Coast to Coast Monsters and Movies on a Dyna and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Swilling, May 30, 2018.

1. Swilling

Swilling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been trying to get a good chunk of time off from my Work for years, the last couple of summers have always been met with the project extending or being pushed (usually by a week or two at a time) to the point the summer disappears and I’m up to my eyes in the next job with no escape in sight.

February : I was guaranteed 5 weeks off starting in June. I didn’t believe it but I wasn’t going to question it. I went out and bought a bike that week. Now where to go?

The Goal : Ride to The Arnold Schwarzenegger Museum in Thal Austria and get a T-shirt. - I haven’t looked up any information or pictures on it, just have the address written down. ( maybe they don’t even sell t-shirts?)

I leave San Francisco on the 8th (next Friday) I have about 20 Days to ride and camp my way to Montreal stopping to see my favorite movie locations and maybe a couple Cryptid Monster legends. then fly to Paris on the 29th. 11 Days in Europe, France, Switzerland, Austria (pick up new t shirt) then turn around and head back to Paris.- Then fly to Vancouver and down the West Coast.

Never done a trip like this before, but that’s what makes it exciting for me.

Here’s the bike upon delivery.
    [​IMG]

Did a few things to the bike in preparation - usual stuff , exhaust, ecu , bars.

[​IMG]

Last week has been packing and organizing when I can and final prep on the bike - working insane hours does not help but no real option, so down to half a day per week where I can prepare. All the usual maintenance and setup some usb /12v charging

[​IMG]

Got a sissy bar and fabbed a couple of brackets and tabs to help my luggage, this was the point where my dog really could tell something was up - they really do know.
    [​IMG]

Sunday rolled around and final packing - and check. Passport renewed motorcycle green card insurance for EU. Everything else is squared away. Now I’m at the point Whatever i forgot, either do without or acquire on the road.
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer -Yes - the 1911 is not coming all the way I have already organized an FFL to handle the safe legal transfer of it back here.

Enter - the Pink Backpack - My workmates surprised me with this “sealed” bag and said I must take it on my trip - I can not open it until I get to The Flint River in Jonesboro Georgia - this is a location I plan on Visiting since it’s where the famous Bridge Jump was filmed in Smokey and the Bandit. One of my favorite movies. They said “there’s further instructions inside” I love these guys. They they know me well.

I’m 36 years old, dual American/Australian citizen - moved to America 11 years ago, taking a chance of chasing a career. I love Movies, Restoring Muscle Cars and legends of American Cryptids/Creatures/Monsters.

My time on the road will be spend visiting locations from my favorite movies, American Monsters and Legends and some friends and family.

Will try and update this thread daily once I hit the road. The trip may seem ambitious but I’m ignorant enough to think it’s all gonna go just fine.

8 days till lift off, and the bike couldn’t be more ready.
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Swilling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have kept your Aussie sense of humor this will be fun. :D
    DuaKembara, bobw and Swilling like this.
  3. haggis mctavish

haggis mctavish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi swilling, I am a pommy been in Aussie 30 years but am still British because I remember the days of the British empire with fondness. Also I was too lazy to become an Aussie. I had to reread your post to get my head around your destination. can you please advise us of your transport arrangements and how they go, I am guessing the air Canada scheme? Also it looks like you've shortened those exhausts? Im not sure if that's the best option, I think you will find the EU are not the biggest fans of non conformity, especially things mechanical. I would hate to see your trip spoiled with delays caused by your noisy? exhausts upsetting offialdom.

good luck!
    Swilling and Throttlemeister like this.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell of a plan! Lots of moving a bike around the big pond. Sounds like you are long overdue on getting out on a big ride, hope all goes according to plan. Word of advice don’t ever re-inact that cornfield scene, it’s fun as hell but ends up causing lots of grief, lol nice car btw
    Swilling likes this.
  5. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Ha right on mate - yeah lots of mates and their familys from back home i know also, did the same as you. Correct, will be flying Montreal to Paris - Paris to Vancouver - Fly Your Bike program. Hopefully tomorrow i can call and actually purchase the ticket - since they only let you 30 days in Advance. - The pipes do look short but they still have baffles - i have a set of "quiet" baffles from the manufacturer that are installed - so we'll see! appreciate the concern!

Haha Great advice - sounds like you know this from Experience LOL! - Thanks, the car is a blast, i do love Old Poncho's. Cheers
  6. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    What cornfield scene? :scratch
  7. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Easily confused with the movie SlapShot - as thats about the only Trans Am Cornfield scene i can think of.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Swilling likes this.
  9. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    Swilling likes this.
  10. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind the question, what does that cost? Also does the program handle the customs in and out of Europe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Swilling likes this.
  11. Swilling

Oddometer:
    No problem at all! - Air Canada booked me in at 1100 cad for Montreal to Paris - about 150 Cad for Dangerous goods certificate that I can get from multiple places by the Airport. And apparently around 90 euros terminal fee when I pick the bike up on the other side. Was advised to get two copies of the Dangerous goods cert. that way I can use the other one on my return flight when coming back. And eliminates the process before my return flight.

My flight is in the evening - they said get there 3 hours before but that seems tight even though I consider myself quite careless about schedules and timelines. So I’ll probably arrive much earlier in the morning to be sure.

So far it couldn’t seem easier. But maybe that’s my ignorance once again.

Holyshit - I’m leaving in 4 Days!!!
    Ginger Beard, bobw and Zencyl like this.
  12. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right on Dude!! :thumbup

Happy Travels!! :pynd

:lurk:lurk:lurk
    Swilling likes this.
  13. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Day 1 : off and out by 7am!

Nope actually got down the driveway around 8:45 - classic. A cool 2 hours behind. But the reality of It is. No schedule, no destination , no time restraints.....No Problem!!

I recently acquired a new girlfriend and she’s been more than supportive of my trip. Also made me feel comfortable about leaving my pooch in good hands. We said our goodbyes and she assured me to just have fun and not worry about anything at home and just focus on enjoying the adventure - I’ll take it!
    [​IMG]

She even got me a going away cake
    Extra points for the Alien crew. A nice touch! I’m truly blessed to have friends and family who are just as excited for my trip as I am.
    [​IMG]

And the morning comes with a Last goodbye
    [​IMG]

About 15 miles away from home I pulled over to just absorb that it was actually happening - I commute along this road so it’s nothing new right? I’ve driven it literally thousands of times. Yet, every fence, every tree, everything just seemed deserving of a picture - funny how you se different things when you have a different when you’re not glazed over with work thoughts
    [​IMG]

I hit the slab for about 70 miles trying to finally get to highway 50 - we have an inside joke at work regarding The Nut Tree in Vacaville- so I couldn’t resist stopping - I sent this picture off to a bunch of friends from work, and they were all cracking up.
    [​IMG]

Finally hit 50 and really enjoyed it, took some side roads just for kicks and found a couple river small bridges back and forth
    [​IMG]

50 was great so far, still s but cold, I’ve been craving some heat. Stopped and Gassed up in South Lake Taho
    [​IMG]

This must have been the first round-a-bout I’ve seen in California
    [​IMG]

I hit Fallon Nevada about 5:30 and cruised around looking for camping this Jet was just on the outskirts of town.
    [​IMG]

scoped the camp ground and regrettably paid 15 bucks for s powered site instead of 5 - won’t be doing that again since I been cycling charging everything while riding so no real need. Once I knew where I was gonna set up i rolled back into town to look for some food - settled on this place
    [​IMG]

I hate to sound like some kinda asshole but it just really all just tasted like salt - this seems to be the theme with all Mexican/texmex food I’ve had across the south west. I’d love to be proved wrong someday.
    [​IMG]

Back to theFair grounds and setup camp - an early night!
    [​IMG]

Day 1 : 303 miles
    Spent $93 - could’ve spent half that if I didn’t eat that salt bomb and had to buy some whiskey for my flask.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great start... subscribed...
    Swilling likes this.
  15. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Day 2 :Nevada

I woke up at 4:30. Couldn’t get back to sleep so by 5:30 I was out packing and ready to roll by 6am, perfect.
    [​IMG]

I stumbled across this coffee place just by the gas station before heading out of town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ordered a coffee and decided to hit the porch for a minute [​IMG]

Within minutes this dude rolls yo and introduces himself. He’s the owner - Butch. We bullshitted for a few minutes about bikes and riding, he just opened this place 3 months ago, and said it’s been going great m. Awesome little place. I was about to head out when this other dude takes a seat and we start chatting.

[​IMG]

He was a cop in the next town over, retired 10 years ago and now has his own brewery and just seemed more content with life than ever, we talked about everything from bikes to the Tesla factory up on 80. Most of his police work he admitted in the area was helping catch live stock. One of his first jobs was after s bunch of cattle were found on the highway, he was given a huge phone book sized book with all the local bran-dings and had to find the matching brand from the cattle. This dude was a class act, I hope I’ll be as content with life at some point.

While I do feel bad I already forgot your name, I certainly will it forget our conversation.

Almost an hour later! It was time to gas up and hit the road!

some dude at the pump asked me about my trip and mentioned he had some Yamaha’s. Just as I fired up he came out of the store and offered me a can of energy drink - like a dickhead I said no thanks I’m good. I just didn’t even register that he’d actually purchased this for me. Since he had two. Why didn’t I say yes... I really feel like an asshole. Thank you kind sir, I certainly appreciated the offer. But I just was on auto pilot with my response. This bummed me out s lot more than it should have. So strange.
    [​IMG]

Good morning highway 50 Nevada! Aren’t you just looking so fine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to be continued - UTAH awaits me.
    Cheers
  16. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    Great start!
    Swilling likes this.
  17. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :*sip*:lurk:super
    Swilling likes this.
  18. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great start, good luck with it and let us know how the fly your bike program goes.

Josh and Stef
    Swilling likes this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Tagged.
    Swilling likes this.
  20. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    In! Great choice of motorcycles and it's a shame HD went backwards (IMO) with the new "soft tail Low Rider". Anyways, looks like your hard work is paying off and bonus points for having a great lady and fantastic pup to return to! Every trip I find as much as I love the sights, it is all the little visits with folks met along the way that are the icing on the cake and they renew my faith in people. Enjoy and safe travels!!

Cheers