Coast to Coast Monsters and Movies on a Dyna and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Swilling, May 30, 2018.

1. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    Man, you have sure caused me a lot of trouble!! When i first found your ride report, I was happy with my r1100gs and super tenere that i had recently acquired, planning some trips now that i am retired and have sort of recovered from tearing my knee up last February in a get off on a red clay trail in the rain.

Along you came, reminding me of my earlier days of traveling with a blanket rolled up and a couple of things lashed to the sissy bar of my old hardtail and no particular place to go unless it looked interesting. Met a lot of great folks and saw some great sights that way.

Next thing I know, there's a dyna superglide ('09) in my garage and the tenere is sold and gone. Setting it up like i want it, leather bags, forward controls , stage 1 and maybe a cam. No locking panniers, no GPS, no fairing or windshield, and I'm gonna see if it's as good as I remember!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!
    Frank
    FR700, glasshousebc, bobw and 6 others like this.
  2. Swilling

Swilling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate - yeah I must say. Across the USA was just as fantastic - so much to see and so much I still missed. Was a great buildup leading to Europe, I admit it had a great time ripping around in the Harley too, saw many other bikes of all makes even some Harley’s but nothing quite like mine and it really did make me feel special in my own little world. Thanks for checking it out. I’m glad you’re enjoying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Ha! Great timing, fantastic film. It’s a motivator for sure! I enjoy it often.

4. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Wish I could find the time to keep the posts flowing. Thanks for checking in as always

RedDogAlberta likes this.
  5. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I think you have the right plan, I’d say that’s the most cost effective way for sure, of course I’m not much of a plan ahead as you’ve probably noticed. But I really like the idea of a re downloading the maps and areas as you get within that locale. If I were doing this kind of trip again. It would be for sure taking this approach. Great insight and smart way to go about it. Thanks

6. Swilling

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to go mostly to reconnect with the fantastic people I’d just met, man I can’t describe how welcoming and awesome the people I met at those few stops were, the generosity is still embedded in me, my only regret about not going to Prague was honestly the sad reality that ill probably never see those kind folks ever again. I was emotionally torn just wanting to accept these overly kid gestures with these fantastic people. But again I may never ride these roads again so I needed to really side with the exploring and adventure. Than just eating miles.

Man. That hailstorm. You’re right. It was like no other experience. And it sure is still sticking with me. Holy crap I made some sounds I didn’t think a human was capable of . Out of all the things on this trip. This seems to be one I tell the most. God it was brutal, but now just a great laugh

FR700 and bobw like this.
  7. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Cheers! Thanks for keeping along!

8. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Yeah for sure. As I’ve said earlier I was really torn. But ultimately this trip was about riding and exploring. And hey. If that’s the hardest decision I’ll make in my entire life, I’ll be real happy!

choppahead likes this.
  9. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Man, this really struck a chord with me, you’re the guy I always wanted to be.

People like yourself and many others here, who really did it back then, it just must have been so pure. In a world of cell phones and immediate connectivity, the freedom you really had at that time is truly mind boggling.

The effort required to disconnect today and then it’s never actually achieved.

we as a whole civilization/planet. Will never pass that way again.

I’m so taken by you just switching out your setup like that on the inspiration of a few pictures and words. I hope you have the most bitchin and safe time out on the road and would love to follow along, happy trails out there Frank! You guys are the reasons we’re all here!!

glasshousebc likes this.
  10. Swilling

Oddometer:
    So, completely soaking wet. And I mean just drenched to the bone. You know that heavy waterlogged feeling you have. Where even your shoes and socks are twice as heavy just retaining cold water.

I followed a speed bumped road up a hill and to the left. There it was. I don’t know what I expected but I didn’t expect this to be a house in the middle of farmland somewhere in Austria. Maybe I expected it to be more commercial or some kind of structure. Maybe I expected it to be a city style exhibit?I.

parked the bike in a small parking area opposite the house. A giant bronze statue of Arnold was in the garden... I was definitely at the right place.

This is why I rode all this way. I purposely didn’t research or look at pictures of this joint just wanting to experience something, anything, the way people experienced things before the internet. I peeled off some of my soaked rain gear, holy crap. It’s 5:55! This is not gonna go well... nobody was around. This shitty weather on a weekday in small town Austria.. no way anyone’s sticking around here till 6pm. It’s closed for sure.

I walked up to the door and regrettably turned the handle expecting it to stop... it kept turning!! And then... the door opened. Holy shit... I fucking made it!!!

[​IMG]
    Two steps inside this giant welcome runner.

I’m standing on this mat, still actually water just pouring off me. I look down the straight hallway that leads to the other end of the house. A woman pokes her head out into view “uhh.. I’m sorry sir. We are closed”

She must’ve just guessed English since that’s probably the majority of their patrons.

I take two steps forward and she cringes at the squishing sounds my waterlogged everything made
    “Ohhho, no. Nope, I came all the way from San Francisco..” *more squishing sounds as I walk closer to the counter she was standing at

“I almost died in a hail storm...”
    *more waterlogged squishy steps
    “I just... I’ll be really quick.. please?” I smiled - the lady finally got a good look at the disrepair myself and my clothes had fallen into.. keeping in mind I’m wearing the same shirt I was when I left, it was white. Now it’s brown..

I don’t still really know what she was thinking about me but she replied “eight fifty”

Boom! I’m in! I gave her a soggy note that she disgustingly peeled apart and handed me change... and began my tour.

[​IMG]
    I learned quickly this was the house Arnold was born and raised in.. now I understand why it’s all the way out here! The first room had his old childhood bedroom stuff

[​IMG]
    And some rally neat oddball aspect ratio comic books.

[​IMG]
    Old army locker photographs

[​IMG]
    The next room containing a bunch of Governator stuff - I still have my letter from California DMV signed by him congratulating me on my license. Ha!

[​IMG]
    Dragged my soggy ass up the stairs and this great still from Predator was on the wall.

[​IMG]
    Round the corner to the Pumping iron era. Lots of neat photographs and early publications.

[​IMG]
    The next area - finally what I’m here for. Awesome!! So much cool terminator stuff.

[​IMG]
    So good

[​IMG]
    Wait. Genisys? Really guys?!? Come on!! still rad though.

[​IMG]
    This photo was on the wall... Neat Arnold and a Harley... wait Arnold and a Dyna!!! Man. This is some seriously meta shit!

[​IMG]
    Among all this epicness - an on set chair from Junior - now why someone kept this and then decided it was worthy of the museum. Just cracked me up. Classic!! Wall to wall terminator shit and hello! There’s the Junior chair. Hilarious

[​IMG]
    Sent this picture back to my mum “I made it!”

[​IMG]
    Around the corner and there it is. Man this was awesome. Terminator 2 is why I have the careeer, friends and life that I do now. It was the ultimate inspiration for me and still is. It’s the perfect film on every level. I was so fucking cold and felt so wrecked the entire time I was in this museum but seeing this bike here and just standing there. I had a small moment where everything flashed from my mum letting me have the day off school and taking me to see Terminator 2 in the theater on opening day.. all the way till now, where now my day job is brushing shoulders with the same folks that made this movie the fantastic memorable spectacle that it is... Unbelievable. This most likely will be the most memorable moment of my life. Just so many things coming together at once, including the swelling and bruising that was showing up on my knuckles from the hail storm of death I’d just ripped through.

[​IMG]
    I looked out the window and was reminded of my soggy steed. Probably should get moving.

I rolled back downstairs and the woman was clearly ready to close up for the day. I thanked her, and asked her for a t shirt. Thankfully this place actually sold them! Again I had no idea they even did! Only assumption! She agreed and said I should sign the guest book as I was clearly buzzing about being there.

I grabbed the pen. And it fell out of my hand. I tried again. And it fell out again.. what the hell... one more time. This time, slower... I couldn’t grip it. I had zero grip strength in my hands. I could use my fingers fine but squeezing down on anything smaller than the diameter of what must be my handlebars I just can’t even do it. What the hell?! It really freaked me out..

I tried again and really had to focus. But was able to get something legible out even if it did take me a really long time. Lots of effort and concentration. This was a really strange and worrying feeling...
    [​IMG]
    Made it!!!! - it was only after looking at this I realized I was off by a month. But hey... that’s a vacation!! right?!

I walked out as the kind lady followed and Locke the door behind us both. She wished me well on my trip and didn’t waste any time gettijfnin her car to finally leave for the day.

Outside back into the rain. I didn’t even care. I put my brand new dry , soft, white shirt on... and the rain had just stopped... my god. What a feeling. I have never felt like I earned a clean piece of clothing like this... and man it felt good. I forgot what a nice crispy piece of cotton felt like.
    [​IMG]
    Mission Accomplished.

Ride from San Francisco to The Arnold Schwarzenegger Museum in Thal Austria... check!

11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fanFREAKINtastic mate!!!!!!

Good! On! You!!!!!!!
    Swilling likes this.
  12. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10 Months bad sledding, 2 Months construction
    That's a great story. I expect it will be better or at least as good! I never missed my '97 Dyna until I started following Swilling on his adventure....

He and a couple others on here are the epitome of motorcycle travellers. That run what ya brung, go with what ya got, but just go attitude is something I'd kind of forgotten. It's been a good reminder. Although I moved on from the Dyna, I still have a couple of simple bikes that will pretty much take me anywhere I want to go. And as a fellow retiree, there is lots of time to wander. Winter has kicked in early this year, so my Shovel is on the lift getting some long overdue TLC. But both it and my Scout will be ready for action when the weather breaks. Just gotta bungee on the bedroll and hit the road.
    Swilling and bobw like this.
  13. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have to ask. Did you turn around when leaving and say “I’ll be back”
    Swilling and maydaymike like this.
  14. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10 Months bad sledding, 2 Months construction
    Awesome ride and report. Thanks.
    Swilling likes this.
  15. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    I'm actually more excited about getting the dyna like i want it than i have been in a long time. Instead of perusing the Jesse and touratech sites, I'm planning how I'm going to weld up a luggage rack incorporating a removable backrest to my old back. I have also discovered that i can get down rough 2 track just as well as with my big pig adventure bikes if i take it easy. It also gets better mpg's than any bike I've traveled on in a long time.
    Swilling likes this.
  16. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Swilling, Fosters and Vrode like this.
  17. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stopped to take a leak before hitting the highway and saw this old pull tab on the ground. It was right by a road with a wire fence gate - that had a dirt road behind it all the way to the horizon, I cooked up a scenario in my head about some dude ripping down that dirt road 6pm on a Friday in a 68 cutlass for some reason. Don’t know why but that’s now the car that belongs to the owner of this pull tab. I pictured him hooking right out of the dirt driveway hearing the anemic 400 olds with bone stock heads, bog down as he hit the pavement, then winding into anti climatic one tire fire on the the inside rear tire since i I also decided he was running an open differential. Then peeling back that tab on his warm foamy can of Rainier and tossing it out the window to be forgotten about till 40 years later Where In the time it took me to take a leak I cooked up this entire backstory that realistically couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m constantly speculating how items became, or arrived where they are when I come across them, and usually the most mundane- case in point a beer can pull tab

The chopper rider in Vanishing Point had a head band made out of those pull tabs.
    [​IMG]
    Swilling, Oznay, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  18. oldjackd

oldjackd 2005 Suzuki s50 huh?

Oddometer:
    WOW and thanks
    Swilling likes this.
  19. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to go! Glad they let you check the museum out.
  20. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Against all odds! ha surprised myself! Cheers

Thanks for the Kind words mate, this bike is an absolute blast for this trip, even though its just a Harley, and there are a million of them, it still somtimes feels like theres nothing else like it out there.

Bahaha! Yessss i totally thought of this scene as i was walking out of the Museum.

Cheers mate Thanks!

Totally man! the good thing is they make so much bottom end you just dont notice the thing loaded up, about my only problem is the weight feels a little high whenever i got into some rutty dirt roads, without decent dirt tires it really wants to walk around. But low slung bags would fix that i bet.