Coast to Coast in 2021 and MOA Rally in Great Falls!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RTinNC, Jun 13, 2021.

1. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW ...WOW ...WOW ...I can't believe this is my last night on the road. I've always said on trips like this time flies! But then at is true for life in general.

Will post some of the trip stats when I get home and can organize stuff but will be about 8400 miles and 32 total days or about 28 riding days. I am in Knoxville, TN tonight at the Crowne Plaza downtown. This is a place we frequent as it makes a great first or last night on the road from Charlotte when heading west. We discovered this place back when the Honda Hoot was held here in Knoxville. Great hotel location, secure parking garage and walk to tons of restaurants. Tomorrow will be a straight shot home with probably one stop for late breakfast of lunch.

So I guess I need to fill in on some days i.e. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Sunday was great and one of the most memorable. I left El Dorado KS with my first stop being the Beaumont Hotel in Beaumont KS.

http://beaumonthotelks.com/

http://beaumonthotelks.com/services-amenities/

I had been wanting to stop at this place since 2017 when I heard about it. It just sounded really neat and it was even better than expected. I got there around 9:30 and sat at the counter next to 2 other guys. I was not really hungry so ordered coffee and homemade cinnamon roll. Both were great! While sitting there I hear the guy sitting next to me make a comment about not being able to get a "hard roll with butter". WHAT? That is a very NY/NJ thing for sure. SO i ask if he's from NY and he says yes ... Long Island. WOW ... never thought I would find a New York guy here in Beaumont KS! The fellow he is with is Craig, a local born and raised, but I could see he and Jay were good friends. Well the conversation began and soon we 3 were sharing stories. Jay had moved to Beaumont about a year earlier after his wife passed away and to live near his son. Craig was a local who just was the kind of guy who helped folks out especially those recently moving to the area. Craig could see my interest in the area and the local farming community. Well pretty soon Craig says "Ed if you have 30 minutes or so I can show you some stuff" . WHAT? Heck yeah I'm in! So we climb into Craig's pickup and Jay follows in his convertible. We head down a few unpaved roads and to his property. First thing I see are 2 pretty horses running toward the pickup, Craig says they know dad's here. Amazing they are just like dogs when you get home. We spend an hour showing me his barn he built, the little cottage/shed he built and telling me about the history of the property. What a blast. Then Jay drives me back to my bike in Craig's '74 CJ5 very much M*A*S*H style. We could not find Hot Lips though! This kind of stuff only happens when you are riding solo on a motorcycle. What a cool day and wonderful memory!

Here are some pics ....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK ... so from Beaumont I headed to Coffeyville for visit my long time riding buddy and great friend Ron Hamlin who is laid to rest in Coffeyville. The storm clouds were building all around and I thought I got lucky. I visit Ron and we had a good conversation. When I left headed east the nasty dark stuff was behind me ... or so I thought. For the first time on this trip I donned my raingear ... and good thing as about 30 miles down the road I got hammered with a storm cell and it came down in buckets. But survived it and the next 2 that I ran into on my way to Springfield MO. Finally rolled into the Hampton Inn around 5:00 only to be told I was at the wrong Hampton! UGH! So back on the bike for another 6 miles of stop and go traffic lights!

In the attached photo you will see 4 small bottles of Gentleman Jack as that was Ron's beverage of choice. Last year I rode out to visit him along with my buddies Don and Doug and we each left a bottle. When I returned a year later they were still there !! This is not the first time this has happened. I believe once they survived 2 years there. So this year I added another making the 4.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know I missed a couple days at the end of my trip and will back fill in a day or so but for now just want to say

WOW ... just can't believe my epic trip is over and I am back home. It truly was epic ....
    32 days total
    28 actual riding days
    8,013 total miles (does not include the 400 miles to NC Beach)
    20 states covered
    100's of wonderful memories
    Hottest temp was 113 degrees in Walla Walla, WA
    Coldest temp was 44 degrees leaving Spearfish Canyon
    Highest altitude ridden was about 11,600 ft I beleive over Slumgullion Pass in Colorado
    Most tense moment riding ... probably the nasty storm cell I rode through in Kansas and also the NP Road leading up to the Colorado National Monument (steep switchbacks and no guardrails)
    One new BMW motorcycle won in the MOA Foundation Sweepstakes
    Over $8000 raised for the Ride for Kids and growing!
    Only 2 days of rain and only one day that I actually had to use my rain gear
    Highest price paid for gas was $5 / gallon for non-ethanol in Ohio
    3 new t-shirts added to my collection
    Have not calculated the number of National Park Sites I snagged for my National Park Challenge but suspect it is over 30.
    Thanks to everyone for your support, comments and notes. It really made the trip even more fun. The 2016 BMW RT ran like a champ and never missed a beat even in the extreme temps. Never burned a drop of oil and made it easily on one set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires. One of the best Long Distance motorcycles I have ever owned.
    I would be remiss if I did not send a huge thank you to Dennis Lohouse my riding companion all the way out to Oregon. We had a blast and Dennis was a pleasure to travel with.
    It was great to see some old friends in Great Falls .... Jamie & Gayla and Doug & Helene. And made some new friends as well.
    Am I sore from riding ... not at all. Would I do it again? In a heart beat! Already planning the 2022 trip to the BMW MOA Rally in Springfield MO.

[​IMG]
  4. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="
    [​IMG]
    Is this Creede? Looks fantastic

hi from NZ :wave

loving the report

S
  5. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes .... that's Creede and it really is a fantastic little town. I am hoping to make a return trip there with my wife for some hiking and exploring.
    Shaggie likes this.
  6. lgb

lgb lgb Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along! A real pleasure. :clap
  7. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank YOU for coming along !
  8. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer: