COBDR/UTBDR Parking auto & trailer for a few weeks?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Thunder-dog, May 12, 2021.

1. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a loop encompassing the CO & UT BDRs and wondering if someone can suggest a place to park my vehicle & trailer? I'm coming from Atlanta area and thinking Durango, CO has a good number of "self storage" places. I parked at Charlie's in Caralsbad two years ago for the NMBDR and it worked out great. Good price, fenced, felt my stuff was safe. Any suggestions?
  2. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Bird bait Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 Step Hideaway, maybe.
    eakins likes this.
  3. rdw

rdw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the past I've contacted the police, let them know what I was planning and asked if they would mind if I left my rig in their parking lot. Out of 4 police stations I got 4 "yes's". They will probably want you to check in with them and give them a copy of your drivers lic./id. when you drop off your rig.
  4. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    3 Step and police station, GOOD suggestions. Thanks guys! I have some planning to do!
  5. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do you plan on starting the trip? How long do you think it would take you?
  6. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    First option is end of June/first wk in July in Utah, CO after that. 2-3 wks total. (Just want to have fun, see the scenery, don't have any time constraints!) When?? I need major surgery on a wrist and it may take 3-4 months to get back on a bike IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL! So my dilemma is do I do it now and put up with the pain and take LOTS of ibuprofen or do the surgery soon and hope it heals in time for me to do option 2, Aug/Sept.
  7. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ideas notes above. I'll throw one more into the mix... Regional airports. I've parked at Cedar City airport for a week. Often these small regional airports have free long-term parking lots. Usually not fenced-in, but there is typically some degree of security on site. They often have adjacent dirt over-flow lots where workers, firefighters, etc park their bigger rigs for extended periods while they are away on work assignments. I don't know the Durango Airport, but it is a small regional airport that might have some opportunities.
    ghetto johnny likes this.
  8. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Worth checking out. Thanks!
  9. ghetto johnny

ghetto johnny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohio/West Virginia (Clark County-Fayette)
    A couple of years ago, a group of us did the CO BDR and TAT Trails from Ohio and Trailered our bikes (650cc single cylinders and 17 Hours of Highway don't mix) to Colorado and parked at a Airport Long Term Parking($7 a day). For $35 we had a Secured Parking Lot for the Truck and Trailer.
    Now that I'm on a Bigger Bike, we may just Ride the Bikes there next time.
    Just my $.02 Cents.
  10. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="
    Now that I'm on a Bigger Bike, we may just Ride the Bikes there next time.
    Just my $.02 Cents.[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to decide which bike to ride (solo). I love my 990 BUT it's a handful to pickup even on good flat ground. My new to me 640 is over 100# lighter but no way I'd want to ride it to Colorado from Atlanta. Actually, it's almost 1700 miles with lots of X-ways and I wouldn't ride any motorcycle that distance. Just did a 235mi ride on the 640 last Sunday with a mix of ORV park "trails", gravel, back roads & county roads. I "think" I want to take the 640!
  11. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend and I parked my truck and trailer at the trinidad sheriffs department , it was very secured and they didn't mind at all. We left it there for over a month when we did the cdt , IBDR,UTBDR in 2018
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  13. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Lots of options here. eakins, never heard of Craig, CO til now but that could be an option, maybe drive to there and start at the top of UT then S to N for CO?? I have some concern over the temps in UT being up to 107F ten days out. I won't do that! Hope it settles down; I'm good for 90 or so but that's about my limit. Also, I can camp but prefer it to be 70 or less. At least the bike's taken shape! Pretty much settled on my new to me '07 640 Adv. for the trip due to the weight. One little mud nap with my 990 on the NMBDR two years ago cost me about an hour to unload, pick up, rest, walk it to some solid ground, re-load, rest, etc.
  14. DRAgentOrange

DRAgentOrange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, this is some really helpful thinking!Some buddies and I are riding the UTBDR in Sept and are trailering bikes to Mexican Hat and riding north. Need to park the truck at the North end of UTBDR and this gives me some good ideas. Any other ideas around Bear Lake at the north end of UT?
  15. MTShooter

MTShooter n00b

Oddometer:
    @DRAgentOrange - I'm a bit south of Bear Lake in Eden, UT, not far from the connection to Curtis Creek Rd. to finish off the northern section to Bear Lake. I'd think you could find something up by Bear Lake, but you're welcome to park at my house if you can't find any better options, or either way. I have two trailers always parked in my shop driveway -- small, safe town. You could also loop back from Bear Lake from Meadowville, up Temple Canyon and connect over to Ant Flat Rd. for a slightly different route back south through Cache National Forest, still staying mostly on dirt.

@Thunder-dog - Not sure if you made your trip already or not, but same goes.

Something approximately like this (reverse direction from the picture):

Utah BDR North.PNG
  16. DRAgentOrange

DRAgentOrange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MTshooter, Thanks man, that's an awesome offer. I will check out to see if we can hit something closer to bear lake, but if we can't I will let you know, I'd love to take you up on it. Thanks for the hospitality! We are headed back to Oregon after, so if we can finish at the North end and head out that is probably ideal, but we'll see what develops.
    Cheers!
  17. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    It might not be free, but the KOA in Garden City has a storage lot out back. They might be able to secure your truck for a fee. There are a bunch of other RV parks around the area that might be willing to help you guys out for a small fee.

The Garden City town offices occupy this large old hotel complex just a block up from the lake on 89... they have a huge and largely empty parking lot. I'd be willing to bet that they would let you park there for free if you ask. I think local LEOs are based out of there, so probably pretty safe!
  18. DRAgentOrange

DRAgentOrange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bullseye, thanks man, I'll check that out!
  19. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lately I've been thinking about linking together some western BDRs into a big loop so I really hope you post a ride report at some point. I'm curious to see how long it takes you and what tracks you use to link the two BDRs at top and bottom.

Good luck!
  20. DRAgentOrange

DRAgentOrange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Txmxrider- That sounds like a great idea! We are actually starting at Flagstaff and riding the last 2 legs of the AZBDR and then linking in to the Utah BDR. We anticipate 8 days of ridng but I will post a ride report. The BDR website actually has connector routes between most of the Western BDRs on their website!