Coffee and New Friends, One 250cc Explosion at a Time

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Blazejeep

Blazejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are all in the brotherhood. Thank you for your service. Many cops in family. My brother retired IL state trooper, my uncle retired SD, my niece and nephew are IL state troopers now. Grandpa was a cop too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    That sounds very rewarding, taking some of the garbage off the streets. I was always interested in law enforcement, and went on a lot of ride alongs. But given my size and strength, they would have probably taken me off the street... You must have worked in a larger city to have encountered a lot of people like that ?? Do you ever worry about any of them bothering you when they get out ???

Mike
  3. ADVrider973

ADVrider973 FlyDriveRide

Oddometer:
    Me+ GT3 on the roads somewhere in the USA= Breaking news and fame :super
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not really. My personal info was pretty well shielded from the public. Believe it or not, there is a certain honor among criminals where they will do their time and that's just business. Some are crazy though but no problems so far. My agency had over 500 sworn and was very good.
  5. Blazejeep

Blazejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My city has less than 15,000 and we have plenty of dead beats to go around. We answered nearly 1800 calls last year. Got in few scraps with the clientele before our friends in blue/brown arrived to assist. K2, bath salts, meth,etc. make people crazy.
  6. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride!
  7. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Tewster,

The WR250R is a great bike, when I was purchasing I looked very hard at the Yamaha for the same type of riding you are doing. In the end I went with the CRF250L because it had a bit lower seating height, and seemed just a bit more street oriented. What is your top speed with all your gear loaded the Yamaha? I like the CRF250L a lot, but I see so much good from the Yamaha that I still wonder if I made the right choice. Either way, small and light is a lot of fun, I just wish I had the time to hop on mine and go somewhere awesome !

Mike HondaCRF250LHouse.jpg
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Nice bike...and the lady is fine too!!! I have a friend who got a CRF too because of the seat height. It's perfect for her. Don't know what the top speed is on the WR loaded. I cruise around 60 mph and with the mark I put on my throttle it's open about 1/3 of the way when I'm on level roads if that helps.

I know what you mean about having the time. I had to work from 9 years old to 62 before I could get away for a long ride. I'm gonna ride my ass off until I croak now :)

BTW that's one heck of a headlight!!!
  9. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    TEWSTER2,
    Have enjoyed your videos very much. I recently turned 62 and as JDowns said; I now have a rich uncle sending riding funds to my account every month.
    Lovin' your "ride my ass off line" and I'm stealing it as a new sig line. Thanks for all your work on your video ride reports.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Congrats on turning 62 and now getting a small bit you your money back. Haha yep my two mottos are "Always wanted more time than money....got my wish when I retired" and "Gonna ride my ass off till I croak".......you are more than welcome to use them as I think we've both earned the right! :)

BTW used to have a girlfriend in Brunswick..gonna do the Cabot Trail one of these days.
  11. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've easily done 70 on the level fully loaded. Inclines are quite another matter. But I'd rather ride it 60 or under or off pavement.

Tim in Burien, WA
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep 50 to 60 is my speed these days.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend just pointed me to this ride report and your videos and all I can say is thanks.
    I occasionally get these Zen moments while riding, I got them by watching your videos.
    I too am 62, but I'm a born again rider, I rode a Honda SL350 (got one in my garage now) as a teen and then gave it up for marriage and family. I started back riding in 2009 with a Honda Nighthawk 750 and I've been having a blast.

I am planning a very similar ride to this one for June. I have three weeks that I can be away (my wife has health issues and I have to make arrangements for her) Your vids are just additional motivation for this ride and a standard for recording my own trip.

Thanks for the production tips and especially the music source. That's always been an issue for me. I wondered, do you pic a specific genre or style for searching? I find the amount of music overwhelming.

Enough about me..thanks for the report.

"I get up your way every May. A bunch of us old timers go to the Kickstand Lodge (stecoah) and fool around in the hills. I would invite you, (actually I will) but I guess you'll be out galavanting the larger world. "
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for watching and the kind words. Hope to see you on the road this summer. I'm heading to Alaska this time and will be leaving western NC around the 15th of May. I'll be heading out to Utah before turning right towards the Arctic Circle. Take care and ride safe!
  15. ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez Trailers are for boats. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  16. ExxonValdez

Oddometer:
    Just about caught up on on this video ride report, on your YouTube channel, great viewing! Thanks for taking the time to put those videos together. I watched the video on your gear as well, very informative. Can you expand on the fake wallet? That sounds like a great idea.
    Rubber side down!
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for watching my stuff. Hope it didn't put you to sleep....I carry a fake wallet in case I get acosted by a dirt bag and am caught off guard and don't have a chance to take him (or her) out first. I would just give them the fake wallet and watch them run off. Sometimes its better to just de-fuse a situation than put up with a fight. I carry my real wallet deep inside my jacket or saddle bags.
  18. ExxonValdez

Oddometer:
    That is one of the best motorcycle touring tips I've come across. Thank you very much for that. Do you put a few bucks in it, with fake cards at all? I do a lot of touring in your fine country, mostly TN / NC, a lot of it soIo and I totally agree, it's all about Op Sec and diffusing a potentially dangerous situation and getting off the X. Great Tip!

Your Video's are awesome, I was on the 550 in Colorado a couple of years ago in June with a friend, quite a difference in weather from when you were there. You are one tough sum bitch! Ha. I can't wait to go back.
    I'm just now getting into your Alaska RR, something I'll be doing in the not so distant future for sure.

Thanks again! Ride safe.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep
    I put a couple of singles, a five, and a ten, plus an expired credit card (someone elses) and another persons expired DL. I've never had to use the thing but is there if it's the best thing to use in a situation.

Hwy 550 in CO is one of my favorites...awesome road. I'm coming back to Alaska next year. This ride was a learning experience and next year will be a blast because I know where I want to go, stay, get gas, food, lodging, and camp.
    ADVrider973 likes this.
  20. ExxonValdez

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, I'm going to put a faux wallet together for the next trip. Ride safe.