Coast to Coast USA - advice please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EXRM193, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Brooklyn Rob

Brooklyn Rob Do'h!

Oddometer:
    Pee before you start.
  2. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many do not realize when you say two weeks you are really limited to two week. For most of our vacations are specifically limited. When I first visited your country I drove from the London Heithro airport to Sheffield and had no clue how far it was....so I understand your not realizing the distances.

Realistically Orlando to Los Angeles (going thru a Grand Canyon, Colorado, Utah route ) is 7 days and 2,800 miles...riding reasonable hours and seeing minimal sites, and that is on the faster "boring Interstates", and THAT IS NOT INCLUDING TIME TO STOP AND TAKE IN THE SIGHTS.

That being said having only 10 days really limits your travels. There are things all over the USA to see, in every state but many are like our civil war, local geological sites that are probably not your first choice....but in my travels most international tourist are looking for the "American West" scenic sights (described above).

Without a doubt you will have to buzz thru some areas/our states to see the most scenic sights. If I were you I'd plan a route on one of the two main "boring" interstates and take in 4, 5 or 6 of our National Parks (ie: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Monument Valley, etc.) as side trips, and once you reach Arizona, Nevada, or Utah...know that you are roughly 3 days from Los Angeles airport.

One of the best maps you will find of our country is "MapQuest Trip Planner". One page for each state and it list all the scenic spots for each state and notes them on the map. Great map $7.95 at grocery stores or bookstores.

Best of luck and keep the rubber side down,
  3. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it worth going for a dump first as well?

If I have to "release the Chocolate hostage" en route, what facilities can I expect?

Will I be autographing my underwear for the whole trip?
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well ,Jamie you go boy!!! I vote for seeing something even if its only a few things real!!! I am the guy with the head up his arse? whatever an arse is... And,for a person from Atlanta , GA to be such a widely traveled person, and then to specifically state that GA(which is not my home area BTW) has nothing to see?What about the north Ga mtns, are they ugly or what???I am confused for certain. I think this thread has digressed from its original purpose of giving advice to some UK travelers that want to avoid 2/3 of the USA while travelling its 3000K breadth , as quickly as possible, at least for the first 2000k,with the possible exception of Daytona and then to do the Grand Canyon , if we think its worth it?Wow what a trip!And then a few other western possibilities into a where is the best place to go/see in the whole USA at the fastest possible pace. I am seeing this take place as well:a reflection of what we read in bike magazine trip articles all to often,"just because you are on a bike it is all about the bike and the trip becomes not so important? I have a T-shirt that says in German"the road is the way" but believe me that's not the way I choose to travel! I love bikes and have ridden for a long , long time, but also know that if you don't take in what an area offers, your'e missing much. One of my favorite bike writers , Clement Salvatorie is even somewhat guilty of this when he writes about "carving canyons" vs. , walking in them(of course he is a bike writer).
    To come all the way to the USA and only ride interstates is a wasted vacation. There is much opportunity in a two week trip across the country to see and do a few things along the way! Our British friends asked for zero advice about most of the country and I forsee a shallow trip based on their stated interests, so be it what it is, come and then tell everybody back in jolly old England what a great time you had! You have the same internet that we are all using, except yopu are not using it. Too much snow here or I would be on the road south and not playing the curmugeon role!!!:asshat
  6. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. EXRM193,,, First off let me say welcome to the USA,, hope you have a wonderful visit. as for the beauty and vastness of our homeland, it will be difficult to see it all. you will experience many sights, some good, some not so good, the short time you have and the distance you plan to cover will be a real challange. I have lived here for 72 years, minus several years I lived in the middle east, eastern europe, western europe, etc., have traveled all 48 states many times, much of it on motorcycles, all the advice you have received here is very valid. remember every one has a differing opinion based on their life experience and travel. You just come here, start your journey, as one fellow said, don't rush through some of the most beautiful places in hopes to see it all. I live in the southwest and yes we have many beautiful sights, long desert highways and twisty mountain roads second to none, but if I were you I would not discount the fantastic sections of our east,,,ie Tennessee, Arkansas, where I sometims ride my motorcycle not only for the twisties but to meet the people of these great places...enjoy your trip, don't travel so fast that you miss something along the way...Yes, I still ride,,
  7. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I`m sure it will be a great trip. Our only limitation is time & the amount of bottles we can throw at bands in Redneck bars:D:freaky

I`ll keep you posted as to the route we choose.
    Bikes are going to be 2 x Electra Glides & 2 x Road KIngs. Are there any tips you can pass on for doing distance on these things. I owned a couple of Harleys 15 years ago, but never did great distance on them, I was more into tuning and customisation at the time.

For those that don`t know what an "Arse" is, please have a look at the attachment.:lol3

Attached Files:

8. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That picture, I might observe, gives every appearance of being a Florida Democratic voter, circa US election year 2000. :lol3

:hide
  9. Brooklyn Rob

Brooklyn Rob Do'h!

Oddometer:
    We have plenty of woods. Just carry a roll of t.p., and America can be your toilet!
    You've many options should you find yourself scraping cotton. Finding an appealling one is all part of the fun.
    Rob