Coast to Coast - Take 2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Saltheman, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Alpine, TX tonight. Fork seal is leaking a bit so gonna give her the old seal mate treatment as previously rendered.

Hill country was gorgeous. Medina highway and the three sisters were AWESOME roads. But lord today was windy and it shook me and the bike mid-corner leading to some not-so-fun moments.

Texas is beautiful though, wow.

Big bend tomorrow. Gonna be there for two nights now...*rubs hands*

Attached Files:

joenuclear, SoPaRider, dedman and 4 others like this.
  2. st2sam

st2sam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far so good. :thumbup
    What kind of temps are you riding in? (looks cold?)

Thanks for the updates Sal, keep'm coming.
  3. Milqman

Milqman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man. It was a treat having you but now I've got the bug and have been thinking about all the new trips I want to plan.

Extremely jealous of the part your approaching. Such cool scenery ahead.
    Car3845, dedman and Dao1 like this.
  4. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big bend national park was off the chain! Views were staggering and river road was a ripped page out of a fantasy book. The road and scenery was appauling.

Slipped into mexico as well per calamari kid's recommendation up to canon de pugues. Views are just as staggering.

Planned on staying here for two nights but think imma head to el paso tomorrow since milqman convinced me to go to oregon. Hell, considering just going to Washington state at this point.

Attached Files:

5. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you stick to the pacific side its not bad, be aware most of the main roads coming in to the northwest come through high passes.. So ice and snow.. And helatious wind. Stay south in CA to the ocean then turn north,, roughly 1500 miles of wet coastal highway twisties.. :) But you can dodge the ice with care..

Its winter up here.. That means wet.. coastal mountains and inner mountain ranges are
    still getting snow pops down below 1500 ft.

Oregon coast campgrounds are frequent and you can get a Yurt or cabin at many.. Bookable online.
  6. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip pdx. I was looking at hwy 30 coming out of Portland. Runs alongside a river
    Northstar Beemer likes this.
  7. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TX118 north of Fort Davis was an awesome send off to Texas. El Paso is extremely beautiful and seems heavily influenced by latino culture.

In new mexico tuhday! Going to morenci, AZ tomorrow via Gila national park.

Oh, also stayed in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in big bend. Super isolated yet super quiet and beautiful. Had an awesome view of the full moonlight

I think I'll be skipping the grand canyon though. Not willing to subject myself to more sub freezing riding. N

Attached Files:

8. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed this. Early in the trip it was probably in the mid to low 40s.

Now it's mid 50s and up. Western Texas and Southern New Mexico are warm. 60s and up.

You still need your winter gear, but maybe just gloves, base layer, and scarf.

Haha it was a ball man. That plane ride was sweet!

You should steal my route down to Big Bend. It's plenty entertaining and in your neck of the woods.

Unless you want to do the perimeter of the US again!
    Milqman likes this.
  9. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    30 is a good drive coming in from the West/coast, your pretty much along the Columbia has the least amount of altitude (Almost none to deal with) It nice wide 2 lane most of the way goes 4 lane the last 10 miles or so..

I-5 is a horrible snoozer.. Flat straight occasional views but nothing awesome. (except for the southern 100 miles its full of steep passes from Cali border to Myrtle Creek .. )

If you take the coast highway cali all the way to the Northern tip of Washington its epic coast ,, but mega wet and foggy, and the cold is wet,, lol did I mention its wet,, Olympic Peninsula gets 200 inches of rain in the Forks area per year.. basically it starts out fairly dry at CA and gets wetter as you go north, the trees along the cost high way help with the wind, but watch that..

Problem is your about 1.5 months early to Burn the north route from Oregon up through Washington through Idaho/Montana etc, or to do the border highway in Canada.. too much ice. North Cascades highway in WA is not usually open till March. Like a ride through the alps when it opens.
  10. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super you rode the right bike-Kudos to ya!
  11. james1001

james1001 Florida bound

Oddometer:
    Sal, I live in Rocksprings, Texas, so if you need a place to stay message me. You will like "The Three Sisters" ride.
  12. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today started out sucking ass big time. Got to alpine, az and was caught in a snow storm. Dropped the bike and had to make my way back through gila national forest. But then took AZ78 ans my goodness it was phenomenal! And ended the day with c5dad with a tour through a mining field + Coronado trail.

Want to take this moment and give a shout out to all the advrider that have been kind enough to host me

Brian W. In Jacksonville
    Cbrown in New Orleans
    Calamarikid or Charles in Spring
    And of course C5dad or Chris in Morenci. This is an interesting city with a gorgeous landscape too.

The further west we go, the better it gets

Attached Files:

13. C5dad

C5dad Man on the Run!

Oddometer:
    Sal (saltheman) has been a pleasure to have over. His stories are great and the video of the snow in Alpine is epic. He will be always welcome in my spare room.
    BigEbusa and Milqman like this.
  14. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Behold

Dao1, Ginger Beard, Milqman and 3 others like this.
  15. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy crap Sal!
  16. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow I hope you are ok.
  17. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the clutch survive unscathed?
  18. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the great times as a kid riding a dirt bike in the snow. Street bike with slicks, not so much...
  19. Milqman

Milqman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sal you're a maniac, in a good way, but still a maniac. I thought you were hugging the border all the way to Cali. A sunny 70 in Tuscon and Phoenix. But no - I check the thread and you're doing some Lord of the rings ride through the damn snowy mountains
    Saltheman and BigEbusa like this.
  20. Saltheman

Saltheman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morenci -

Chris was a gracious host and put my mind at ease allowing me to leave late so I could work on the bike before heading to Tucson. I was reluctant to leave because I was comfortable, but also the show had to go on.

The ride to Tucson was stable but complimented with a nice view of Mt. Graham and a meal at Miss Saigon, per chris's recommendation.

Attached Files: