Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a new friend at dinner
    [​IMG]
    Gifts from friends also on the road from Great Falls left for me when they stayed at same hotel in Gree River
    [​IMG]
    staticPort, HiJincs and terryckdbf like this.
  2. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your trip and especially your photos! BTW, it looks like that dog is growling at you.
    Oznay likes this.
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny I thought the same after I posted the photo but she really was a sweetheart.
  4. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Colorado today and nice cool temps.
  5. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

i was there a month ago and missed out on rays :baldy
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok so I could not find “Rays”? Is it in Creede or Lake City. Came through Lake City and tried to stop fir a cold drink but the place was a zoo! 15 minutes to order an ice cream cone. WTF?

Snowshoe Lodge in Creede rocks and as noted breakfast was killer! Sausage and egg casserole, blueberry pancake casserole, homemade pecan rolls, homemade cinnamon buns fresh strawberries and watermelon, juice and coffee. Bam!

And I love Creede .... it appears Kip’s is the place to dine
    terryckdbf likes this.
  7. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was the last group of vehicles they allowed through construction on Highway 50 before they shut it down totally at 1:30 PM. So so happy I made that as the Plan B route would’ve added hours to my trip. But was able to get to Highway 149 and what a great hundred mile ride that was Through Lake City and onto Creede and over slumgullion pass at 11,530 ft.

I was also able to pick up Colorado national Monument and Black Canyon of the Gunnison for my national Park challenge. I was very fascinated at how once you cross the Utah Colorado state line the landscape, weather, environment immediately changes. Temperatures cool down to low 80s and landscape started to become green rather than red and brown plateau. And I also immediately saw scattered houses and more development
    terryckdbf and staticPort like this.
  8. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures coming
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

Rays is in green river
  10. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno Now you tell me. Not much in Green River UT.

But I am enjoying Creede :beer
    red bud likes this.
  11. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
    Looking at the prior page, I must have missed the visit to the beach and your RT caught in some light that gave it a great patina. Maybe a new color option for BMW? Congrats on making it to the coast; ride safely home.
    terryckdbf likes this.
  13. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy! Yesterday was the 1/2 day I dread the most .... crossing eastern Colorado. Was happy to finally cross into Kansas and get to my hotel in Garden City. It was one of my longest days at 405 miles and included a negative time zone change. Was lovely 49 degrees when I left Creede (my new favorite town!!). Had an easy 100 mile ride on CO149 that is a wonderful road its entire length to Great Sand Dunes National Park. Snagged my passport stamp and photo and was off. This was the first of ANY park locations that was still doing the arcane limiting of folks into the visitors center / gift shop. They were allowing something like 10 people and I saw about a dozen waiting outside. They also suggest no more than 10 minutes inside. Doing the quick math this looked like an hour wait and nothing inside was worth that much time so off I headed. Have some more POI's yesterday and more update but have to hit the road but since today is a relatively short 270 mile day I should be able to provide a better update this evening with photos.

Have a great Saturday!
    staticPort and terryckdbf like this.
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love travel on a good sport tourer like this. Thanks for sharing your trip and pics!
  15. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My pleasure and makes me feel like folks are riding along.
    staticPort and terryckdbf like this.
  16. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just another old RT rider who is enjoying this ride ...
    RTinNC likes this.
  17. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK so trying to catch up a bit here.... first I have to say I absolutely loved my 2 nights in Creede. That is without a doubt my new favorite town! In addition the Snowshoe lodge was awesome and Jennifer and her husband do an amazing job of making you feel right at home not to mention the killer breakfasts. Ate at Kip's twice and would go back again. The food and atmosphere was great and Kip is a hoot. So yesterday I stayed in Green River that the absolute nicest Best Western I have ever seen .... the room had 16' ceiling and had 2 ceiling fans! What hotel has ceiling fans in the rooms .... and better yet it had a bar in the lobby! Go figure . I stayed at this one back in 2017 but forgot how nice it was. The ride across eastern Colorado was uneventful and hot and boring until I got into Kansas. In Kansas the landscape turned greener and nicely manicured farms. At my last stretch and water stop at about 4 miles from the Kansas state line I met Jerry Weber. Jerry is a local who is in the business of hauling water to drilling sites and other heavy equipment type jobs. Jerry was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis and in 2018 had double lung transplant! But get this .... his doctor offered to put him in disability and Jerry said NO WAY ..."I don't want anything for free and like to work" I just want to go back to work. THIS is a great American! Rolled into the hotel late at close to 6:00.Long day but a good one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are there any fans of the Chevy Chase movie Vacation? Well then you remember Cousin Eddie. BUT ... do you know where cousin Eddie was from? Where he lived ?

[​IMG]

Yep Coolidge Kansas!

[​IMG]
    HiJincs, terryckdbf, AppFan and 2 others like this.
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also .... I always wanted to visit Holcomb, KS the site of the "In Cold Blood" murders.

[​IMG]
  20. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's all I have the energy for tonight. More tomorrow when I should be in Springfield MO !! Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.
    HiJincs, terryckdbf and staticPort like this.