COBDR North-to-South with KTM 690 Enduro R's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by surferbum, Aug 23, 2019.

1. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
  2. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Moving to NM in a week and thinking of getting a 690 to do some BDRs.
  3. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Owned a BMW R 1200 GS for 4 years, 20K+ miles road it on/off-pavement plus took numerous, quality off-road classes over my ownership. After my wife decided no longer to go on these adventures, I sold it and bought the 690. Riding it for 5 years and feel for me that it's the perfect motorcycle for BDR-like riding.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  4. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Have updated my kit:

Out goes the Stalwart 2" x 15' Heavy Duty Nylon Tow Strap
    (10000 lb. test - 6oz 9"x3"x2")

In goes the Buddy Tow 1" x 12' nylon tow strap
    (1785 lb. test - 3.2 oz 6"x2.7"x0.7")

This Buddy Tow worked perfectly.

IMG_5094.JPG
  5. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looks like you guys skipped the passes in the San Juans (Cinnamon, Engineer, Ophir, ...) Was that because of the conditions around Animas Forks and the passes?

We're renting 690 Enduros in a few weeks and packing for a week of camping. I don't own a 690 and would love to hear of your packing tips to keep from burning my bags?
    surferbum likes this.
  7. surferbum

Oddometer:
    Talked about it some in the report. The passes were declared open (from mud slides, etc) a couple of days before we were scheduled to traverse them. This traversal would have occurred on our fourth and fifth (final day). One of the guys had a hard deadline finish date so that was the deciding factor in skipping those. Another significant factor was that one of the bikes had become unreliable too.
  8. surferbum

Oddometer:
    There's an entire thread (maybe more) on packing but expect you're already aware of this. If you want the lightest then stay in motels so you avoid tents, etc. (and most food and cooking equipment). Camping & food is binary in that it's 10 lbs or 0 lbs. This BDR route needs little in the way of extra gas or water so minimalist in those areas. As always extra clothes are seldom needed.

As far as the 690 specifics, I use a rack/soft bags on mine and minimize weight on/above the seat-level. I have the stock muffler/CAT converter and have never had a problem (16K miles). Keep things tight with no bungee cables (only straps) and that's worked so far.
    lanztek likes this.
  9. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. My plan is to carry Wolfman Rocky Mtn soft bags on racks and a dry bag/duffle with all my camping gear on the seat/rack. All the heavy stuff is in the bottom of the soft panniers. I was more asking if there's a trick or a particular problem to solve on the exhaust side if I'm using racks with soft bags. I'm a pretty experienced adv rider (the full TAT, SEAT, TET-S, Alaska, etc) but the closest I've ever been to a 690 enduro is seeing one at a motorcycle show so your photos of cooked luggage intrigued me. We're renting the bikes in Durango. Anywho, it sounds like if I just load them on the racks properly, my stuff will survive the ride.
    surferbum likes this.