Coast to Coast Monsters and Movies on a Dyna and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Swilling, May 30, 2018.

1. Five of Clubs

Five of Clubs n00b

Oddometer:
    I just have to say that you've got a terrific attitude for trans-continental motorcycle travel. I tend to plan far too much when I'm riding but you're teaching me to just roll with it and have some fun. This has been truly inspiring and I can't wait to hear more.

Also, I'm hoping you get another five weeks of vacation next summer! lol
    Swilling likes this.
  2. UncleJ

UncleJ It's Happy Hour Somewhere

Oddometer:
    My favorite part about travel, chance encounters that lead to cool shit! :beer
    KleineDK and Swilling like this.
  3. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    My moneys on Prague!
    Swilling likes this.
  4. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, you better have gone to Prague! lol. Awesome read!
    Swilling likes this.
  5. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit! The suspense is killing us! Don't leave us hanging brother.
    Swilling and bobw like this.
  6. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    All caught up Sam!

#cliffhanger ! :beer
    Swilling likes this.
  7. Riverbud

Riverbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to plan a trip for next year. Kept obsessing. If I do the TAT which bike would be best? Maybe go cross country, but where and what route? I plowed through your ride report in one sitting and it really opened my eyes. Pick a general direction, grab some paper maps and just go. I've always been a slave to going from Point A to Point B, so I'm not sure if my brain can rewire itself to such a concept, but damn it sounds appealing. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!
    Swilling likes this.
  8. Swilling

Swilling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah - i made sure if i bought this bike that it would be something i keep, especially that Harley Killed off the Dyna - i dont think they will make anything quite like it again. Ha nothin to lose for sure.

what little plan i had, i ended up deciding to stick to it.

Thanks man - yeah it was the hardest decision on the trip!

Thank you! - i didnt even reall make a point of Not planning, it seems almost a mute point to set out and plan to not make a plan, haha if that makes sense. You nailed it by saying Just roll with it and have fun, thats exactly what i was trying to do, thanks for the kind words man.

Yes sir! if anything its just more proof that there is cool shit everywhere, and no matter what direction you take, you wind up having a blast.

knowing me, if i was reading this, id actually have put mine on it also!

Thanks mate - however, i think this was my first time making an adult decision in my life haha...
    bobw and Zencyl like this.
  9. Swilling

Oddometer:
    finally getting back on to post some updates! sorry for the delay...

Good to see ya Shane!

You know, to be honest, the planning side is certainly something that helped kill the time get up to the trip, and like i said while i didn't plan anything, i did look at a lot of maps just trying to think about places that i wanted to explore, as far as a paper map goes, and i planned out my gear enough and rode across town a few times just to make sure my shit would actually stay put. That was really fun, just the anticipation, i dont think i could do another trip without wanting to do that, just to help kill the time until i could actually leave. But i think i mostly was very well aware of the type of person i am, meaning. That on day one, no matter how smoothly things went, even if everything went perfect. I'd end up ruining my schedule or plan just because id see something cool and decide "fuckit lets check that out" and then if only it throws off half a day, it still pushes everything down the line, and within a day or two, id either be pissed that i wasnt hitting my marks, or having to make executive decisions "do i go here, or here... but i can only chose one?" I think the Point A to Point B scenario totally works well depending on the trip - and im sure theres many people out there who are like "i cant believe you were so close to X and didn't even stop" - theres probably some amazing shit i missed. So pre planning has its merits, but if you like to dawdle and just goof off id highly advise it. Especially with how structured life in the Workplace is, the real vacation for me is not having an agenda. Appreciate you following along!
    Shaggie, bobw, jmacp19 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Swilling

Oddometer:
    So what’s a man to do...
    I regrettably fired up my phone knowing I’d get dinged for 10 bucks for daily international use.

I wanted to check out the weather - north east to Prague was rain for days. East to Austria. Seemed like maybe I’d get rain. But less chance.

I roughed out the mileage. To get to Prague I’d need to spend the entire day on the Freeway, then spend the night and following day there to make sure the hustle was worth it. Then pin it back down to get back on track. I loved the idea of hanging out with these new generous friends I’d made but sacrificing 2 days of exploring back roads in a place I may never return over blasting down a freeway to end up in another city wasn’t that appealing. If I had more time. For sure. But to me. Every mile has been so great out here. The freeway just seemed unappealing.

To Austria!

I hooked it along ss49 to Monguelfo - weather was clearing up and the road was fantastic. Followed yet another gorgeous lake.
    [​IMG]

I was giving myself shit about out of the zero decisions I’ve had to make in this trip. Would this one single decision be the lame one.

[​IMG]
    My last stop for gas in Italy was In Dobbiaco. This was an odd gas station, inside was just a full on whiskey bar with a donut in a plastic case and the bar tender took my money for the gas. Wished I got a picture of the inside. It looked like a gentleman private club room inside a 70’s golf course clubhouse. Neat place.

[​IMG]
    Austria! You gorgeous beast!
    I followed this road simply called 100. I tried getting off at any spot I could to be on a less traveled road. I managed a few times but either ended at private property or obvious places that weren’t leading back to a main road. Man it was just so neat seeing these kinds of mountains in every direction.

[​IMG]
    Continuing my day along through a bunch of charming towns this was around Frallach. Conversations with locals seemed to be a lot shorter and to the point, most folks were kind and helpful but didn’t have much to say about the areas or really want to talk about the history of the town. I’m pretty sure lots of tourists go through since it’s somewhat of a main road that I understand tiring of telling the same kind of assholes the same stories every 45 minutes.

[​IMG]
    On the way to WeibBrach I hit a glorious piece of road. Man it was fast, lots of tight banked turns and ever so smooth, it was south along highway 87 heading to WeibBriach, this was such an enjoyable ride I didn’t even want to stop and lose my free run of no cars in front of me. Just a great great ride.

[​IMG]
    there was a time when I’d see a picture and probably say “somewhere in Europe?” But you get pretty tuned in to the architecture and even just the civil engineering of a country quite quickly and start to notice things. Austria had an interesting type of roadway construction. With lots of stone edging out from what I figure must be newer concrete sidewalks. Either way it’s just gorgeous.

[​IMG]
    I rolled into this town and pulled over to drink some water and stretch a little. Another silenced town, not much going on. But I saw the sign with the arrow pointing left and said out loud “thank fuck I don’t need to go there, I couldn’t pronounce that joint worth a shit”

[​IMG]
    perfect weather. Perfect roads. I was feeling good about not being on the autobahn in a rainstorm right now, I constantly had to justify my decisions... this was east bound on road 111 outside of Emmersdorf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mcahron, danh600, bobw and 8 others like this.
  11. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with your decision. Fun open roads beats crowds any day. Keep going with the updates! We're all loving it!
    RedDogAlberta and Zencyl like this.
  12. Swilling

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    It was getting later in the Afternoon and I came to the realization that if I wanted to hit the Schwarzenegger museum today. I should figure out when it’s open till and actually plan some kinda route. Till now I’d just been kinda bumbling eastward however I could on whatever road looked neat.

I’d already copped the bill for using my phone today so I might as well capitalize on it.
    Let’s see how far is it?

[​IMG]
    Google maps did something weird but helpful and reminded me of this situation. Oh shit!!! That’s not much time at all, and I’m expecting I’d have to stop one more time between here and there.

First time on the trip I’ve really been on schedule and it already sucks! Ok where’s the nearest freeway. Time to cook!

Remember how I said I didn’t wanna go to Prague to battle a storm on the freeway.
    Well I copped a good piece of that. About 15 minutes into the A2 I hit rain, that turned into heavy heavy rain. It also got really cold. About 45 minutes in, I went through a tunnel. Tunnels now were my friend, they were much warmer and usually gave me a mile or two to slow down and thaw out. I come to the end and can see the outside. But it’s pure white out there, no road no trees no rain just pure white. I thought maybe it was sunny on this side of the mountain. And it was just blowing out my vision. I hit this white wall at around 75 and started screaming. It was a fucking hail storm. Like big heavy hail, I’m not wearing gloves, I thought it was being shot at, my god was it painful. I couldn’t slow down, anytime someone would over take me the spray was even worse so I just kept into it.

I started to laugh to myself everything was so loud. My bike the water from the trucks,The hail smashing in on my helmet visor I just screamed “this is how I fucking die”

I powered through the next 15 miles or so and it was just absolute brutality - I got to another tunnel slowed down a little my fingers were stinging and my shoulders were on fire from all the ice hitting them. The tunnel opened up and thankfully no more hail. Just heavy rain. Phew. I’ll take it!

I rolled off the freeway onto my exit and was surprised I wasn’t in a city or town. Just rural farmland. I was way behind schedule. It was around 5:45 and I thought I was down for for sure. My map said I was only 8 miles away though? I followed the turns and had a feeling I was not headed the right way. But I didn’t have time to argue it.

[​IMG]
    I was dying to take a leak so I pulled off here. I was soaked to the bone.

[​IMG]
    Back on the scoot and a few more miles. Doubting my direction still... a signpost! Oh man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FR700, junkyardroad, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a great ride report! A fine mix of fine photos and a very cool story! Very cool that you rode from California to Montreal instead of just shooting directly north and getting a flight there! And I really dig your choice of bike! Nothing wrong with GSes, KTMs, etc but it's cool to see someone haul a Harley to Europe.

One question....and this is for all readers of this report....does anyone know which Benz that is in #221 parked in front of the insurance agency in Farmington, Maine? I rather dig the roofline. Kind of gives it that Speedster look in profile.
    Swilling likes this.
  14. UncleJ

UncleJ It's Happy Hour Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Looks like an E-Class to me:

https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/e-class/2018/convertible/

Schwarzenegger museum? Ha! I just watched Pumping Iron the other day. I needed some physical therapy motivation... :1drink
    Swilling likes this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The goodness continues. I'm luvin it. :clap
    Swilling likes this.
  16. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    UncleJ, I think you nailed it. Thanks. Man, I love the "no plan plan" approach. How do the Dead put it? "just light out and look all around!" When in Europe I've found it pretty easy to pick up sim cards for my phone....on special short-term plans. Last time in Sicily I think I paid 30 Euros for 2 weeks with plenty of data etc. I use maps.me for nav most of the time. It's free, and you download the maps into your phone, so as long as you have a gps signal the maps work really well: show where you are, searchable, zoomable, and can give you routes. I learned of it from an inmate here (John) who used it on his big S.American trip and spoke highly of it. YMMV, but it works for me. Love the report! Keep it coming!
    Swilling likes this.
  17. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I was hoping you went to Prague with new friends, having to slab it that far and strain the schedule definitely doesn't sound like fun, seems you made the right choice. And shooting out of the tunnel into the hail storm - I literally lol'd. That will stick with ya.
    Swilling and jmacp19 like this.
  18. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog:dirtdog:lol3
    Swilling likes this.
  19. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Loving your trip and your story telling! Can't wait for the rest.
    Swilling likes this.
  20. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10 Months bad sledding, 2 Months construction
    Yep, correct decision. Rallies are pretty much all the same, even in different languages. And backroads beat the slab any day. Can't wait to hear about Arnie!
    Swilling, KleineDK and jmacp19 like this.