Coffee and New Friends, One 250cc Explosion at a Time

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's me. I miss SSU. If you do a search for LongRidersRadio, I did a couple of interviews about riding the UK, Ireland, and the Continent last May & June.

We'll be riding in Germany just before the BOM.

Tim

Tim in Burien, WA
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep I listen to LRR too....love all the podcast I can find. Look forward to meeting you one day. I did listen to your interview about riding in Europe. It was in two parts if I remember right. I've never been out of the country so the OZ trip will certainly be a learning experience for me. Got rider friends there who have a nice 2014 650 GS for me to ride. Gonna be fun. Take care.
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Damn, I've been doing it wrong my whole life. :lol3

Killed the better part of a cold snowy and rainy day enjoying your RR. Motivated me to start screwing the ice studs into my WR tires.

The video RR is fantastic. I can't imagine the amount of work you put into editing. Great stuff!
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks! When you are retired and between trips there is nothing else to do except edit stuff. Lots of fun though. Thanks for watching.
  5. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I once produced a 6 hour m/c event video with licensed music and pledged to myself I'd never do that again. It took way too much time to do it right. Kudos to you for your videos !

Tim in Burien, WA
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks Timmer. Feels good to get good feedback from my stuff. I'm done with vids this year. The next series will be about my ride in Australia in the spring.
  7. GsyMan

GsyMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just like to thank you for sharing your videos. I get quite some enjoyment from them and always look forward to seeing the next episode pop up on your channel. You have a great way of putting them together and sharing, and always with a smile. Hell, they are even educational. It must take a lot of effort to put these up, so thanks.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. Glad you've enjoyed my little travels. Much appreciated.
  9. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just jumping in, at the end of the RR, I know. Hey, I watched almost all of #3. That's the longest YouTube vid I've ever watched. (Just a little ADD, and a little OCD.)
    I usually click on a video, if it's over 3 min, I won't/can't watch it. I'll get the rest of them done.
    For those of us that do not have an open schedule, is this trip doable on a big bike? Looks like it from video 3.
    I'd have about 9 days to do it.
    Someday I'll have a 30 day window.
    Great RR :clap
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey good morning! Should not be a problem having a great time with 9 days. You may have to pick what you want to do in that time though. All the roads I've ridden in my vids can be done on a Gold Wing (no disrespect). I like to explore but don't really have the ability or desire to beat myself or my bikes up riding a really hard gravel or rocky road just because it is there. The Valley of the Gods road, Mokee Dugway, the Monument Valley Loop Road are my kind of off tarmac riding. Really easy and not much sand at all. Thanks for watching my stuff. If you've got any questions send me a PM. I love to talk about riding in the west. Cheers.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    I love your work. Wish I had your knowledge and patience on video editing. I have go pro 3 and a laptop of course but I don't think my PC could handle the load. I'm guessing you used MAC and some other video editing tools. Could you clue us in on your tools of the trade?
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sure can. I only use one little Go Pro and my iPHone 5 for all the footage and stills. I don't take big SLR's with me because the quality of the iPhone photos is just fine for me. I shoot my stills with the HDR setting and 1080 30 fps on the Go Pro.

I only shoot just the stuff that interests me and I never let the Go Pro just run on and on...very boring. I don't use a remote control or fart around with the Go Pro app on my iPhone for the GoPro. I have the Go Pro set to turn on and start recording when I push the power button and turn off whenI push it again. Easy.

Big SLR's are nice but for me I just point and shoot....don't want to be burdened with getting a big camera out of the bag, firing it up, making sure the settings are correct, putting on the lenses I want to use, and then taking the shot. Too much work for me. I want to enjoy the ride and not spend a bunch of time fooling with anything else.

My vids are primarily for me and friends to look at just to see the trip and not meant to impress someone with the quality of the image or video footage. IMHO, and others will have a different opinion and that is fine, people are so caught up with all this 4k HD super megapixel stuff that they are so burdened with all the technology that it detracts from the ride. Not me...I keep stuff really simple, easy to use, and fast to get into action so to speak.

I use an early 2014 13 inch 1.4 ghz Macbook Air for all the editing. I use iMovie for everything because it is a simple program to use and is very intuitive. When I edit I import all the video footage, throw away most of it, then add the stills in the proper places to match what the vid is showing, add my corny narratives, and then add the text banners.

I buy my music from audionetwork.com for about $1.35 a track if I only use the songs for student or non commercial vids like mine. Again easy.

Hope this helps. If you'd like to talk in detail about how I put the vids together PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Take care and enjoy your ride.
    MaNDan, Clampett and Swashplate like this.
  14. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work with the videos Tewster2 - I really need to upgrade to Apple products for video editing - provides so many more options than Windows Live Movie Maker. I'll be heading out West summer of 2016 on a cross country M/C tour from the East Coast out to CO, AZ & UT and am looking forward to experiencing many of the sites you so beautifully captured in your videos/photography.

Keep up the great work - you're inspiring us all!
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I am not a computer guy so the simple Apple stuff works great for me. I may be out west in the spring also...maybe we will meet on the road...take care.
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Nice riparound T2.
    Really enjoyed the show. It's been way too long since I last ventured down through those areas.
    Loved every minute of all the videos. Shots of the White Rim and the Shafer Trails jogged the old hard drive.
    I was down there on an '83 R80 G/S PD and had lots of time and excellent weather.
    Scenery was unreal!
    Did see your chat on the Alaska thread and wanted to wish you best for this Spring's travels to Alaska.
    Not sure of your timeline but you should try to take in D2D (Dawson City, Yukon) mid June.
    My suggestion would be that plan for X number of days up here and then double it.
    See you when you get here.
    Fite

17. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Twester2,

Your videos are AWESOME !!! The resolution does not matter that much, 1080 is good enough. It is the quality of the shooting and editing that make them much better than most. You just need to get them out there, I am sure a lot of people would love to see those if they just knew about them. They should also play them in the prisons, for a lot of the guys you helped put there. Maybe it would inspire at least a couple of them to straighten up, and do something really rewarding, instead of roaming the projects, and getting into trouble.

I really look forwarding to seeing this years videos. My only suggestion is make more of them :D

Mike
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds great Fite! I love the south west and ma move out there in the next few years. Utah in particular is like heaven. I'm in the mountains of western NC and it's like heaven too :)

I will be leaving around mid May and have all the time in the world. I'm going to wander slowly visiting friends and seeing new places on the way out. I hear D2D is June 16/17 and that should be a lot of fun. I see you are in AK from your tag line. I'm making a list of folks I've met through my vids and would love to add you to it and stop by. Let me know. Take care.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the good words about my stuff. I have a great time doing the trips, shooting the footage, and then getting all of it to make sense. I've made many new friends I've yet to meet but hope to one day because of the vids. This year my ride to Alaska and down to Mexico will be my longest ride yet at around 2-3 months. Though it pales in comparison to all the guys and girls who are on the road for years, for me it is enough just to get out there again.
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  20. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Twister, a question about traveling with GoPro, where do you store your videos while on the road? I have a Go Pro and even if don't seem to take a lot of video it fills up a lot of memory quickly.

Just came across your RR videos a couple of days ago, love watching them in the middle of the winter. I had a WR250R a couple of years ago, now I'm riding a 1200GS, sure do miss that little bike sometimes.