COBDR on Africa Twins.. Video With Drone Footage

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danmcc6, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loved your video and rr. Like others have
    Pics & video of Co never get old.
    danmcc6 likes this.
  2. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more questions (sorry), as I am overthinking this as usual. Maybe this will help others as well.

1) Section #2 appears to be "Telluride to Lake City", with options (see below). There appears to be an "Easy" way that goes from Ouray to Lake City, but is much longer (in green). Even though the "official" track doesn't even go through Ouray. Which did you take? Which way do you recommend? The site's description of this section is this....

The ride from Ouray to Lake City covers incredible terrain over Corkscrew Pass, California Pass, and Cinnamon Pass. Expect to take the better part of a day to explore this area. There will more than enough excuses to stop for a photo and wander around historic mining towns.

Which route includes all these passes? The Easy Route, or the Blue Route? It's hard to tell since the Blue route doesn't even go through Ouray.

COBDR - Lake City Options.JPG

2) The next place for options is before you get to Buena Vista. It appears you have 3 options, Blue, Green, Red (expert). Which did you take? How expert is the expert route? Map section below....

COBDR - Buena Vista Options.JPG

3) The COBDR appears to just sort of end at a T intersection just inside of Wyoming. Kind of an anti-climatic finish. Did you take it all the to the end? I'm sort of a rule follower, so even though it looks a little unnecessary, I would be inclined to finish it.

COBDR - End.JPG

4) Back to Telluride: The section 1 description from the site includes this...

While the official route takes off on a dirt road just before the town of Telluride, consider riding through the historic downtown and up to Bridal Veil Falls.

Is the red dotted line below the track to Bridal Veil Falls?

Telluride Spur.JPG
  3. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for all the input.

I will be pressed for time too. One of the biggest logistical issues is that I live in Illinois. So I'm thinking of driving out with the bike in the truck, park near the start, ride it, and then quickly get back to the truck. I'm thinking Dolores might be the best spot to unload, and sort of have to do an out and back to the 4 corners to start the ride.
  5. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    If you had to guess, how much of the route is sand/sandy? I 'm violently allergic to sand riding :jack
  6. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going go guess 2% sand....Sand conditions are subjective and subject to change. If you really want to avoid the bulk of the sand... On section 5, instead of following the route north of I70 where the gps tells you, go a few more miles west and turn north on Colorado river road. it is very scenic, you won't miss that much and the sand section you will be missing dumps out onto river road anyway. You won't have to do anything to rejoin the route. I've done the COBDR twice... skipped the sand the 2nd time to make it easier on a new rider I was with. Did not feel cheated.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  7. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    @danmcc6

Me again!

Bad news...COBDR isn't in the books for this year.

Good news....4 of us are trucking our bikes to Colorado for a weeks worth of riding!!!!

I can't convince the other 3 to do the COBDR, but realistically, we only have a week, and are coming from Chicagoland/NW Indiana. It's very tough to do a "line" (versus a loop) ride in the time we have.

So, the plan is to get to Colorado in late August (looking like the evening 27th), and to start our adventure on Saturday August 28. After that it's a bit of a white page....we are going to meet tomorrow for some planning. We will probably park the trucks somewhere SW of Denver, and then live off the bikes for a week, get back to the trucks and drive home.

We all want to hit up the Alpine Loop Area, and might stay in Ouray for a night or two to hit up the following passes....

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5286478.pdf

Day 1: Ouray to Animas Forks to Lake City via Cinnamon Pass, Lake City back to Animas Forks via Engineer Pass, back to Ouray
    Day 2 (Option 1): Ouray to Telluride via Imogene Pass, Telluride to Ophir to Ophir Pass to 550 back to Ouray.
    Day 2 (Option 2): Ouray to 550 to Black Bear Pass to Telluride. Telluride to Ophir to Ophir Pass to 550 back to Ouray.

Thoughts on the above?

In this area, any other "must do's"?

Then after this area, what other parts of Colorado should we do?

Thanks
  8. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Walter, what is the skill level of those going on this trip?
  9. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not live in Colorado, so I'm not the best person to answer this. If you're on big bikes, you will need to be pretty good riders to do black bear and some of the others you've mentioned. I would look up Yankee Boy Basin... it's pretty epic.

Good luck on your trip.

Dan
  10. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    That's tough to judge. We've got 3 in their 40's and 50s and one who is in his 20s. All have been riding since they were in their early teens. The best guy raced MX. I'm probably the least skilled....but I make up for that by riding a CRF250L vs a big bike and going slow. I've been riding since my teens (I'm 51 now)...almost exclusively dirt for most of those years, but I'm still not great...always took it slow, and never really jump much higher than a foot in the air. I would call myself a very low Intermediate level rider. On a blind riding date...I would be described as having a great personality!!! :jack

#FatGuyonaLittleBike

Are you going to warn me about Big Bear and Ophir?

ps. I can't ride sand. And have no desire to learn how.
  11. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to warn about black bear, yes. I haven’t done it, since it has always been snowed in, but this year I did come off 550 with the intent to go up as far as I could. It quickly got too steep for me to do alone.

Ophir is one of my very favorite rides in that area but I would never attempt it west to east due to a stretch of loose chunk rock near the top. East to west you can get through it by going slow. Great ride. Maybe do Ouray to Ophir to Imogene to Ouray? I never did Imogene due to it always being snowed in when I was there so can’t comment on it.

I tried lower mineral to Engineer and just about burned out my clutch. Way too many big rocks to get over or around. Wasn’t much fun at all on a big bike. Go to silverton and to Animus Forks that way.

As mentioned above, Yankee Boy and Governors Basin are great rides....go as far as you are comfortable and turn around if you have to. The Brooklynns is a great ride. Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road (another way back to Ouray from Telluride).

Lots to ride in that area and all is scenic. My riding there has been on a KLR one trip and an ATAS two trips.
  12. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from riding everything you have listed except Engineer and Imogene. My only goal was to do Black Bear. Everything else was just a warm up/shake down as this was my first time riding my ATAS on anything more challenging than just a dirt road. I did everything other than Black Bear backwards as I was alone and didn't have any advanced knowledge of the trails and routes. I went where the locals I met told me to go - i.e. "go down the road till you see a mound with mailboxes and go left..." This was great and I'm not going to list the roads I took, because they were the only portions of this trip were I was the only motorcycle on the road. No out of town traffic other than a few locals.
    I rode from KY to Denver overnight - day one. Got a new front tire and a good night's sleep before riding up to Breckenridge with a buddy, then down to around Tin Cup on day two. Next was Pitkin to BV by way of dirt, Lake City and then up Cinnamon, California, Corkscrew and all that into Ouray on day three and then Black Bear on day four. The afternoon of day four was rain, rain and more rain. Day five I rode to Marble to see Crystal Mill. I was so tired I didn't even try to ride up it as it was raining off and on and the first couple miles up there were wet and muddy. I hate mud. I could have done it, and I'll go back and do it one day. The hardest part for me was having to hold my bike on the trails due to traffic. I'm only 5'4" and have no way of putting both feet down. My biggest problem, other than traffic, was I had the rear ABS off, but left traction control set at 3. There were some sections - steep sections- where that sucked. Really F'ing sucked! When I did Black Bear I was the first up to avoid having to stop for traffic. I was really tired, so I hung out at the top for an hour before starting down. For me, going down fast made it easier, but my lack of experience meant I was focused on the trail 100% of the time. I watch videos of guys talking about being afraid of the edge, heights and whatever. I never noticed any of that because the only thing I was afraid of was having to pick 600lbs worth of loaded ATAS up by myself. I rode the outside edge most of the time because it was usually the cleanest line. I wish I had video so I could see if I really was going down Black Bear as fast as I felt I was. I flew down the steps and the sections before them. If I could do it, anyone could - if they had a DCT ATAS. I credit the bike more than any skill on my part. The suspension really got a work out on the steps and the two rocky sections before them. I felt like I was on a mechanical bull and knew getting thrown off was not an option. The rest of day five went into the 24 hour ride home from Marble. I left at 6pm mountain time and got back to KY at about 7pm central time. I could have stayed a couple more days in CO, but I did what I went there to do and I had had enough of being cold, wet, dirty and dog tired. My camps consisted of my bike, a hammock and a tarp. So, your day one sounds good and I'd do option two on day two. Campday1.jpg Crystalmill1a.jpg
  13. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Mavic 2 Zoom and some Gopros, but never attempted to use them. It was just the trails, the bike and me like it ought to be.