COBDR on Africa Twins.. Video With Drone Footage

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danmcc6, Nov 8, 2019.

1. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eight Day trip from Tulsa to Colorado.. (COBDR) and Back... Epic Adventure, Unreal Landscape

Made a video of the middle 5 days on the COBDR.

IMG_1502.jpg IMG_2258.jpg IMG_2229.jpg IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Any issues with the Drone i.e. drone storage/access/protection?
    Assuming you had it in the top bag of the Mosko Moto setup.
    Just ordered the MM 80 for my AT and thinking can ditch the tank bag and put the Mavic Pro2 in the duffle.
  3. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No issues, as you guessed, stored in top bag. I did make a hard shell case for the drone. The case also serves as a nice launch pad. My only regret was not taking more drone footage. When you are having a blast riding, and don't know how many hours before you make it to a good stopping point, I just didn't want to take the time to unpack and launch the drone. I used a DJI Mavic Air... thanks for watching... Dan
  4. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Really do have to force yourself to film with it.
    I grew adept at launching and recovering by hand. Figure it would be easier on the props.
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Will ditch tank bag for next ride once I get the Mosko Moto 80.
  5. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome video and pictures!
    Nice work!
    I'm looking forward to riding more of the BDR sections.
  6. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for watching... I too would love to do more BDR sections.
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  7. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you able to ride the entire BDR or did you have to bypass some sections on the big bikes?
    I ride a Tenere ES and did the MABDR this year and would love to do one of the western BDR's in 2020
  8. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We only turned around on one pass... Ophir. it was our first day, and we forgot to air down our tires. Talked to several big bikes coming the other way who recommended we turn around. Going up, we just were not getting traction. I'm sure there are thousands of people on this forum who've could have done it on the big bikes. We just weren't there yet. Would like another shot at it someday. (for what it is worth, I'm told Ophir was worse this year than it has been in a long time)... In any case, I think you should be fine on all the rest of the COBDR on the Tenere. There are a few hill climbs between Ophir and Lake City that are quite challenging, but we both made it up the rest.
    Skunk-Works and Pepperlady like this.
  9. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great video!! Those drone shots were gorgeous!!

We did Ophir Pass from East to West on August 24th of this year, too. @Thinwater was on his RE Himilalyan and I was on a Honda CRF250L. The rock slide made it the hardest part of our TAT trip. I cannot imagine doing it West to East either. I think you made a wise choice. It was the only time that I questioned what I had gotten myself into :knary
  10. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Sounds like we did the right thing. We were certainly wondering if the rest of the trip was going to be like that. Thanks for watching.
    Thinwater and Pepperlady like this.
  11. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a tip on the video editing side of things, your headcam footage jumps back and forth from 16:9 to 4:3 and back a few times. If you are able to set which format to use in the video editing software try to use the same format for the whole video, makes things a bit less jarring.

Ophir is definitely the most technical portion of the COBDR when ridden West to East. Looking forward to taking it on again in August.
  12. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which bIke had the edge in the rougher stuff, the AT or the ATAS?
  13. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We actually had 3 camera's... The drone and my gopro 3 were in widescreen, the gopro 7 was not :(. Lesson learned, double check all settings on all cameras before starting. I had a few choices once the damage was done, chop the widescreen stuff, not use the gopro 7 footage, or just live with the frames when using the 7's shots.... I obviously chose the later. Thanks for watching...
  14. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neither bike had any mechanical failures of any kind. Both bikes were equipped with Outback Motortek crash bars, which held up extremely well on several low speed drops. I rode the ATAS exclusively so I can't say if the slightly smaller lighter 2016 would have been a benefit, I had no complaints. My friend on the 2016 did complain about the the suspension quite a bit. Especially on sections like hagerman pass, which were miles of "chop". He will be upgrading his suspension before our next adventure, I won't be changing anything on the ATAS. (It should be noted that neither of us are amazing riders, just a couple of guys that drive a desk for a living)
    Pepperlady and AZMtnRider like this.
  15. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep it sucks when you download everything and find that out. One thing you can do if the video editing software you use allows is to stretch the 4:3 footage to 16:9 and use it that way. GoPro "superview" is exactly that, 4:3 stretched to widescreen to give a more expansive view. Great trip, glad you both had fun!
    Pepperlady likes this.
  16. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You already answered by question about the crash bars...thanks....

They look awesome....

but I've got a few more....

1) Are the crash bars easy to install, or do you have to remove a lot from the bike to do so?
    2) With the crash bars in place, can you still remove the panels that needed to be removed to access the air filters?
    3) I like your buddies set up....no top box, no mounts...just 2 dry bags from SW Motech? What sizes? Love the minimalistic approach! Which straps did he use to keep them on the bike, and what did he connect to (the factory grab handles)?
    4) What Tires and Tubes did you run? You said zero issues, so I assume you mean zero flats as well.

Awesome shots. Thanks for taking the time to create and share.