Code Orange: Building up Three and a Half 690R's

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bartron, Mar 7, 2011.

1. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    bartron, I'm assuming that these mods to the map will work with a 2012? Not the actual map but the other changes?

Thoughts?
  2. jacbrown

jacbrown As old as my tongue, a little older than my teeth

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bartron! That's a really good idea. Even on a bike without the Rally Raid tank, I think it gives 90% of the protection and is so much lighter than other approaches. Very cool.

I added a few details that might be an option for others.

1. The screw isn't the only thing that could puncture the tank. The J-nuts (those things that clip around the radiator tab) have very sharp corners Being spring steel, they are also very hard. I took them over to the grinder and rounded them off.

J_nut.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. The holes in the aluminum U bracket look cool, but they also give the epoxy some mechanical edges to grab onto. I had some 6160 alumimum and made the rad protectors from it. 6160 is usually brittle and can't be bent, but I did a flame anneal and quench so that I could bend it easily. The reason for going to that trouble is that 6160 age hardens and will be significantly harder than normal aluminum after some time. It's just that small extra thing adding to protection.

front rad protector.jpg
    [​IMG]
    josip01 likes this.
  3. DanThomas

DanThomas n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Fresh to all of this so bear with me if I'm posting in the wrong place!

Just switched my stock exhaust on my 2012 690 to a wings and noticed the canister was leaking charcoal upon startup and acceleration. Anyone had any experience with this before?

I plan on removing the canister anyway, but wanted to make sure it's not a more serious problem that will just go unnoticed.

The bike hasn't been on its side or anything. I can even flick the canister when the bike is off and it will drop a bunch of charcoal.

Can't find anything similar to this issue.

Cheers for any help in advance!
  4. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a canister do that so it could have a broken whatever inside. Just remove it as you intended and you can sleep better.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  5. JRROM

JRROM n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread but wondering if someone can tell me why after loading the modified fi akro map with 4% added fuel trim does it then show zeros across the board for fuel trim after reading the freshly loaded fi map? The map I downloaded definately has 4% added fuel trim I double checked my saved modified map and the 4% increase is there???????