Coke Ovens Saturday After Turkey Day Ride 11-27-10

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BIG-E, Oct 8, 2010.

1. goner

goner addict

Oddometer:
  2. GEEEE..S..BILL

GEEEE..S..BILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not in...Thanks anyway.
  3. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    I'll sweep, I like riding in the back anyways. but, who is going to sweep me up when I am in trouble? :eek1
  4. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I got your back buddy, no one left behind:freaky
  5. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    eric, i'm sorry, but i'm gonna get a great big bull elk this year. it's my first time ever hunting the bulls, and i just don't think i can spare the day. i really need to be successful and provide a bunch of table meat.
    you know i would if i could. i just love the coke ovens run. challenging, but not over the top.
    i hope you guys have a fantastic time. epic but not tragic.
  6. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AHH BUT,

Any trophy for this group must be appropriate as it is fondly called the AJH's.
    Arizona Javelina Hater's. :D

We still need to come up with the trophy and of course 4-Play is the first recipient to hold it until the next appropriate sucker:eek1 , uhm, I mean rider:muutt earns it.:thumb
    Uncle Mil T
  7. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    You do not have to cross the river to make this ride a loop. We have never taken it in then out the same direction. :D
  8. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    I like that..........:pynd :thumb
  9. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW! Here's something I bet most of you have never seen! A crappy cell-phone picture of the Coke Ovens!!!! :rofl

[​IMG]

Survived my first trip to the coke ovens with 4play, Dillon, Big E, and Allen. Broke in that new 690 right!!! One might say, "A good time was had by all."

(Big E skipped dessert after the ride, must of not been feeling well....):lol3

Thanks for puttin' up with me today!
  10. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Myself, Big-E, Dillon_Bernies, Hoosiertrailmaster & NDtransplant did a prerun of the Coke Ovens today. It is rockier & rougher than I've ever seen it. The typical "hardspots" were no worse than usual, but everything else was.
    To empasize how rocky, the wear on our tires was painfully obvious for such a short run. It was a fun day, no carnage (except for tires) & no one got hurt :thumb
  11. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    :fyyff .
  12. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    so did you move those rocks outta the way? I don't want to get my knobs dirty.
  13. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure wish I had a dirt bike for this ride. It's not real GS-friendly. I'll be thinking about you guys.
  14. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

You're not GS friendly.....:deal

:rofl

:lurk
  15. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm slab only until I get a dirt bike. But I haven't dropped a bike since that ride two years ago:D and I do manage to get in about 1k miles a month.
  16. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok if a Californio joins ya'll? I'm going to be visiting my son in Queen Creek and can bring my WR250R. Where is the departure point?

Dr. Bruce
  17. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Sure, there is a map early in the post to stage at the Superior High School.
    We typically park next to the tennis courts.
  18. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What time do we depart from Superior High School?

Apart from water, any special gear like extra tubes, extra handlebars? What is the range we should expect from our gas tanks?

Muchas garcias. :evil

BG
  19. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I just spoke to Big-E & with this many people we'll have the riders meeting at 7:30am which means you should be unloaded & most of your gear on before then. We'll divide into managable platoons & start heading out immediately after the meeting. The parking lot should be empty by 8am.
  20. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    RIDE Details:
    Ride at your own risk.
    I was asked about liability forms.
    Myself & a few others are offering to show the route to & from the Coke Ovens. If you decide to join us, you must assume full responsibility for yourself & your safety. If that is not acceptable don't come.

Riders meeting 7:30am
    You should be unloaded & mostly suited up prior to the meeting.

We'll divide into smaller groups of 10 or less & practice bump n go. There are several places that would be easy to miss a turn, so this is not optional.
    Each rider will make certain the rider behind him knows which way they went. Showing up at a checkpoint without your "buddy" will not be taken lightly. If you don't think you can manage to look after your fellow rider then I'd prefer you did not join us.

If you come to an intersection & you're not sure which way to go :dunno , STOP AND WAIT, someone will come back for you while the rest of us are beating the shit out of :thwak or at the very least verbally abusing the individual who didn't make sure you knew which way to go.

There will be traffic, other bikes, quads, side by sides & Jeeps frequent the entire route. Stay to the right & try not to become a hood ornament. Lots of rain wash outs that are not visible until you are on them. Lots of dust, don't ride faster than you can see, back off & let the dust settle. Remember the rider in front of you will make sure you don't miss the next turn. We just did a pre run Saturday Nov. 6th & this is the rockiest any of us have ever seen it. The usual pictured hard spots are no worse than usual, but the rest of the trail was.

If you show up late for the ride we will not wait on you. Nothing personal, but the rest of us did not get up early to wait on you.

This is a very rugged, remote, rocky son of a gun. Please use ATGATT. IMHO knee & elbow guards are not optional equipment, if you fall it will be on something hard and/or pointed. If you get hurt back there there is no easy way out, plan on paying for a helicopter ride.

You must be self sufficient, lots of water, snacks, tools/parts & ability to repair a flat etc. We plan to stop at Martinez cabin for a break ~10 am to regroup & snacks. I'm thinking it'll be close to 2pm by the time we get to eat lunch at Los Hermanos so plan your snacks & water accordingly.

We do not tolerate littering, you pack it in, you pack it out. We also try hard to be polite, give others plenty of room & gently pass them when it's safe to do so.

Only well maintained equipment should attempt this ride. Please air your tires up for this ride (I suggest 16psi minimum, I run 18 front & 16 rear on my 450), lots & lots of sharp rocks & ledges.

Please read all of the ride reports that where posted earlier & be sure you are up for this ride. Only half of the riders completed the ride last year. This ride is unique in that there is very little "cruising". From start to finish it's loose rock, washouts etc.

I'm not KLR bashing, but if you plan to show up on something that big and heavy, you'd better be very, very good on it. I've seen guys on the big KTM's make it look easy, but they were exceptional riders. Your call

Should be a blast :thumb