Coke Ovens Saturday After Turkey Day Ride 11-27-10

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BIG-E, Oct 8, 2010.

1. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I'm in :ricky

With this much notice, you may have a huge turnout so be prepared Mongo. Radio's would be nice & a designated sweep rider.

For those that have never been, read the ride reports. Here is last years event.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535122&highlight=4play

Less than half the group finished the original route. This is a very rocky, very remote, ~80 mile loop. Make sure you & your bike are properly prepared. ATTGATT, even Nightstalker did an exit stage left on a gnarly uphill. Typical NS was still on the gas trying to save it with the handlebars digging up rocks.
  2. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't z navigator in that trip i was following Glenn313, and Levio run out of water like z rest of us and went hiding under a tree:hide so if i depended on Levio that day to navigate we would be still there :pep :lol3, if it dosen't kill u it makes u stronger :wink: , and u know i am a rocky trail fanatic. ROCKS?? Bring it on Buddy. I might be in, that depend if i am gonna be a daddy or not that week.:*sip*
  3. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Daddy? Congrats :freaky
    I've moved on the the Granddaddy role :deal

I'm not trying to scare anyone from doing the ride, just be realistic & prepared. It's not really that difficult, but there is very little "cruising"
  4. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    You better get ALL the riding in that you can before the birth...YOUR riding days; when, where and how often are going to change FOREVER...:tough

And the best part is, their like puppies...once you have one...you just have to get another...
  5. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beings that it is in the planning stages this far out, I would say there's a distinct possiblility that this could surpass the large group we had with 25+- last year.

I will be there I'm sure.

I would suggest having a few ride leaders with sweep riders for each platoon of riders.

Each platoon would be on their own but within 5 minutes of the platoon in front. Limit the platoons to a certain number of riders and maybe set it up as A+ riders on down. If you are not a solid B rider on the bike you will be riding, I would think twice about coming. At least it should not be to hot.
    I would also plan the bail outs and post them so people would know if they need an easier route out. There's only one that I know of once at the coke ovens. The route out from the Coke Ovens is fun but there are a couple of good loose rocky hills that you must go up.

Also, If you are not in good health or have questions regarding your health at the time of the ride, don't plan on coming period .

There are reasons that these items are brought up for those that have not ridden with the Arizona Javelina Haters crew. I'm not trying to be a dick but I am a certified Asshole so I'm qualifed to say these things.:ken

Uncle Mil T
  6. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what i've been trying to do this past summer Jim, and everyone was warning me for z same thing, i like to do Coke Oven again in a good & friendly weather so i am gonna try my best to squeeze this ride in my schedule .
  7. Garthe

Oddometer:
    I LOVE the way you think Mil, can't wait to meet you.

Just for the record, I don't consider myself a 'B' rider. Nor am I in shape and I was over weight the last (first) time I rode to the Coke Ovens.

That being said, Mil is 100 % correct. After THAT ride I new it was time to lose weight AND get in shape. I only saw my life flash before my eye twice. :yikes

Here is one of my favorite pictures from the tread that 4 play posted.

[​IMG]

Big E, are you going to try the same line with your BIG KTM...?
  8. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    For all those looking forward to the weekend Nighstalker has stepped up to offer the routing for Sundays ride. Big-E how do you want to do this? Do you want me to start a thread for the Sunday ride or should we keep the weekend together in one? This should be a great time:clap
  9. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    hell, on dirt bikes, this is a super fun ride! great time of year to schedule it, too.
  10. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone,

Drew, whichever way you want is okey-dokey with me. Thanks for the offer! Just remember that I will be on the 990 and the back way up is difficult to say the least. I have come down from the Mini-haha but not up.

I am trying to borrow my old CRF450r to ride for this weekend, but it is not street plated and only has the RV and the OHV sticker on it with the stock 2 gallon tank.

Thanks everyone for making Ditchwitch's time with us unforgettable! Does anyone have a spare pair of size 14 or 15 boots that he can borrow? And we need a XXL helmet if some one has an extra.

Garthe, you better show up for this one! Us big guys need to stick together! And NO I am not taking the 990 down that big step. That was one of my finest moments!

seabe, you can miss one hunting day, come on!

Bob, please let Jeff know that we would like to see him too!

Nightstalker, would you or TC please lead the ride, as I can't remember the route, and would be lost in a matter of seconds! Not to mention I will be way back in the pack giving you guy's some more good pictures.

Thanks Everyone, see you soon!

BTW, Uncle Mil T's really not a ***hole, just speaking the truth! Be prepared!!
  11. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean Garth.
    You havn't seen me I guess. I make the 530 look like a mini bike.
    Although I am 25 lbs lighter than a month ago and still dropping. Went out for a good dirt ride yesterday on the 530 and really felt the weight loss and working out on the mountain bike.
    I know large is not the ultimate for dirt bike riding and skill plays a very large part of riding. I hear your a good rider so I wouldn't worry to much.

Uncle Mil T
  12. gdspdblkdemperor

gdspdblkdemperor Captain Bavaria

Oddometer:
    I doubt my drz will be back up and running by this time (due to lack of funds) but if it is, I'm in. I spent most of my 2.5 weeks back in PA riding my stepbrothers DR650 on some epic rocky singletrack and have definitely upped my dirt riding skills. I've wanted to do coke ovens for a while now. Here's hoping I get this job I'm interviewing for so I can get the old gal back on the dirt. Would definitely be a good test my abilities and be one hell of a fun ride.

If all else fails, I look forward to the RR. :evil
  13. Garthe

Oddometer:
    BIG E, I got a set of boots that your friend can use :thumb .
  14. Garthe

Oddometer:
    I went over the bars in Moab on a triple stair step. The bike hit me twice on the way down:flush . The best part was, I was leading and know saw the crash...:dunno

When 4play and I road to the C.O., I looked at your line because I saw the picture...then I thought about the Moab crash...and then took the 'other' line...
  15. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    I actually saw Yardstick go this way and thought, "Umm, if he can do it on a SE I can surley do it on a 640" Whewww....Just barley I tell you, just barley....

Thanks for the boots offer, I will hook up with you sometime before hand to borrow the boots. Waite a minute, won't you be needing them to ride with us?? You are coming right?

See you soon Brother!
  16. Garthe

Oddometer:
    I have a extra set of old boots. I hope to make it, however, these days...nothing seems to be a sure thing. We'll see.

17. SonnyAZ

SonnyAZ DesertDweller

Oddometer:
    I might be in for this, if I can lose some weight and get into shape too. I've been wanting make that ride again.
    Although, when I went on that ride before one of the guys leading the ride only had one arm.

5 yrs ago
    [​IMG]
  18. BIG-E

Oddometer:
    Just for good measure!!

BACON!!:clap :clap

[​IMG]

We might even be able to squeeze in some?? Bacon that is...
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Count me in. I'm bringing the DRZ this time so it should be cake. :deal
  20. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    A bacon cake?:tb