Coddiwomplin' and sniffin the corn A WEE RT Story

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdfog2, Aug 14, 2021.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I know you all must like good stories and good pictures because I do and that's mostly what draws me here to this site.

There may be a shortage of both in this thread at the beginning (and the middle and end for that matter) but I'll try.

A little setup or "background" as some call it.
    I've had as VStrom 650 AKA "Wee Strom" AKA World's Best Ever Motorcycle - anyhow, I've had one since 2012 that I bought as a left over "new" 2011.

It's the white one. As you all know, or are about to find out, when it comes to Wees, the WHITE ONES ARE THE FASTEST ! ! ! (The science is settled, no need for internety kinda fightin about it ladies and gents)

As my way too seldom riding buddy (but more frequent back and forth banter on this forum buddy) Joel claims, I like to "wick it up" a bit at times.

Well, when you have a Weeeeee Strom wicking it up is a requirement.

In fact, it's right there in the User's Manual in red print at the start:
    "Notes before use, READ THIS before starting your fine Suzuki Machine." Directly after that it says "WEEEEE Strom Riders - just go ahead and wick it up. Don't worry about reading the rest of this booklet. GO FORTH AND WICK!" (I paraphrased it to keep it simple.)

Pretty sure most Wee Strom guys and gals will say I'm lying. But hardly any of them read it. Well, amongst the few that can actually read that is.

So anyway, I've been "wicking" for quite some time and just generally enjoying myself and the wickcellence of the Wee.

EXCEPT. I didn't get too darn excited about trying to pass a Semi Truck at 80MPH on the Interstate in the wind. (Some of you may have heard the WEE - especially the original generation ("Suzukas WeeBestus Motorradis" for you fly tying guys and Medical School students) has some "wind" issues.

So - I kinda decided a few years ago to save some money for my "next" motorcycle. I was pretty sure it was going to be something like a BMW RT/RS/ or one of those weird fared K models. Or, an FJR / FJ09 / Concours / Honda ST kinda bike. To be honest, I was pretty sure that the Suzuki Bandit was my girl but it just didn't seem to be a good fit. (I'm what YOU might call a "bigger fella." I'd just call me a fatso - all the nice people say "oh, but you carry it well." ) Ha. Whatevah Trevor

Going a bit back in time I actually had my eye on 1100 and 1150 RTs (and K1200/1300s) well before I bought the VStrom and I thought I'd end up on one of those or a 1200 when I was in the shopping process. But the Wee Abides! (Oh, keep your train of thought JD, stay on task.)

Anyway, I have a friend in real life that doesn't hang out on this forum. But he does put a lot of miles on Motorcycles. Like a few hundred thousand. He's one of those Rally and Iron Butt gents.
    Let's just call him Bud - short for "buddy." So Bud and I worked together for years and he kept telling me how great his BMWs were. I kept my mouth shut mostly. But he knew I liked RTs. Or, I THOUGHT I liked RTs.

Then I shopped for a motorcycle and of course the force of the Wee captured me. And it's been years of Wee wedded bliss.

Fast forward a few years and he says to me one day over the phone - he says - "JDFog2, Rider of the Realm of the Wee! I have a friend in my club that has an RT that's for sale - and I think he's willing to make you a deal because I've regaled him for years with stories of how much you (think) you love RTs."

Well, heck. I may be married to a Wee but maybe it was indeed time for some motopolygamy in my life. (The story my wife heard was "you will sell the Wee after you make sure the RT is a good fit, right?") I never murmured such blasphemy, I can assure you friends! (Don't check my old posts though ;) )

So - making this a bit shorter - I bought the RT, rode it home in late Feb of this year (yes, it WAS Cold in Central Indiana, thank you for asking) and we've been getting acquainted ever since. And the Wee with her Svelte little figure and soft bags has tolerated this so long as she gets her nights out as well. (She does keep telling me "Just you wait, that fat ass RT girl is gonna leak all over the garage some day. They all do, just you wait and see !" ) I have to walk a fine line around the garage folks, it's not easy I promise you.

Ok - there's gonna be a lot more (shorter writing - You're welcome in advance) to come in future posts with MOAR pics - because I know you all love pics. I have attached one just to act as "click bait" :)

6_E.jpg

Next post I'll attempt to more better explain, "What is that Coddiwomple anyway ?"
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the "Womp" (CoddiWOMPle that is)

Even before becoming a "Be Mostly Worried" owner I like to read the BMWMOA Magazines my buddy "Bud" would bring in for me.
    So naturally I joined up as soon as I became an owner. I mean, it's a BMW Motorcycle, I'm an Owner, they have an Association. Well, you see how that works.

So I joined and not much later on I started seeing info about this Coddiwomple thing. I read up on that - saw it was FREE for members (That's me - all about FREE!) So of course (again "naturally" ) I signed up and here we are.

There's info you can google about the "BMWMOA Coddiwomple" if you seek the full truth (why bother with THAT though?) :)

The basic premise is - "you (Member) go ride around. We'll give that some structure so you have a purpose" (as opposed to just mindlessly Wandering around Indiana (those BMWMOA folks don't know)- that's what WE DO in Indiana! Heck, I am pretty sure I've even heard that somewhere or seen it on a license plate or something I think).

wander.jpg

Anyway, back to our story. . .

The simplest explanation is that you go to "Places" and take a photo with a Numbered "Flag" they send you (A sheet of Mylar/Tyvek printed with a number and a Coddiwomple emblem.

You have to show your bike, your flag, and a "place" sign / Post Office window, etc. in the pic. And the place has to be an official place.
    "Number 1 China Buffet" for example may be a place to you and I and other fine diners but NOT so to the BMWMOA people.
    Let's just say they're not blessed with discerning palates like us classy folk.

So you get the idea - a place is like an "official" PLACE. Not a place with private ownership but a GEOGRAPHICAL place. (Sorry for the caps, I suspect you get it now) :)

So these places - they picked a slogan and you go get photos for each of the first letters in the slogan. And, there's other places to go to. More about that later.

This year the slogan is "Saddle Up And Ride" - so you'd spell out each of those letters with pics meeting the rules of places that start with all those letters.
    IF you want to be a "instant winner" you do that with each pic for each letter being from a different state. Yep, all 15 letters EACH from a different state.

If you're not quite so ambitous (like you need time to get a pedi every once in a while - or relax and drink beer) and don't want to do it by traveling all over 15 states then you are not an instant winner even when you get all 15 - but you're close. (That's worth 200 pts - you need 300 pts to finish)

So how do you get the other 100 pts you're asking? Simple. (Remember a bit ago I said "more about that later?" This is later....
    You go to other places that are in the theme of "Great Falls" (that's where they had the BMWMOA Rally a few weeks ago)

You can read all about it on the BMWMOA site but one example is... "A photo of a place with "Falls" in it's name" (including your bike and flag).
    You know, like a pic of Niagara Falls with your bike out front showing your number flag - there's other categories of pics that also will work and we'll talk more about those when I get some of them.

So as of this writing I have 11 of the 15 required photos collected (IF they accept all of mine- remember, there's rules!)
    I need 2 "D" places, 1 "E" place, and 1 "I" place - who knew - Indianapolis is the ONLY "I" place in Indiana that's at all close to where I live.

So in the next few posts I will tell a short bit about each letter place. Stay tuned !

Here's a couple of pics from a NON player location (Starts with an M which isn't in play but I always wanted to stop and check it out so. . .)

Montezuma Indiana in very near the Indiana/Illinois state line.
    It's also "On the banks of the Wabash" - which is "kinda a big deal" for those of you that aren't aware. (Not exactly sure WHY, but I've heard that for all of my 60 years so apparently it MUST be true?)

More importantly - it's pretty close to Dana, Indiana - which is one of the "D" places I was on my way to collect. More about Dana later. (Montezuma is shown where the red marker is - that says "Tasty Freeze" - MY maps "may be predisposed" to point out such important geographic POIs.

zuma.JPG

Without further ado - Montezuma! The Post Office.
    Montezuma_PO.jpg

Impressive, right! ?

(If you think I am NOT impressed you'd be wrong - I love small towns! " I was born in a small town"...oh, that guy is from Indiana too - maybe we'll visit his area later in our story )

And I kinda forgot to mention I HATE cities - HATE... the only thing pretty much I HATE - cities. (Oh boy, here he goes!)
    As you'll see as our plot unfolds. I won't be "hatin" but I won't give any love to cities except - I have to find an "I" place that isn't "Indianapolis" if I want to avoid any big cities in my list.)
    Spoiler alert: I work there - so I have to go there - which is maybe why I HATE cities! ?

I tried to get an "I" photo from there already - but the only "Indianapolis" signs I have seen require a stop on the Interstate or on a busy secondary highway - kinda unsafe...and maybe highly frowned upon. I rode around the Indianapolis Airport a few times last weekend trying to find an "Official" sign - One says "Welcome to Indianapolis - Mayor (His name shall not be repeated)" but it's in the exit lanes of the arrival road - again not safe. (My plan is to go to the Indianapolis Zoo (visit family and get a sign photo) ;) - OR - lump it and go to the downtown Post Office and take a pic (I have this thing about cities though.) (They suck!)

So back to Montezuma - it's apparently always been a pretty small town but it has some neat buildings - or some buildings that once were neat. Only a few.
    This is a neat theater - next to it was a neat Hotel, apparently pretty fancy way back when according to a lady I talked to while looking around.

Montezuma_Maybe.jpg
  3. Geschift

Geschift Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure know how to tell a story.
    It’s like meeting up in reallife and having a nice chat :-)
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thank you very much !

I suspect my friend "the Professor" will think differently but he's such a kind and easy going fella that he'll look the other way.
    My application of the English language is definitely not up to academic standards. But you know what - I am 60 years old and I am most likely DONE with school. (Not to say that learning isn't a lifetime long endeavor - if IS indeed! Stop learning, stop growing is how I look at it. . .)

Back to our story
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It begins - S (1)

SADDLE UP AND RIDE !

Capture of each letter/destination is not necessarily in chronological order. In this case this was the 2nd place I went but I'll try to talk about them in the order the letters appear in the phrase above.

S - the destination to capture the flag is Stilesville, Indiana (Probably will end up being the 2nd closest destination from my house as well.)

I rode to Stilesville (and a few other destinations) last weekend. ( I think on 07 Aug)
    Stilesville is a very small town located at the west edge of US Highway 40. It has a traffic light at an intersection of US 40 and a major county road.
    It's basically a small town in a rural farm area but I suspect it will grow more and more in the next decade as it's close to several other high growth areas.
    (the small town of Clayton is a mile or so NW and it has at least one modern subdivision with a lot of new houses in the past 15 or so years)

Here's some info I lifted from wikipedia - who knows if it's accurate or not but it does give you an idea:

"Stilesville was laid out in 1828. It was named for Jeremiah Stiles, a pioneer settler. The National Road was built through Stilesville in 1830."

2010 population 316 people. I suspect it's a bit bigger now - it is actually a pretty nice place.

Here's the photo for our project

1_S.jpg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A (2)

SADDLE UP AND RIDE

Our "A" place (ehhhhh!) is the bustling metropolis of Amo, Indiana. I am pretty sure it's the closest of any destinations to my house. It's not too far from Stilesville (and a few other letter places as you'll see).

Amo is also in Hendricks County, Indiana - again quoting Wikipedia "The town was laid out as Morristown in 1850 by Joseph Morris. The present name of Amo (meaning "I love" in Latin) was adopted in 1855. Amo was incorporated as a town in 1913.

Population 401 - and the town has a website. "Little Name, Little Town, Big heart" - Cute. :lol3

https://amoin.net/

The claim to fame I most associate with Amo is they historically had / have NSTRA (National Shoot To Retrieve Association) bird dog trials there.
    I dig that! (I've had bird dogs most of my life - I have two lab pups now - so far they seem to be "chow dogs" more than bird dogs - but that
    MY fault for not training them better/more often. They came equipped with the right 'computers' and engines - I just need to steer better)

So - Amo Indiana...
    2_A.jpg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a map snippet that shows a few of the towns I used for filling in some of the letters. (Amo - Stilesville - Plainfield - Avon - Danville)
    All of these are within Hendricks County Indiana - Indianapolis starts just to the east (right) of the City of Plainfield but isn't shown on this snip.

Amo.JPG
    And I made a mistake in the Stilesville discussion - Clayton is NW of BELLEVILLE, not Stilesville.
    So , exuuuuuse me ! :)
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet those are the same 316 people in Stilesville who were there the last time I was there in 1980!

Same for the 401 in Amo. Not a single one of them attended my junior high basketball game in the Amo gymnasium in 1978!

Can’t tell you how much I wish I was there to ride to those places of my youth with you. IIRC, back in 1975 farmers in Hendricks county couldn’t get $300/acre for good farmland.

Is Eminence on tap for the “e”?

I did not know there was an Alaska, Indiana. You HAVE to go there!

I took my Wee to 105 mph once. I’m not a big guy. Had a big Madstad screen and a lot of accoutrements. Zookie had a little bit more to give before the ECU would have clamped it. It was screaming something fierce and vibrating almost as much as my namesake RD at the same speed. Elvis hits 90 mph maybe around 3200 rpm in sixth gear. Doesn’t care. If it didn’t have an ECU clamp I’m afraid how fast he’d go. I “might” have touched 100 mph while passing a car on my way back from Hibbing in July. The speedometer isn’t exactly in my line of sight.

BTW. I found out the week after about the MOA rally in GF. I hear they welcome all brands, including the one from Milwaukee. Are you going to drag the professor to the 2022 rally in Springfield?
  9. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Good stuff @jdfog2 - it’s always interesting to see other people’s back yards :thumb
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD - I'll see if I can get him there. I am planning to go for sure.
    105 on the Wee. SPICY!
    :D:knary

I haven't been over 100 ish (indicated) on mine and I wasn't happy about it the few times I tried it.
    To be fair I was on Shinko tires and the balance wasn't good. (Not done at all is what he means) :)

No idea how fast the RT is and I'll never find out for sure but I know that in no time at all she's on the north side of 100 in a passing situation if you give er the coal. And it feels like 75 on the Wee.

I will get the Eminence "E" and I'll go to Alaska since I'll be in the area anyway :)

JD
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you kindly Sir.
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brief hiatus in my writing is due to having several members of my family become stricken with the Chinese virus. Both here and in Oklahoma.
    My brother (by choice) and best friend for over 30 years is in ICU and it doesn't look good at all. I'm heartbroken. His wife also has it but is not hospitalized.
    One of his two daughters also has it, again not hospitalized. And his other daughter is due to have a baby in October

My wife has it, she's quarantining with her Mom who also has it (had it first in our local family).
    I have it as well. My son is staying elsewhere for now and my daughter and her hubby just moved in a day or so before this all started.
    They're living in the finished basement for about a month between houses. (Sold one - buying one).

Yes, I had the Vax.

Thanks
    JD
  13. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    That’s sad news JD, I have my fingers crossed that everyone, including your Bro, make a full recovery. Best wishes from this side of the pond.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Best Wishes for your brother from the Northland. Sorry to hear the virus has found so many members of your family.

I just had the most humorous thought of the professor riding his KLX to the MOA rally. My son’s college roommate rode his CRF250L 600 miles to Sturgis one year - makes my rear hurt just thinking about it.

Did not ride today. We got our first thunderstorm of the entire summer! Trees here are drought stressed. Lawns are dead and have been since June. But the forecast suggests I am riding tomorrow!
  15. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good wishes guys.
    Back to our program. . .

D (3)
    SADDLE UP AND RIDE !

I'll need 3 "D" locations - I have already snagged 2 of them so without further delay I'll talk about the smallest one first - because smaller towns are my thing (at least over larger towns and cities.) Cities suck, remember?

Darlington, Indiana.

upload_2021-8-24_21-24-6.png

Darlington is in Montgomery County Indiana along Highway 47. It's a spot I ride to several times a season. The route there has a lot of country side and the roads have some gentle sweepers. Not a lot of drama most of the time. The road is forested just enough that people can't see "forever" like a lot of other places north of US 36 and Highway 47 isn't a real high speed highway so you aren't getting people that try to push you very often. And if they are trying to push me then I must have slower traffic in front of me because I normally keep it cranked up enough to not have people on my butt. Not too fast, not too slow, just right.

There's nothing all that neat about Darlington that I am aware of - except it's just "nice" in an easy, unassuming way. Most definitely a place I could live but I suspect it's going to feel encroachment from Indianapolis expansion more and more and it'll be just another suburb in 20 to 30 years. Or a suburb of the suburbs more likely. I like another small town a lot - Rockville, Indiana. Which is likely 40 - 50 miles west/southwest of where Darlington is. Rockville isn't gonna be too worried about metro expansion any time soon. (We'll talk about it more later on down the road)

One cool thing about Darlington is that Sugar Creek meanders around the area quite a bit. It's my favorite creek to fish in. A bit atypical for Indiana creeks, it has a lot of rocky bottom, and even some short areas of canyon-esque walls. Very picturesque in places, especially 20 miles or so downstream headed south westerly. The sections near two state parks (Shades and Turkey Run) are very popular and feature what fly fishermen know as an "Aluminum Hatch" most days during the Summer. An "Aluminum Hatch" refers to the multitudes of Canoers and Kayakers- manly find it a good time to lazily float down the river and get knee walking drunk/sick, and obnoxious. Although those sections are the best fishing water I tend to avoid them on weekends from May to Sep and weekdays after 11 am because as obnoxious people and I are too closely related to get along well :)
    Here's a link to a good video that shows some of that.

And
    I copied this from the town website. https://www.darlingtonindiana.com/our-community.html

"Darlington's Open Door"
    To the man or woman who is seeking a home, we say, "Come to Darlington." You will find no better place on earth to live than here, be you seeking a home where only modern conditions and conveniences prevail. Here you will be among people who are happy, contented, hopeful, congenial, and progressive; here Christianity prevails, good schools for the education of your children, all these things Darlington offers to you, and we are ready to "meet the stranger at the gate." We balk at no legitimate enterprise, and welcome every man, rich or poor, who comes to add his efforts to the up building of the town. Here where the Hoosier hospitality abounds, you will be made to feel at home, and you will have a home among the "salt of the earth."
    (Darlington Herald, April 13, 1917)

And here's my "official" Coddiwomple pic:

4_D.jpg
    Piper87c and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next
    D (4)

SADDLE UP AND RIDE !

Danville, Indiana
    Very near the town of Avon which we'll talk about likely later.

Here's my official Coddiwomple photo unless I go back sometime soon and get one at the Post Office.
    3_D_LI.jpg
    Danville is just to the west of Avon, and both towns are just west of Indianapolis.
    Danville is a very nice bedroom community as well as the County Seat of Hendricks County.

While Danville may only have 10,000 or so residents it's really close to a lot of other similar or larger communities so while it's still got a small town feel, it may not for much longer. It does have very nice residential areas and a nice park.

It also has a nice large Indiana Limestone courthouse with a courthouse square.

On the square it also has a neat cafe called the Mayberry Cafe and many nice businesses on the town square.
    http://www.mswoods.com/blog/wp-cont...ar-mayberry-cafe-danville-indiana-700x467.jpg

I like Danville a lot. But it's not nicer than the town I live near.
    It's just closer to a lot of things some people like. (Including a lot of other people - which I don't like being close to.)
    You seeing a theme about that yet? ;)
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bonus vacation pics. NOT from my bike but..."adventure" and I only am showing a couple :)
    I'm "sure" no one has seen these sights before HA!
    This is my new friend Miss Muley. Bighorn River. Greybull Wy
    There's a walking path to the left (off camera) along the highway which is further to the left.
    She walked within feet of me from across the road. Stood and looked at me on the walking path, and then casually made her way down to the the patch of dirt she's standing on before disappearing into the greenery below.

20210706_204708.jpg
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I spent a lot of my youth in Danville… at the park, movie theatre, even went to a gym there a few times. But my Danville home was Bartlett Chapel UMC. Salt of the earth people there.

My most recent visits have taken me to Twin Bridges Golf Club on the southeast end of town. Some great holes there and one abomination. Creek runs through the course. It is the same one that runs through the park. Never knew that till I just looked at the map.

In the 70’s the Indy 500 was not broadcast on local television. My parents would frequently have a family and friends cookout on race day at Ellis Park in Danville. They would put the race on the radio and sit in lawn chairs and talk while the charcoal was getting going. Us kids would cross the bridge over the creek and walk the trails that used to be where the houses are now east of the park. There was a steep bank there and we would climb the bank just to slide down. (Kids with smartphones don’t know what they’re missing!) The park had cabanas so the cookout wouldn’t get canceled due to fickle race day weather.

I have never been to Darlington.

I have not kept up with fire news in the Bighorns. Hope it’s still there.

Apology for threadjack. Hoosier nostalgia is running deep.
  19. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD - there's no threadjack likelihood possible between friends :)
    Heck, this is a dialogue anyway. Not just a report !
    These interactions are what makes this worth doing.

I enjoyed your comments. We share some of the same traditions. Spent many a race day listening to the radio at relatives gathered at picnic tables and in lawn chairs under big shade trees. Indiana Summer kickoff ! Constants were Aunt Betty's baked beans, my Mom's potato salad, cut up plates of veggies (mostly for putting on our hamburgers), Dad and Uncle Donnie working the grill (and the beer cooler much harder than the grill.) Other Aunts and Uncles and cousins showing up, specifically who depended on the year. GREAT people, and great memories.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been away a bit.
    Had some Covid. Had / have several family mbrs with Covid.

One passed away, he was my absolute best friend (and also was my brother in law). We shared a love of motorcycles, fly fishing, and just hanging out together.

Our wives are sisters by birth. Gary and I were brothers by choice.

I didn't pick him but if I could've there's no way I could have picked better.

A painful time for sure but Gary would be disappointed if I didn't continue onward.

So I'll be back to updating this soon.

Hug those you love extra tight.

And while you're at it, try to love a few that you don't like. Because Gary would do that all the time.

RIP Brother. You're missed but I know we'll meet again some Glorious Day.
    Suncoaster and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.