Coast to Coast Monsters and Movies on a Dyna and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Swilling, May 30, 2018.

1. Swilling

Swilling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent! that thing is totally rad - drop me a line when its getting close and ill come out for sure, love to see more about how he keeps the engines in sync so they dont fight or pull eachother, under what looks like a chain or gear drive that connects both. Very fun stuff! Lookin forward to it! Cheers
  2. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Ah man thanks so much, those are really kind words. Stoked to hear it fires the receptors on your Adventures. Appreciate you following along so diligently
  3. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Apologies for the update delays. Lots of stuff happening out there in the real world for me so that pushed this aside for the time been..

So now what to do. I should start heading east that way I can do a quick jaunt north the next day and be back at my mates place early morning to ditch the bike at the airport and get ready to skip town.

Not really sure what to do I jumped on the A40 and decided to get some miles under me, maybe something would jump out and I’d find the perfect place to cam..

IMG_6310.jpg
    Pulled over to take a leak off the highway just outside of Charix. It was about 5pm.

I looked at my map and I realized I was very close to being out of the green bits and didn’t see any other lakes or interesting stuff. Right at this moment Chris texted me he was boarding his flight and he’d be back in town by 10 or so.

I fired up the gps to see how far away from his place I actually was..

Of course I couldn’t remember his weird ass address and street name. But there was one thjng I remember easily. My new local watering hole!
    IMG_6311.jpg

Screw it. Maybe my last time is better spent exploring more of the city tomorrow, so I booked it back to Paris..

IMG_6312.jpg
    Stopped to gas up and hydrate a little off the A6 in Saint Albian

A nice cruise with warm weather and the sun going down. Listening to some music and just really absorbing everything I’ve seen in the past 5 weeks. Even though I knew my time I. Europe was almost over I was still just buzzing with how much I’d crammed in and none of it ever felt like a scramble. It was really therapeutic.

IMG_6314.jpg
    Next gas stop in Equilly full tank, empty bladder! Time to pin it.

Heading back into the freeway I stopped to snap this picture it had been just a fantastic sunset to be riding in.
    IMG_6317.jpg

Into downtown and boy did I feel like a local - there’s the river, ok hook a right over the next bridge. Burn through a couple backed up traffic lights and I’ll be home
    IMG_6318.jpg

Boom made it
    IMG_6319.jpg

Hello old friend!
    IMG_6321.jpg

I threw my pack in the door and parked the bike down the alley. Straight into the Highlander with a cheer from the bartenders “he made it” I was wearing my Museum shirt and laughs were had all around .

IMG_6322.jpg
    I got served up a cold one and my mate arrived only 20 minutes later. We closed out the night bs’ing with a bunch of people and had a great time
    davide, dondesmo, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  4. Swilling

Oddometer:
    The next morning i had to get my bike to the airport due to no direct flights leaving Paris to Vancouver the bike had to go a full day ahead.

Set off for some breakfast and a little bit of exploring

Cruised around through any small alley I could find. Then some open streets wherever there wasn’t stop start traffic.
    IMG_6327.jpg

Cruising around enjoying the fuck it I’m on a bike I can park anywhere Paris attitude
    IMG_6326.jpg
    It was here after cackling down this small street, I was getting back on the bike and about to put my helmet on. Some dude comes out of an apartment complex and yells. “Oi! Get a bloody muffler you fuckin yank!” It was pretty aggressive. I turned around with my helmet just before pulling it down over my head and said “sorry mate! I don’t speak English!” With a shit eating grin.

He sure was confused but angrily confused. Stopped him in his tracks lol

I’ll abide to anyone giving me shit, in a respectful manner... hey it’s not my town and my bike is clearly breaking their laws. But hostility towards me only ends in me laughing and a smart assed remark. Hope this dude is having better days now and that whatever was bothering him has cleared up.

Ripped around town a bit longer. Hunted down some gas and yeah just no unpleasant things to look at in Paris..
    IMG_6330.jpg

Last gas stop in Europe! Trying to rough out my mileage and end up with a small amount in the tank when I arrived at the airport.
    IMG_6343.jpg

Back to air canada cargo!
    IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

Rode around to the loading bay and these dudes came out and strapped it down asked me if I was happy.

IMG_6364.jpg
    And off it went!

Hooked an Uber back into town and cruised around on foot and did some gift shopping and sight seeing

I had to send off a few things and some post cards. Remember my buddy Hue I met at the gas station in Covington Georgia? Gotta make sure he gets my post card, remember how I said I couldn’t hold a pen anymore. Well it got worse. My hands had just gotten completely numb where I couldn’t close my grip tighter than my handlegrips. Such a strange feeling. I have shit hand writing but this was even bad by my standards. And it took me about 10 times as long to write it.. it must be a similar feeling to someone who has nerve damage. You know what you want it to do but it just won’t do it. A real eye opener.
    IMG_6369.jpg

Also i couldn’t not send one of these dildos back to my lady friend..
    IMG_6367.jpg
    IMG_6366.jpg
    Looks like I just leveled up as far as Romance and Poetry goes - will be hard to beat this one!

After that couldn’t not leave Paris without eating some snails. So my mate suggested one particular place
    IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    Snails were great! Good stuff that is.

We kicked around town more and had some killer cocktails at this Italian joint
    IMG_6334.jpg

They also had a killer cured meet locker but you could see it from inside the bathroom. Neat
    IMG_6335.jpg

One last hoorah over at the Dirty Dick to tell my new mate Scotty, the owner that I survived my trip and enjoy one last cocktail there- again I just Fuckin love Tiki Bars
    IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

We took off to the other side of town and got to experience the subway system
    IMG_6378.jpg

Then we hit the river walk and by this time had realized it was the second last game of the World Cup.. and France was doing great
    IMG_6380.jpg
    Bars and floating bars the whole way down the river with TVs people cheering and having a good time

IMG_6392.jpg
    We hopped on this one boat and just as we got our beers the game ended and the place exploded. People were so happy. France won and are in the final. Man the energy from these folks is just fantastic. I’ve never seen such a large volume of people so happy in my life.
  5. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    Loving it Sam! :dllama:
    Swilling likes this.
  6. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for your update. Another great post dude.
    Swilling likes this.
  7. Kevin509

Kevin509 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just discovered this RR over the weekend and I'm finally caught up! Man what an incredible journey you've had, I can't wait to see how it ends.

It's been said in these comments before but man you just have the best attitude about this whole thing and I think it's made your trip 100x better. Especially now with technology we get so caught up on planning every second of our time on a trip and more often than not when one little thing doesn't go to that plan we let it sour the whole experience.
    st2sam and Swilling like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:rofl:clap The Eiffel Tower of toys. There's simply nothing more I can add to that so I won't even try. :lol3
    Swilling likes this.
  9. Swilling

Oddometer:
    IMG_6412.jpg
    We went up to the street and it was an absolute riot. Traffic blocked in all directions people jumping in car roofs. Pretty amazing. The people in the cars were just as stoked!

IMG_6440.jpg
    We headed back to the house along the river and it was just packed. People everywhere. We scored beers from people as we walked along - no shortage anywhere and people again just so happy.

IMG_6444.jpg
    This was the last picture I took that night, we headed back to my mates place and got one last beer at the Highlander he was working the next day and I was flying.

What an epic feeling of accomplishment just strolling down the river bullshitting about everything I’d done and seen during this trip. A great feeling.

IMG_6452.jpg
    Got to the airport and didn’t wait around much at all. My first flight was to Toronto for a layover before skipping to Van. It’s always neat getting to walk the tarmac too... goodbye Europe you undeniably amazing place. No way I can’t return now..

IMG_6454.jpg
    Short layover in Toronto. And an eta of landing I. Vancouver by 6pm. Perfect

IMG_6456.jpg
    I lived in Vancouver for over 2 years and made some great friends. A longtime mate of mine picked me up form the airport and we went out for beers in my old stomping grounds

And some killer nachos.
    IMG_6458.jpg

A quiet night he was working the next day and I was really burned from the flight but we had a great time taking about movies and catching up.

The next morning he dropped me back at the airport before work and I kicked around at the cargo terminal waiting for my bike to clear.

IMG_6464.jpg
    A quick trip down memory lane and stuffed myself with some Tim Hortons. Conveniently located right by the freight terminal.

IMG_6466.jpg
    Sitting here waiting for some paperwork and I get a DM from A member in here CCitis - he was asking when I’d be at the airport since he was close by - well. I’m at the Airport!

IMG_6469.jpg
    And just as the bike was going out on the forklift He shows up - can’t say enough thanks for stopping by Jeremy! We bs’d for a minute about bikes and trips, hoping to someday go for a ride next time I’m up in the PNW - pretty cool and amazing timing! I couldn’t believe it. Super cool to meet you mate!

IMG_6470.jpg
    Gassed up just outside the airport and hit the road, I wanted to visit my machine shop over in North Vancouver. I’ve been using these guys now for 10 years and they just are the best. Even being down in California it’s worth it shopping heavy parts all the way. Quality machine shops are so few and far between that actually support you outside of taking your money. I stopped by the shop and visited everyone since I hadn’t seen them in person for a few years

Stupidly I didn’t take a picture at the front of the store but here’s a screengrab from their website -
    IMG_0534.jpg
    They cover all types of builds but a large amount of their customers are big dollar monster truck/sprint car and mud truck engine builds. There’s something special to be said about a company who treats a lowly garage builder like myself the same as people spending 100k on a single engine. Can’t say enough good things about the guys.

We chatted for a while and laughed about the pennies I’ll be saving to put towards the hemi for my 68 charger project and saw some of the crazy engines they were working on for current customers. Then it was time to hit the road!

Where to? I was really wanting to get out to Hope. That’s where the famous First Blood was shot - in the years I lived here I never actually got out there it’s only a 90 minute drive. But somehow always made an excuse. Well no excuses today I’m on vacation! And all I have to do is see that damn bridge that John J walks across at the beginning of the movie... To Hope!

Most of the outskirts of BCwas really familiar to me so I just hit the freeway and killed some miles.
    IMG_6471.jpg
    Topped off my tank in Langley

An hour later and I’m here. Beautiful Hope BC
    IMG_6472.jpg

Not researching anything I figured the bridge would be easy to find since it’s somewhat of a small town... so I rolled through and the town was kind of spread out more than I expected. I couldn’t seem to come across a Main Street.. so I back and forth trying to follow the river. That’s for sure will lead me to a bridge..

IMG_6473.jpg
    Found the river and some of the always favorite road works.

IMG_6474.jpg
    I raved about the river waters in Europe but damn It was nice to be reminded how good Canada was too.

IMG_6476.jpg
    I find myself all the way through town and no bridge. What the hell?

I turned around and saw a streetbike parked in a gravel pit. I pull up to it and shut my bike off, the owner appears out of the trees “hey bro! Nice day huh?”... you want a rip on this ?!” As he pulls a giant joint from behind his back. I cracked up “nah man I’m good....hey where’s the Rambo bridge?!” He was real confused. And I guess didn’t even know the movie was filmed around the area. He said there was a bridge close by and gave me directions. Then offered me another hit of his joint but I gratefully declined.

He was right! There was a bridge here!
    IMG_6477.jpg
  10. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was great meeting you too. The timing was unreal and fantastic! Seems like a ways back now... thinking of Sunny Days and waiting for riding weather. Hope things are good down south, and hopefully our paths cross again... next time when I am on my bike.
    Swilling likes this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Rambo - "Can you tell me if Delmar Berry lives here?"
    Swilling likes this.
  12. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Fantastic stuff Sam

:clap

Shane
    Swilling likes this.
  13. Swilling

Oddometer:
    The bridge immediately was not the bridge I was looking for. I decided to break out my phone and take a look...well what do you know. The bridge has been torn down only in the last few years.

Totally kicking myself I could’ve seen it while I lived here and I never bothered.. lesson learned!

So rolling back through town - I see the railroad tracks and I’m thinking no way that had to be the spot
    IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg
    Looks familiar to me..

I pull up some images and boom
    IMG_6483.jpg
    Anybody whos even only seen this movie once will never forget the chase on the old XT. Man I miss two strokes.

IMG_6482.jpg
    So what’s next. It’s afternoon by now and not sure of my plans but I should probably hook it down stateside and see where I end up.

I hit the border in Blaine. I remember this crossing being the most chill from my time up here and I didn’t wait more than 15 minutes.

The border guard asked where I was going. I said Nor Cal, he said where did I come from, I said Europe! He laughed with a “ok cut the shit” grin. “Nah dude seriously” I had my plane tickets and passport in my tank bag, he gave me shit about going so far on such “an old bike” lol! Then told me welcome home and wished me safe.

IMG_6486.jpg
    It was about 5pm and i was trying to figure out what I should do. Then I remembered I had an old friend just in Bellingham and called her up, she said come over and crash and tell her about my trip. Sweet deal! It was only a half hour ride.

IMG_6495.jpg
    Really enjoyed the smooth backdroads with little traffic, everything out here is pretty flat in this area so you can really boogie.

IMG_6507.jpg
    Once I got there she insisted we go for a ride and sight see a bit around town. So we got the last of the daylight in then her bike decided to quit. After flipping the ignition a few times I couldn’t hear the fuel pump anymore..

we gave it 15 minutes and then I tried it again and it fired right up so we scooted back real quick before it crapped out again

After that we drove into town and met her boyfriend who works at the fire station who id met once before, a few years ago. He was so cool got a great tour of all the trucks and gear, the station still had the old silo for drying the hoses and stuff. Wished I’d taken pictures. Got to meet the other guys on the night shift and learned some history about the station was really neat. On the way back he wanted me to check out his new project car so we stopped at their workshop space and got to scope out his killer Road Runner. This thing was neat!
    IMG_6509.jpg

Up the next morning and grabbed breakfast in town at a place the firefighters recommended to me and got a big gut full of comfort food
    IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

Going off a reccomendation I was to hit a road called Chuckanut drive and follow that as far as I could off we go!
    IMG_6511.jpg

The road was great warm weather but cool coastal breeze i remember thinking it must be a weekday because nobody was to be seen
    IMG_6514.jpg

The road would have clearings in the trees every so often for a killer vista
    IMG_6515.jpg

I’ve done the coast a bunch in a car but never on a bike. And never this far north. Usually jump in south of Seattle, but this has some spots totally worth exploring
    IMG_6517.jpg

However it was over faster than I wanted and was met with what to do next. I had a friend I needed to visit who’s just north of Seattle. So only an hour or so from where I was but it would be all interstate unfortunately, and atop that I can’t count the Amount Times id been through there but it’s only an hour so be it!
    IMG_6518.jpg

Well that didn’t last long. Those expansion joints in the interstate shook something loose and I had to lay some cable - ASAP!

IMG_6520.jpg
    I pulled into this gas station in Stanwood and sure enough “rest rooms are closed, there’s a porta poty over there”

Fine by me! Except once I had got in and sat down..I noticed lots of extra light and yup sure enough. This thing was riddled with bullet holes.
    IMG_6519.jpg
    I was cracking up picturing the guys who were shooting at because I bet whenever that happened they were giggling to themselves too.
  14. Swilling

Oddometer:
    Thanks! sorry ive fallen by way of updates just life and busy stuff as usual... oh and riding!

Thanks so much man - while i can't say ive done a trip like this, with all the planning, i do feel like on any of my setbacks or delays or just time eaten up from screwing around it wouldve certainly pushed out anything else id planned - i think theres probably a perfect balance of both, as georgraphically i probably missed some awesome stuff just by riding straight past not knowing it was there.. but that does not bother me the slightest as you cant see it all, and it was perpetually zero stress. It definitly works for some of us! Cheers.

LOL , the girl at the post office who had to inspect it before i taped it up got a laugh too.

For sure! man time flies alright! - you bet mate! - i cant find that picutre you took - i know you texted it to me but i updated my phone and sure enough... gone..

You sir - Get it! ha. Excellent.

Thanks Shane!! on the home stretch now!!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    She was jealous and wanted one. :D
  16. Swilling

Oddometer:
    A quick stop for lunch at my buddies place then deciding what to next, my good mate in Oregon races super late model stock cars and was prepping for the weeks race. I had spoke to him about my trip and said I’d stop through knowing my flight into Vancouver would time me getting see him at the track.

I did need to do an oil change soon so I sourced a Harley shop close by to stock up on oil and then I’d do my change at his house.

Emerald City HD had everything I needed except they had the gallon jug - which wouldn’t fit in any of my bags since I normally spread the qt sized bottles around
    IMG_6521.jpg

Nice place and friendly staff they offered to squeeze me in for the change but I just wanted to keep rolling. These places are just huge
    IMG_6522.jpg

So off to catch my mate Tommy in St Helens Oregon. It’s not too far, but now I’ve realized it’s 2pm and it’s Friday and I’m about to go through the worlds worst part of interstate traffic. Also where lane splitting is illegal to salt the wound.

I ended up at a ferry in Edmonds Bowl which didn’t seem right for where I was heading so I pulled out the old gps on my phone and even the gps told me to take the ferry. I didn’t buy into that computer machine bs one bit so I turned around and just kept on south on the interstate.
    IMG_6523.jpg

The next 3 hours were just torturous it was hot as balls and traffic was gridlocked through Seattle and further my bike was getting hot and my balls were losing their shape. Fuck this I cut down the middle various lanes of backed up traffic. It was all dead stopped.

I’m cruising along and I see a minivan turn asnif it’s changing lanes. But there’s no where to go.. since there’s a car next to it. Nope not changing lanes. Just trying to stop me from filtering. I even have my feet down right now that’s how slow I’m going.. ok whatever so I go behind the van and attempt to go around the left hand side. But nope the van intentionally steers up close to the barrier.

Ok. Fuck this. I go to go around again to the right and yup not letting me through. This is all below 5mph by the way. So Fuckit I go to my right another lane then cut up and I have to get a look at what kind of asshole would do this.. so I cut back across and there’s these two women. One holding an iPad screaming “were recoding. We’re recording!” With the window down. The driver is so angry for what reason. I don’t know, then the woman recording says “I’m going to post this!!!” With an angry tone. I flipped up my visor and looked at her with just confusion. I said “really?.... well, tag me bitch!” Then gave her the old two hand double coal stacks and then ripped out of there.. I must’ve been splitting lanes now for 20 minutes every other bike including air cooled stuff were just sitting there. I can’t do that. This is not why we ride motorcycles.

After multiple attempts at getting off the interstate and coming to more clogged side roads I finally made it to Roy WA and the roads were still jam packed all the way out here. It was brutal. I was taking any side street I could just to not be sitting finally had to stop for a piss break
    IMG_6525.jpg
  17. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah.. Sorry for the traffic Brotha! Welcome to Seattle. I should have been keeping track of ya I would have liked to see you through. You just passed by me. I'da split the traffic for you and shut the door on the ol' bitches in traffic. Cages are for angry people. Nice to see you back on the homeland. Cheers. Happy Travels!
    Swilling and jmacp19 like this.
  18. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your bad experience in Seattle. I split lanes here whenever I run into stop and go traffic. My record is when returning from the Oregon Coast last summer and splitting lanes from Olympia to Tacoma. Fuck the cages and their stop and go shit. Have a safe trip south.
    Swilling likes this.
  19. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shane!! on the home stretch now!!

Hopefully we’ll catch up over a beverage one day

S
    Swilling likes this.
  20. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All time report mate.
    Top stuff all the way through.

Too many favourite photos, anecdotes, adventures and roads.

Good onya