Coffee and New Friends, One 250cc Explosion at a Time

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, Jun 20, 2015.

1. steveloomis

steveloomis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, Glad to see you post here. I just cannot seem to get enough of your adventures. I enjoyed our short time here in Enid, OK when you came through. I look forward to your next time through. Thanks for sharing your setup. It can help others (myself) i choosing what to look for when outfitting. I enjoy the ride reports here on ADV and appreciate those who take the time to share with those of us who cannot make the rides we'd like yet... Someday....:D:clap
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, I had an inmate that asked me to do a small post about how I edit my vids.....

I use a little 13 inch MacBook Air for all my editing. The only cameras I use on the road are my iPhone and one Go Pro 3. For me, there is no need for the latest super 4k stuff, big SLR cameras, or lots of lenses. It's not my thing. Regular 1080p HD is more than my eyes can resolve anyway. I don't do ANY editing while on the ride. I wait until I'm home and have some un-interrupted time before I start the editing.

It seems that most people turn on their Go Pro and let it run and run. I don't do that. I have my Go Pro set to start recording when I press the power button and then turn off when I press it again. The camera is mounted on the left side of my helmet. As I'm riding along and see a scene coming up that I want to record, I just reach up with my left hand and hit the button. Then when I'm past the scene I turn the camera off. I usually don't record any clips that are more than 10 to 20 seconds long. Any longer than that I bore myself to death watching trees go by.

I use iMovie for all my editing. It is simple and intuitive. I don't have any editing training and learn as I go. I start with an intro then add all the clips I shot for the day. I'll trim them later. Then I add the stills and narratives I do with the iPhone between the video clips at the appropriate places. Everything is just drag and drop.

I purchase most all of the music I use in the vids from Audionetwork.com. The individual tracks for student and personal use are only $1.35 each. This lets me use the music without having to pay any future royalties if I don't "Monetize" the videos on YouYube. My favorite artist is Philip Guyler. His stuff is great.

When I've got all the clips, stills, and narratives in place, I grab a beer or two and start throwing away (trimming) the video. I get rid of anything that is boring (to me) and fool around with getting the music to fit the scene or mood. This trip was a mix of somber stuff and fun stuff. I don't always do a good job of getting the music to fit but I'm learning. The program has a bunch of neat transitions, fades, titles, and effects. I try to remember that if I add too many "fancy" transitions and effects it takes away from the video and all you end up watching are the effects. I keep mostly the same transitions throughout the whole series for continuity.

Here is a tip I learned from a friend years ago. I keep three copies of all the footage I shoot. One is on the laptop and the other two copies are on external hard drives. I edit off of one external hard drive. The other is kept in my gun safe and not connected to keep the footage safe from theft or a lightning strike. If you don't backup, one day, and that day may come sooner than you think, you will loose everything.

I probably made the description on how I edit as clear as mud. Sorry bout that. If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk in detail.
    cjeter likes this.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, good to hear from you. Many thanks again for buying Anthony and me dinner when we all got together at the motel in Enid. I've used many of your tips about editing in the new vids. (Steve is a video producer in the Enid/Oklahoma City area) I'll be coming back though in September with a buddy who is coming over from Australia to see the southwest. I'll buzz you up. Dinner this time is on me!
  4. steveloomis

steveloomis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of us who do edit, clear as a bell. What many do not realize is the time it takes to make a video. I don't blame you for not editing on the road. You'd have no time in the evenings at all... Good Show.:rofl
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was me, and you did a perfect job explaining the workflow. Particularly liked the audio source recommendation. :thumb
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys...I've got no secrets and happy to share anything.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've kicked around riding my WR to Montana, Idyho, Oregon and Washington from Atlanta to continue my Lewis and Clark trips...but everyone told me I'm crazy. I sent a link to your Ride Report to all my riding buddies and they still think I'm crazy. You've convienced me otherwise.

Like the way your WR is setup....You might consider a FM controller....my WR pretty easily does 80 MPH on flat ground (GPS speed) with stock chain without a hissyfit. I'm moving to a 14/50 or 14/48 this week to see the difference.

Thanks for sharing a great trip. I've stayed in at least 1/2 of same motels you stayed in over the years.

8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey LewisNClark,

It was nice camping at the Meriwether Lewis National Monument. You're right about everyone telling me I was crazy to tour across the country on a 250. I guess before a 650 was a small bike, the millions who traveled on 125s and 250s the past 100 years were a bit crazy too :)

When I got back I put a new DID Gold X-ring chain (112) on and changed to a 13/47 combo. I used a 14/48 on the trip and the slightly lower new final drive ratio is just about all around perfect for me now. I may try a controller later but for me I don't run more than about 60 mph when I travel and the little motor does just fine. Episode 4 should be up in the net tonight. It has the Glenn Canyon/Lake Powell/Zion stuff.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks to post from all you guys and girls ( thank you BigDog for posting a great WR build writeup), I outfitted the whizzer with the stuff you’ve said was good. Here is a list of my mods. BTW, EVERYTHING worked perfect! Thanks for the great suggestions.

Madstad 20 inch “adventure” model windshield……a bit large but very comfortable with no wind buffeting
    IMS 3.1 gallon gas tank…………………………….….........gives me about a 200 mile range
    Russell Day Long “sport” seat……………………….........just about perfect
    Fastway foot pegs……………………………………..............great quality, large footing area
    Renthal/Supersprox *sprockets……….…………........…steel front and rear for longevity
    DID Gold X-RIng 112 link chain………………..…….......strong and should last well
    Moto-Racks with Rotopax mount……………….……......beautifully made and functional
    Rotopax 1 gallon fuel thing.................................just to be sure
    Jared Skaggs billet rear top rack……………….……......super nice looking, get one from him
    Wolfman Enduro tank bag……………………….........……Wolfman quality what can I say
    Wolfman Expedition saddle bags………………....………"
    Wolfman tool roll……………………………….…..….......….."
    iM2300 Pelican top case…………………….……........…..good solution for security and water proofing
    24 liter Ortieb dry bag (tent)…………………….....….….best there is IMHO
    Cycra hand guards…………………………….…...........…..pain in the ass to get fitted properly
    Waterproof dual USB outlet…………………….….......…good solution to a simple problem
    Eastern Beaver 3 circuit power thingy………….….….perfect solution for running accessories
    Power lead for Gerbing heated stuff…………………...a wire with a plug on one end
    RAM AMPS mount for Montana 600 GPS…………..…holds the GPS well and somewhat secure from theft
    Oxford Heated Grips with Intelligent Controller….great fit and finish and work well
    PVC 3 inch tool tube……………………………………........wish it came in blue
    SPOT Tracker……………………………………………...........good little “I’ve fallen and can’t get up thingy"
    Aerostich mini compressor……………………………......blows air out one end just like me
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    And.....here is a list of all the stuff I took along. It all packed really small after figuring where to put things.

Camping Stuff

Tent/poles/pegs (Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE)
    Tent repair kit
    Ground cloth (cheap 6x8 foot tarp from Lowes)
    Sleeping pad (Big Agnes Q-Core SL)
    Sleeping bag (down 35 degree LL Bean)
    Pillow (Nemo Fillo Luxury, folds up really small)
    Helinox Camp One chair (a luxury on a small bike but comfy at camp)
    Camp table light (small Coleman collapsible LED )
    Pee bottle (12 oz, may need 24 oz depending on amount of beer consumed)
    9 Hour Candle and Holder (to keep tent warm and condensation free)

Coffee Making Stuff

Instant coffee (not really picky)
    Jet Boil Zip
    Cup (stainless insulated)
    Matches/lighter (waterproof)
    Spork
    Creamer/sugar

Clothes

Under Armor Synthetic Short Sleeve Shirt (1) (for dressing up before going to strip club)
    Under Armor Synthetic Long Sleeve Shirts (3)
    Denim jeans (1)
    LD Comfort riding under shorts (3)
    LD Comfort long sleeve base layer (1)
    LD Comfort long tights base layer (1)
    Smart wool socks (3)
    Toiletry kit (tooth brush/paste, razor/cream, soap bar)
    Micro fiber Towel (LL Bean 24 x 36 I think)
    Walking shoes (New Balance 990 are my favorites) Shower shoes (cheap flip flops)
    Swimsuit (swim in it, sleep in it, wear while doing laundry)
    Laundry detergent (Woolite in a small bottle)
    Ball cap (one with a cool logo or location to impress girls)
    Stuff bag for dirty clothes

Bike Stuff

Chain Lube
    Oil (small bottle with about 6oz to top off if needed)
    Front and Rear Tubes
    Aerostich mini compressor (use to inflate tires and sleeping pad)
    Oil filters (2) (will be using Rotella T-6 and change in back of Wal-Marts)
    Micro fiber cleaning cloths (3)
    Zip lock freezer bags (4)
    Garbage bags (1 large contractor size to put on the ground while fixing a puncture)
    Nylon cord (clothes line to dry clothes or to hang myself if the WR does not work out)
    Bike cover (keeps rain off and for security)

ToolKit

Sockets………………8/10/11/12/13/14 mm
    3/8 drive Slider Bar
    2 inch 3/8 drive extension
    Allen wrenches…….
    Box End Wrenches…..8/10/12/13/14 combos
    4-in-1 Screw Driver
    Leatherman Wave multi tool
    JB Weld
    WD 40
    Small Voltmeter
    Electrical tape
    Small Duct Tape
    Master Link (1)
    Fuses
    Zip Ties
    Tire Gauge
    Valve Cores (2)
    Rubber Gloves (2 pair)
    Blue Lock Tight
    Hose Clamps (2, one large and one small)
    Radiator stop leak
    tire irons (motion pro with 22mm and 27mm box ends in PVC tool tube)
    bead buddy (helps to have a third hand)
    Tire installing lube (No Mar veggie based stuff)
    rim protectors (don’t mind bussin my noggin but hate scratching my rims)
    Trail Stand (in PVC tool tube)

Miscellaneous Stuff

Cable lock/small padlock (F#$ckin thieves)
    13 inch MacBook Air in felt travel sleeve
    Go Pro Hero 3 Silver Edition camera w/SD cards/charger cable
    IPhone 5 w/charger and cables (1)
    GPS (Montana 600)
    Sun/regular eye glasses
    Bug spray
    Sun block
    Pen and notebook (use the pen to stab myself in the eye after trying to repair a tire puncture)
    Gun and Holster (40 Cal Glock model 27)
    Fake wallet (to give to a dirtbag when requested and when unable to shoot said dirtbag) SPOT tracker AAA Maps (still like using maps and supplement my routing with the GPS)
    Yellow highlighter pen (so I can highlight stuff)
    First aid kit (in case I break a nail)
    Batteries (AAA Lithium for SPOT)
    Glasses cleaning pads
    Spare wrist rest (I could not ride long distances without one)
    Vitamins (can be substituted with alcohol)
    Spare key (for bike and cleaning out my ears)
    FlashLight (Nightcore 900 lumens LED USB re-chargable)
    Advil Liquigels/Immodium AD (take one Advil in the morning at breakfast and no soreness all day)
    Wet Wipes
    Emergency Toilet Paper (much better than wiping your butt with a trash bag you find in the ditch)
    Mozzie Net to go over my hat
    gpax and BruceT like this.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Really nice vibe on your video. I get it. Nice job!
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    haha thanks....it's really hard to pick out corny music :lol3
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    It's truly excellent work. I've been following along with Google Earth and general research with most of your subtitles in your video(s). I've been mapping the path and major sites and diving into the story of your views. As a pilot, I've overflown the general route of your trip often but to see it on the "ground" is amazing.

Very well done production and effort. :thumb
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have the track of the whole ride in a GPX file. What do I need to do to be able to post it here if anyone wants it? I tried Dropbox but it went to my private account and not the public folder. Can you advise?

16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, I just bumped into your RR tonite. The 250cc caught my eye. After reading BigDog and Cannonshot I bought a WRR too. Mine is equipped more like BigDog's is (or was if he sold it). I came off of a KTM 950 I rode for 7 years. I was planning the CDR and I was expecting to be solo, so I needed a bike I could pick up easier. The little Yam was so good on that trip, that I sold the big KTM and bought a 690r enduro because it was about the same weight at my Yam.

I keep the Yamaha in Scottsdale now and ride it when I'm out west. I have ridden it all over and find the bike very comfortable and plenty fast most places.

Here it is on a road just north of Page called Smokey Mountain. It is about 100 miles long between Big Water and Escalante, UT. From there I rode the Pny Express trail from SLC to Ely NV and on to Reno:
    [​IMG]

I like your vids. Where is your next big trip?
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Pantah, your set up looks great. The Escalante area is really beautiful but I've never done any off road stuff there. I mostly tour but will be doing more dirt in the future. I've got some of the Pony Express Trail in my GPS so next time..... I've got some friends coming over from Australia the first of September and we are heading out. Don't have a clue where we are going other than northwest from NC to Glacier then turning south to outrun the winter for two months before heading home to the Asheville area. Next May I'm going to Australia for three months to do a complete lap of the country with my friends. Got a 650 GS to use over there so all is well. Can't wait to do a series of vids from OZ!
  18. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    twice, I think this forum allows you to attach and upload a Garmin GPX file to a post if file size is under ~1.9MB. Just click on the paper clip thing-m-bob when editing your post. If file is too big just split tracks into multiple files or filter down track points. Always nice to follow along with tracks. Doc did a really nice job with this on all their Mobius trips.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Great! I'll give it a go in the morning when I'm less intoxicated.....:lol3
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer: