pictures posted Later this afternoon.

Have a great day and stay cool!
    staticPort likes this.